Thread: Sunburst Help Again

Default Sunburst Help Again

I haven't put varnish on it yet but how can I get the mandolin on the left to look more like the mandolin on the right.
    TIA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1693.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	125172
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Default Re: Sunburst Help Again

I recommend Guiness Stout.

3. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

Probably too late but you need an airbrush. They were in use in the late 19th century. Gibson was using them in the teens and 20's too. Small investment to do a proper job.

I could sand it and start again. How about this finish? A keg of Guiness?

Name:	IMG_1694.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	125176

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	125177
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz55 View Post
    I could sand it and start again. How about this finish? A keg of Guiness?
    First use more of the blue tape and it will look closet to the one on the right. :-)
    Now seriously. If you just want to blend the color transition you may still do it by hand. It may involve some very light sanding of dark spots and application of transition stain and some touchup to light streaks. All depends on what type of stain is already there and how did you apply it (soaked deep?) and what type of wood is there (pressed plywood, solid, spruce etc...)
    Search for video of John Hamlett doing sunburst on A4 mandolin on YT (and there was some discussion here after he uploaded it - anyone can find the link?), and watch it few times to see how it should be done. And, wood preparation is half of the result.
    Adrian

The one on the right isn't that flash either

I use the "poor man's airbrush"--a can a spray paint shot through a cardboard paper towel tube! I was going to add "just kidding" but in my youth I actually did a couple so-so sunbursts this way.

With a keg of Guinness I might be persuaded to come and provide moral support!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I think you just need more practice. Making a sunburst is not a natural or easy thing to do, so it takes skill, and to get that skill it requires practice. Get some scrap wood and cut it out in the shape of your mandolin, then go through the finishing steps as many times as it takes to get it right.

I generally spray my finishes, and lay down a seal coat of clear over which the color is applied. If the color doesn't go well I can sand it back to the seal coat and try again as many times as it takes to get it right. This seal coat prevents too much color from muddying up the wood. Once the color is acceptable I apply the clear coats.

11. The following members say thank you to Michael Lewis for this post:

FWIW...James Condino has a great video showing his way to get a sunburst.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...st-finish.aspx
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Hand rub the first coat of dye, then airbrush the sunburst. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Michael, I've been practicing on my brother's cheap mandolin that was stepped on by his kid. I repaired the broken neck. I think it is plywood not hardwood.
    Wildpikr I watched the Condino video. It was very instructional. I also watched John Hamlett's video here:
    Lastly, how do I clean Aniline dye off my hands now that my glove ripped? I used Alcohol based. Lastly, I think I work in a messy workshop.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	125346

Views:	149 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	125347

Views:	179 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	125348

Views:	142 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	125349

Views:	153 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	125350

Views:	139 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	125351

Views:	167 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	125352
    ~Carlos Castaneda