Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HIGH DOLLAR PICKS....Yea or Nay?? Do you Use One or No Way??

Default HIGH DOLLAR PICKS....Yea or Nay?? Do you Use One or No Way??

Hey all,

Last night I was looking through some older threads talking about different picks. One of the picks that was mentioned was one that I had not heard of before. That's not strange as I haven't paid attention to any music stuff for several years. I can't remember the brand of these picks, but when I went to their website to check them out further, I was totally shocked. These picks were priced at $35 for some designs and a WHOPPING $75 for others. That was for 1 pick!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I left the site wondering how in the world does a single pick warrant such a price? Are they really THAT GOOD? Do they make other picks sound like total crap or what?

Do these picks really sound that much better than the other picks that cost much less than these? Do they improve your playing? What do these picks have that all the others don't?

I'm not busting on anyone that chooses to play one. I'm just curious about a pick that costs $75 per. I've never seen something like that.
    For those that do play them, do you regret buying one now or are you totally happy with them?

Thanks for your time.

nalajr

Default Re: HIGH DOLLAR PICKS....Yea or Nay?? Do you Use One or No Way??

Yes they do.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

I've been happy with my Fender 351 extra heavy picks..
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

5. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

I own two of the thickest, thus most expensive BC picks. I play mostly the thickest. Also Wegen and Red Bear picks get played on the mandolin. They're not cheap either. I work for a living and spend my money as I damn well please. On tenor banjo I use a Wegen TF140 and the new Dunlop in 1.4.
    Mike Snyder

7. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

There are noticeable sonic differences, but they may or may not float your boat. It doesn't matter what your hero use, it is how they sound on your instruments in your hands. In the grand scheme of things not so expensive when compared to a violinist's bow. All kinds of different strings, different picks, those little grommets that you put on the strings, armrests, the cage that some place on the backs of their instruments... they all change the tone ever so slightly. Many swear by them, some swear at them.

Gotta try them before you knock them. Or not.

If you play a good mandolin and want the best tone and volume it can provide then the money should not be an issue if it provides that sound. If a cheaper pick provides what you're looking for, than so be it. For many players out there $35 is not much to spend when you compare it to the thousands that were spent on the mandolin itself.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Try one and find out.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Bunting For This Useful Post:

The 75 responses that you will get on this post should muddy the waters up for you real soon. As has already been stated, try one. You can always sell/trade it in the classifieds if you don't like it.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Weaver For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

My picks are cheap pointy Ultex triangles that last approx. 9 hours of playing each. Compared to a more expensive one that might last forever, the price is being put in perspective. But none of the more expensive ones give me that tone I want. Your ears tell you what to use, not your wallet.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

15. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

dang 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I say "Nay" to pick threads.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... this is one topic that just keeps on coming .... Yes I spend money on picks .... I am a BC fan ..handmade anything in a machine shop environment is $$$$$$ .... I did lose one .. ouch ... it turned back up ... YAY! ... wear isn't an issue ..I really like that .. the "grip ability" is great ..another really cool factor... my living room carpet is that color which really sucks .... sooo yes I am glad I "invested " in a BC pick. But I readily say they " like anything else" aren't for everyone....... pick away ... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

The audience will never hear the difference with whichever pick you are using , but---------------- I can when I play and that is the reason I only use BC ! I have tried many other brand of picks and BC is the best to MY EARS !
    Last edited by yankees1; Oct-19-2014 at 7:40am.

The tone from a Blue Chip is nice but the thing I most appreciate is how well it grips. Amazing for a smooth surface. My hand is so much more relaxed when using it. My Wegen Trimus is now my second favorite pick.

We need to start a Pick Festival. Forget the music. We need a Pickstock.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

23. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Just bought a BlueChip SR50 the other day along with a V-pick Medium. I had been using a Dawg pick for quite awhile. I keep a Golden Gate in my pocket but never use it, a spare when I need one. On my music stand I have every possible combination of medium to heavy picks that might be suitable for mandolin from Fender to Ultex.

