Thread: Fake Fern on Craigslist

Default Fake Fern on Craigslist

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msd/4725666583.html

Interesting. If I find the time I might drive up and go have a look, but just a cursory glance at the scroll tells me this instrument was nowhere near Kalamazoo in the '20s. A few of the details look all right, but many others are just far too crude. It's been around the block a bit; the seller's tale about it being re-necked might even be true, but I still think both neck and body are fake. Any ideas about who could be responsible for this?
    Last edited by mrmando; Oct-22-2014 at 1:20am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fake Fern on Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msd/4725666583.html

Interesting. If I find the time I might drive up and go have a look, but just a cursory glance at the scroll tells me this instrument was nowhere near Kalamazoo in the '20s. A few of the details look all right, but many others are just far too crude. It's been around the block a bit; the seller's tale about it being re-necked might even be true, but I still think both neck and body are fake. Any ideas about who could be responsible for this?
    I think someone took an F-4 (maple back), carved a new top, put on an F-5 neck, then used the F-4 tuners on the hybrid?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    I think someone took an F-4 (maple back), carved a new top, put on an F-5 neck, then used the F-4 tuners on the hybrid?
    Interesting, but how would you place a value on something like that? Sound and playability? Great wood?

Half of what's being asked for it should be fair...

I wonder if there's a FON anywhere inside.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

To quote F-5Loar
    "Run, Forrest Run!!!!"
    Or, Paraphrase Hank Hill
    " That mandolin ain't right,"
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Might be an opportunity. I read his ad and it sounds like he is mostly an electric guitar store....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Might be an opportunity. I read his ad and it sounds like he is mostly an electric guitar store....

I agree if they did not totally blow the top graduation I'll bet it sounds great --hard to know what the price should be. But around here if you I think you might be able get the asking price from a BG picker who might have a craving for a copy.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

How many necks would be around from an F-5 from the 1920's like this one? Or f-hole tops?

Kind of odd in my opinion, so just asking. I'll do some research on this but I thought they only made so many F-Model necks so the neck has to be a copy even if the body's from an f-4 and the top as well? So it's really an f-2 or f-4 hotrodded, but why not leave the label in there if it was an f-4?

I might check it out as I live in the area... interesting posts here.

It's not a real F5 neck.

You would remove the original F4 label if you were trying to fool someone into thinking this was a real F5 of any kind.