Thread: Neapolitan Canzone for mandolin and tenor: DROP BOX link

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Neapolitan Canzone for mandolin and tenor: DROP BOX link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxh3vxt1t...D_jlTjywa?dl=0

DROP Box folder contains 45 canzone for mandolin and tenor.

Other than a few classic ballo liscio titles such as “Quanno Tramonte” and “Comme Faccette Mammeta?” this Neapolitan Canzone collection of 45+ titles features the mandolin in two different roles: the mandolin as a solo instrument and the mandolin as it doubles the vocal line. This vocal genre was exclusively sung by a tenor accompanied by a mandolin.

Yes, we’ve entered the back alleys of Naples! Today, should you visit the back alleys of Naples, and if you’re lucky, you might run into a “posteggiatori.” (Alfredo Imparato is famous because he may be the last in this musical cultural tradition). We call him a public singer or street musician/singer. A Naples street musician is not really a busker; he belongs to the ages and represents the embodiment of the authentic Neapolitan song (canzone). It all started with an ancient annual poetry festival near Naples, at a church known as La Madonna di Piedigrotta. Fiercely competitive song-writing contests brought Italy’s finest poets and musicians. The only requirement was that the lyrics be written and performed in the Neapolitan dialect (some insist it is a language). When you combine the poetic words with the distinctly Neapolitan mandolin style, you hear the most mellifluous sound on earth. One would have no trouble calling these “art songs.”

So, the salon soon became the stage for canzone. It featured better-than-average mandolin players who could make a living while schmoozing with wealthy patrons. They were educated in the Neapolitan style of strumming, the tremolo, and the execution of melodic phrasing. By the late Victorian era, these canzone were popular concert pieces. You would have to don proper attire to attend because these songs for tenor and mandolin were debuted (sometimes with piano) in private and public salons in Rome, London, Paris, and even New York. Francis Ford Coppola’s maternal grandfather Francesco Pennino wrote several hundred canzone. (I own about 120+ Pennino originals but I am not quite ready to check all copyrights for upload). A few are included in this collection.

This repertoire may seem like a lost art today but I know there are mandolin players who are keeping it alive and well. And we thank you! Visit a university music department and those studying classical music learn the Neapolitan composers such as Paolo Tosti (also included in this uploaded collection). My own tenor learned how to sing a few songs at Sonoma State University. It’s not easy but this enriching experience is a neglected style of vocal expression.

Ok, Sheri is getting a little carried away. Maybe not.

In 2010, filmmaker John Turturro explored his own Italian roots to produce a documentary “Passione.” He singlehandedly revived the passion (!) for this music. Granted, much of the music in the film was excessively fused with North African (Arabic) rhythmic and vocal influences; and sometimes it was hard to hear the original beauty residing in the melodic line. Neapolitan canzone does, in fact, draw on the Arabic harmonic influence; however, personally speaking, the film was overwrought with it. Still, his film has fueled a renewed interest. I would strongly suggest watching it.

The songs I’ve uploaded fall into this street tradition and what is also known as the “balcony” tradition. The musician would be hired to play under a woman’s balcony while the romantic tenor would sing of his unrequited love. To learn more about this mandolin-guitar tradition check out these websites:
    www.annisitaly.com
    http://www.napoliunplugged.com/alfre...sic-alive.html

My friend Kathy Sherak wrote an interesting article on Alfredo Imparato. I’ve attached a photo of him on the streets of Naples with his mandolin player. John La Barbera has a couple of books which may prove helpful. Also, I have transcriptions of some titles but mainly, you’d have to find an old Neapolitan book in a pawn shop or vintage store, or travel to Naples! That’s your best bet if you’re going to learn more. Naturally, Youtube is helpful for authentic renderings by Caruso and more contemporary tenors.

Not every mandolin player has the opportunity, interest, or patience to learn this repertoire; of course, it is challenging to find tenors who can sing it in the Neapolitan dialect. Still, the melodies don’t need words to be enjoyed; especially when the mandolin can soar on its own; that may be all that is necessary.

Buoni Auguri! Sheri Mignano Crawford
    October 21, 2014
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alfredo-Naples.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	125214  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Neapolitan Canzone for mandolin and tenor: DROP BOX link

Thanks, for the amazing post, Sheri!

When I was teaching in Sesto Fiorentino, the main cook / chef in the kitchen was a huge Tosti fan. He was a great singer himself. I used to hang out in the kitchen and play mandolin and he would sing. Only gave me the tiniest hint of what you are describing in Napoli. He was a great singer, and even all the old hoary classics sounded reborn when he sang. Plus, I got to eat well and learn a bit about cooking.

I also appreciated your comments on the Turturro film. Those were my thoughts, exactly! I felt much of the music was amped up for a 'world music' type of audience rather than delving deeply into the traditional singing. I left the film wondering about that and whether the music really needs that type of hybrid to help keep it alive for younger performers and audiences. I honestly don't know myself, but I admit to being a bit disappointed. I can hear hybrid North African rhythms in many many places. Just like I can with certain hip-hop beats. They don't need to infect / influence everything.

You are right, there aren't a lot of resources on these topics here in the States, but you are one of them (!) and helping to preserve and expand this living legacy. I keep up my Italian study so I can access more material--but don't even get me started on trying to understand Neapolitan dialect. Many of my Italian friends say they can't! (But we say that about our Louisiana in-laws as well....)

I look forward to further conversation about this here.

you remain totally awesome, Sheri

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Blog Entries

Just Wow and thanks for that Sheri.
    Didn't Raffaele Calace have a hand in promoting many of the festivals? I seem to remember seeing loads of his festival publications in the www.federmandolino.it
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

much more than a hand! good marketing skills. Calace in Naples is sort of like Roland in Hollywood or Giulietti in Castelfidardo.

Default INDEX Neapolitan Canzone for mandolin and tenor: DROP BOX link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qwbi4lwt3...ndex.xlsx?dl=0

This index is for the mandolin-tenor canzone only. It is located in the Combined Indexes link but I thought I should upload it so you can see the sorts of titles that are in the new Canzone category.

Ciao, Sheri

I know it's not a mandolin but I'd love for you to play along with this fantastic 'tango canzone'. It would sound great on mandolin. "Un Giorno ti Dirò" --"Some Day I Will Tell You." I've added the 16-bar bridge that I heard on Youtube as sung by Nicola Artigliano. I like it so much that I wanted to record it.
    Attached my transcription here and invite you to be inspired by this haunting melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJ0qHFtXic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Un_Giorno_ti_Diro.pdf  

this should have been posted in the ballo liscio chat group. I just couldn't seem to delete this one. Sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valse_Espagnole_M1-M2-Mdola-Mcello-G.pdf  
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jun-05-2015 at 4:19pm. Reason: wrong chat group

I've updated the Neapolitan Canzone Index which is housed with the sheet music. You'll want to take a look at the new Pagani edition of "Marechiare" and compare it to Paolilli's. I prefer the Pagani.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

This link still takes you to the Neapolitan Canzone for mandolin and tenor but I've added a sub-folder that contains several "Folk Canzonetti" for mandolin, voice, and piano. You will see an Index for this new sub-category and an updated Neapolitan Index as well.
    Right now, the Folk Canzonetti contains only about 6 folk songs, almost all of them are arranged by Flaminio Pignoloni who was Pagani's right-arm man when it came to arrangements. These folk songs appeared in a large collection in 1934. Each song represents a region of Italy: Udine, Alpini, Bergamesco, Piedmontese etc

12. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post: