Thread: Vintage cases

Default Vintage cases

I have two vintage cases. One fits a 1919 A2 and the other 1922 A2. The '22 is a "Red line" case. Can someone give some general info on the distinction between the two cases and would the value of one be better than the other? How much does the case effect overall value of an instrument sale?

Default Re: Vintage cases

It'd be helpful if you can post pictures. I'm sure they are both great cases and make a nice package with the A2's. Recent eBay sales of A-style cases have been $100-$125. The Red Line cases were produced by Geib from the mid 1930's to early 1940's. So your 1922 A2 is in a later replacement case. The 1919 case could be by Geib & Schaefer or M&W. Look on the bottom to see if there is a trademark stamp. Many of these teens cases had no stamp. The other thing to look for is the raised design on the pocket lid. A diamond indicates Geib & Schaefer, and a double diamond is a Bull's Head case by M&W or their successor F&F. See the histories of these companies here: http://www.stevekirtley.org/vintagecases.htm

Steve

3. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    I have two vintage cases. One fits a 1919 A2 and the other 1922 A2. The '22 is a "Red line" case. Can someone give some general info on the distinction between the two cases and would the value of one be better than the other? How much does the case effect overall value of an instrument sale?
    The value of the instrument sale is the main factor. The case is extra. You might possibly have a case that's worth more than the mandolin to the right person.

Some of us take our vintage case pretty serious!

j.
    www.condino.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2447.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	125185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2474.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	125184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage tweed Gieb cases.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	332.9 KB 
ID:	125186  

nice Gibson guitar cases indeed!

those redline mando are nice too, had a truly mint one, pale 'Pullman car green' felt, before it was stolen along with my '35 A-50

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    I think having an original or an original era case "completes" the overall package and impression of the mandolin. And at resell time, which would you rather have, one with the original case or one with a newer non-original case?

Ever been to this Facebook site? Worth a visit! https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...ses/?pnref=lhc

Ever been to this Facebook site? Worth a visit! https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...ses/?pnref=lhc

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Burkhardt View Post
    That is Steve's FB page for his site linked to in post #2.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Looking for a source of reproduction 1920's case latches and locks. The new Master Model cases from Gibson seem to have new latches that look like the old ones. Any ideas?

There are a number of sources for the flip catches. The oval center locks are long out of production. Any new cases with these oval locks had to order a custom run of locks to be made. It's possible to buy an ancient violin case for $10 or so and steal the hardware. Here is the ONLY place on the planet that I've seen selling the oval locks: http://www.billcampbanjos.com/case%2...%20latches.htm

Feel free to drop by the Facebook group for Vintage Cases and discuss case repair and construction: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...strumentcases/

Steve

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm interested in buying a period correct a-model case.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I think having an original or an original era case "completes" the overall package and impression of the mandolin. And at resell time, which would you rather have, one with the original case or one with a newer non-original case?
    I am not sure I would spend a lot on an original case, as I would have to by another case, for better protection, anyway. I would put the vintage case aside, but probably never touch it again.

I never resell so I don't worry much about that part.

I know what you mean, it does complete the package. Its hard to say what that is worth to folks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hello, my name is Mike and want to ask a question about a case that comes with a 1916 Martin Style 3 bowlback mandolin that I have on hold. It needs some maintenance and wanted to know what to do to recondition the leather without damaging it. I don't have it yet so I have to use the pictures from the website. Kind of a cool case so I don't want to ruin it. Any sugestions? Thanks.

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/invent...le-3-bowl-back

...........Mike

What about saddle soap? It cleans and softens leather. If it too brittle maybe some base ball glove oil?

Black Gaffers tape is my Go to for covering the bare wood spots on my Old cases..

The original '22 A4 case has enough depth to let me leave The Tone Gard On.

I have another that is shallower, of similar vintage. my A'0' is in that one.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by d18dc View Post
    Hello, my name is Mike and want to ask a question about a case that comes with a 1916 Martin Style 3 bowlback mandolin that I have on hold. It needs some maintenance and wanted to know what to do to recondition the leather without damaging it. I don't have it yet so I have to use the pictures from the website. Kind of a cool case so I don't want to ruin it. Any sugestions? Thanks.

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/invent...le-3-bowl-back

...........Mike
    I guess it depends on how far gone it is. On "Fast and Loud" they hired a guy to "detail" an old English sports car. I believe it was a 40's or 50's Aston Martin. Anyway, he spent about 70 hours super cleaning this old car and when he was finished it looked like it had been repainted and reupholstered. Night and day difference. It had red leather bucket seats, which he removed and applied a certain lotion to them, not sure what, anyway, he was massaging them and squeezing them and basically, he really got into what he was doing--I'm sure they hammed it up for the TV show, but the results were amazing!

19. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

d18dc 

Quote Originally Posted by d18dc View Post
    Those are what we in the Loyal Order of the Bowl call "clownshoe" cases. They are very interesting and usually were used with higher end mandolins of that period. I guess the restoration of such a case would depend on how much you want to put into it. Frankly IMHO they are not particularly practical for carrying around your instrument but you might like to keep it with the Martin but get a modern-made bowlback case -- I like the reasonably priced ones sold by eBay seller violinking or the Eastman fiberglass ones (if you can still find those).

You prob want to contact a vintage luggage repairing shop. I am not sure if there is one near where you live. Just for reference, here is the case in question:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9013-7.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	127992
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

d18dc