Thread: Morris A5 Question...

Default Morris A5 Question...

Hey all,

I just ran across a post with some pics of a Morris A5 mandolin. Boy what a Beauty it is!! First time I can remember seeing one.

One thing I noticed and wanted to ask about is the size of the body. It looks small. Smaller than other A style mandolins I have been seeing pics of.

Is it just a camera angle or trick of the eye that I am seeing or are they a bit smaller than usual A style mandolins?

I don't know the differences in various A mandolins like the A5 and if there is an A4 and so on. Are all A style mandolins basically the same size, give or take a bit, like the F style mandolins.

I ask because a USED one might be in my price range. I didn't find a web page for him, but did see a posting stating that his A5 sells new for $850. I don't know how old that post was and how much the prices could've changed by now. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Morris A5 Question...

Sonny doesn't have a web page, but has a very well-done Facebook page that shows what he has going on. I'm a big fan of his mandos,too. The prices have risen somewhat from $850. I believe his A style goes for about $1050 now. Still very reasonable, in terms of mandobucks, for what you get! Can't answer on the size of his mandos, but I've never heard any mention of them being differently sized. He seems to list his new mandos in the classifieds here on a regular basis. Keep an eye open there, or contact him on Facebook. Good Luck!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

3. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi, Nalajr:

I play a Morris A5 and like it very much. It may be the one you saw in the classifieds for $850. He dropped the price on it because people were turned off by the look of the osage orange back wood, which is beautiful but does not have tiger striping like maple. I jumped on it and got a great deal. Osage is the second hardest wood in the world, harder than maple, so it makes a terrific back wood.

Howard was a pleasure to deal with. The transaction was fast and he continues to give me great customer service if I have any questions. The tone of my A5 is nice and loud, focused, and dry sounding, like a Gibson. The neck is small compared to the Webers I've owned, feeling more like the Gibson MM necks I've felt. The action is easy. It feels stiff and crisp when I put new strings on, but that mellows as I play them in.

For what it's worth, I have played numerous mandolins in the same price range and the Morris trumps them by far. There's really no comparison to my eyes and ears. I won't name those brands. It's a solid, American made mandolin that Morris could justifiably charge twice the amount for, placing it in the price range of a used Collings MT.

Oh, and I don't think the overall profile is smaller than other As. It is not as deep as some As I've seen, as measured from the top wood to the back wood, and the neck is small. It also has a shorter fretboard than other As I've played. Sonny basically started with Stew-Mac instructions on how to build mandolins and has evolved from there. Mine is number 271. I think the Stew-Mac instructions are for very traditional As.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Does anyone know if Morris will make a mandolin with a wide neck (1 3/16" nut)? Everything I've seen advertised has the 1 1/8" nut width.

6. The following members say thank you to itstooloudMike for this post:

I just purchased a Morris flat top and a Morris two point mandolin. Both are great. As good as or better than mandolins costing twice as much or more. Excellent fit and finish. Beautiful tone. Intonation is spot on.

Howard is excellent to deal with. We wrapped up both purchases in no time flat and he shipped them two day express immediately.

I have two Eastman mandolins that I'm very disappointed with. They're both from 2006 and the finish is already checking around the scroll and binding. I have a 1953 Gibson A50 and the finish is still perfect. I'm going to sell the Eastmans shortly. The Morris mandolins were the perfect replacement. I highly recommend them over PacRim instruments in the same price price range or more.
    Last edited by chefmax; Jan-07-2015 at 7:16pm. Reason: Redundant sentence.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bridges View Post
    Sonny doesn't have a web page, but has a very well-done Facebook page that shows what he has going on. I'm a big fan of his mandos,too. The prices have risen somewhat from $850. I believe his A style goes for about $1050 now. Still very reasonable, in terms of mandobucks, for what you get! Can't answer on the size of his mandos, but I've never heard any mention of them being differently sized. He seems to list his new mandos in the classifieds here on a regular basis. Keep an eye open there, or contact him on Facebook. Good Luck!
    Sonny does not frequent Facebook, so the best way to contact him is by phone or e-mail (you can find his contact information on the "about" tab of the Facebook page). Michael, thanks for your comments regarding the Howard Morris Mandolin fan page on Facebook. I created and maintain the page, and I try to keep it properly updated as much as possible.

To the original poster, I am confident that Sonny's A-style mandolins are "standard" sized. I say this because I've owned two of them, and they were both perfect fits to standard aftermarket A-style mando cases. Give Sonny a call and I'm sure he can give you the exact dimensions.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itstooloudMike View Post
    Does anyone know if Morris will make a mandolin with a wide neck (1 3/16" nut)? Everything I've seen advertised has the 1 1/8" nut width.
    Hey Mike, I discussed Sonny's willingness to build a mandolin with a wider nut with him. The answer was yes and he was very willing to work the customer to make the mando fit their hands and needs.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

10. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Question Re: Morris A5 Question...

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hey Mike, I discussed Sonny's willingness to build a mandolin with a wider nut with him. The answer was yes and he was very willing to work the customer to make the mando fit their hands and needs.
    Hi lflngpicker, I have just emailed Sonny too and we have started dialogue. I see you also own a J.Bovier A5? If you have received your Morris, can you tell me how you like both? and how they compare? I am new but these are the two, so far, that I'm seriously considering... the only real thing I'm not fond of are the colors that the J.Boviers come in. Thanks!

12. The following members say thank you to unbridledv for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unbridledv View Post
    Hi lflngpicker, I have just emailed Sonny too and we have started dialogue. I see you also own a J.Bovier A5? If you have received your Morris, can you tell me how you like both? and how they compare? I am new but these are the two, so far, that I'm seriously considering... the only real thing I'm not fond of are the colors that the J.Boviers come in. Thanks!
    So sorry to be so slow, but I hope this is still relevant. I haven't received my Morris but it will arrive today. I do truly love my JB A5 Special-- a rich sound with great chop for rhythm. I use an oval hole to sing and accompany myself when I perform. I anticipate giving you a great report on my new Morris.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

14. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Blog Entries

Unbridledv-- My Morris A4 (Oval hole with a pickup installed) arrived and it is exquisite! I really like the tone and the sustain. He made mine with a 1-3/16" nut and with his radiused fretboard, this is a dream to play-- very low action and the volume is not compromised. I love the look, the quality and woods, and the tuners do a very good job (Grovers). I recommend Howard very highly as an honest and highly skilled mandolin builder. I hope you will order a custom mandolin-- it is a lot of fun to anticipate.
    2014 BRW F5 #114

16. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I emailed Howard a few weeks ago to ask about a flattop he had in the classifieds, and see if he had anything like it, but with a radiused fretboard. He offered to build me one to my specs for a few more dollars, and I took him up on it. My flattop arrived yesterday, and I have to say, I'm a Morris fan for sure. In just a few weeks, he built me the finest looking and playing flattop I've ever owned, including Army/Navy, MidMo/Muddy, Y2K/Aspen1, Flatiron, etc... It almost sounds like a regular, carved top and back oval hole mandolin. My fine but small collection of American small-shop built mandolins now consists of a Givens, an Old Wave, and a Morris. So far, I haven't encountered another builder whose prices and quality blow the really excellent imports we have now out of the water like Howard Morris does. Really a pleasure to deal with, and a very short wait for us impatient types. I had never seen one of his instruments in person, so it was a gamble. Nice when those work out so well. I'm impressed. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Russell For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

So glad to hear, Frank!
    2014 BRW F5 #114