Thread: Cajun Jams

Default Cajun Jams

Hi is there any Cajun jams in the Ft Worth area? or any one that is interested in getting together or starting a group for Cajun Music for fun and learning ,all it takes is just a few that are interested so if you are into Cajun and want to pull together a bunch of people , lets do it
    steven shelton

Default Re: Cajun Jams

Go to the Bravenet site: http://pub21.bravenet.com/forum/stat...mid=16&msgid=0

I know there are some cajun players up there. Too bad you aren't in San Antonio, that is one of the most active areas of Texas for Cajun players. They even have a monthly dance at the Sons of Herman Hall.
    I started a cajun jam here in Austin about 6 years ago that lasted about 3 years then died. It was fun while it lasted. We had several professional level players come including Tom Pittman of the Austin Lounge Lizards. Charles Thibodeaux of the Austin Cajun Aces came often.

I'll say this, mandolins don't stand up to the accordions very well. I stopped bringing mine to the jam and only took my La made squeeze box. Classic cajun band is fiddle, accordion, guitar with perhaps a triangle, though mandolins are seen from time to time. Pedal or Lap Steel is pretty good too. That's what Tom Pittman brought.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Thanks seems like I always end up in places where the music that I like are non existent until I move away then there all over the place , been reading about Austin and the music variety there which is really exciting but unfortunately its a long drive for me.
    steven shelton

I couldn't participate, darn it! I find Cajun music and singing captivating.

I will say that learning Cajun French is a real plus for anyone wanting to play Cajun music. Many people don't know that Michael Doucet the leader of the famous Beausoleil band did not speak any kind of french at first. He would sing phonetically without understanding until a native speaker asked him what language he was singing. He set about learning pretty quick after that. Singing is easily half the music, just as with Irish and old-time.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Cajun French , as heard in the Cajun music on the internet, is a really great sound. Almost like another instrument itself and quite unlike the sound of conversational French as we learned in school. Love it!!! The first time I heard it was in a movie back in the '70s I think, which had some fabulous Cajun music (and singing). I have forgotten the name of the movie, but the Cajun sound was electrifying.
    Last edited by bart mcneil; Nov-08-2014 at 6:13pm.