Well I didn't find any magic mojo with the $35 BlueChip but I really liked the $4 V-pick. And I still like the $1.89 Dawg pick but I wore it out. Even the V-pick shows a lot of wear after just one week. Don't think it'll last long.

Like most pickers I switch back and forth between picks at various times. My picking changes over time so it's natural that pick choice will change too. That BlueChip might prove to be the best investment in the long run if it doesn't wear out, but then again it's tone and attack that I'm looking for. In the end, the only thing I really know are the picks that absolutely don't work and don't fit the bill. And I got a pile of picks from cheap to expensive that do the job really quite well.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I just don't care...

26. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Blog Entries

I wonder whether it would be possible for a section of the forum to be created that would be a home for all these extremely numerous and oft-recurring sorts of threads - picks, strings, F versus A, etc - not a FAQ, but a FAQ section, so that people interested could

A) find what they want to know about such subjects, and
    B) not start yet another thread on them

It just seems that there are so many threads about some topics but enough people seem unwilling or unable to look for them. I know, sometimes people just want to chat, but if someone really wants to find answers to these questions, or just get others' opinions and then weigh them, they ought to be able to do so, easily.

I know, collecting, compiling, and coordinating so many threads would be a massive task - daunting, to say the least - but I would be willing to volunteer some of my time to such a project.

OK, never mind. As you were ...

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Well rather than sit here and complain about another pick thread I'll happily make a comment about picks. Coming from a guitar background where I used picks given away by the music store I was totally dumbfounded at the prices of some of the mando picks. I don't think I ever spent more than a quarter for a guitar pick when I did buy one. Of course that was some 50 years ago. I've tried several mando picks but admittedly none of the high end ones. However, I have settled on one that I really like--Jim Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm. Its good and stiff, textured on both sides so its easy to hold on to and costs about 75 cents.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I wonder whether it would be possible for a section of the forum to be created that would be a home for all these extremely numerous and oft-recurring sorts of threads - picks, strings, F versus A, etc - not a FAQ, but a FAQ section, so that people interested could

A) find what they want to know about such subjects, and
    B) not start yet another thread on them
    This has been suggested so often that one category in that section would be the "Recurring threads threads". And the threads that deal with those threads...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

31. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

dang 

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I started a thread a while ago about the dawg pick i had one that came from a David Grisman concert, at first i didn't like it. Seemed to take the highs away, but now i use it a lot more, i still use my Dunlop pick mostly ani keep lots of different picks in my pocket so i can try different ones, tried av pick but a little big. need to try a smaller one next
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    This has been suggested so often that one category in that section would be the "Recurring threads threads". And the threads that deal with those threads...
    Of course, that may well be true. And of course, I didn't do a search on the subject before posting.

34. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Try one. (if you already know your pick preferences, ie thickness, round or point etc-it is my experience that these change over time as your technique changes)

I did, only so as to know what all the hubbub was about. Initially, I also balked, because they are so much more than any other, and they appear similar.

FWIW, I can tell you that it IS the material used which merits the price. Soimethign like $1300.00 for a couple of sq feet! Supremely expensive, self lubricating and very long lasting. Developed for medical and military and space applications.

Are they the best, absolutely.
    Are they worth the price? Only you can make this decision, not unlike trying chocolate or vanilla. No number of comments or testimonials will substitute for your final decision.

I have since lost my TAD 60 1R, and have no idea how or where, as im usually very meticulous-probably digging into the change pocket in my jeans and inadvertently dragging it out along with another???

Which is what gave me pause about buying the damned thing in the first place.

I say to you, when it comes to strings and picks, just spend some money and make your own decision, they are not so costly as to prohibit a bit of "daring and adventure" LOL. Then you too can be an authority on this forum.

I have yet to replace it as I'm pretty happy with some others a fraction of the price, but will eventually i think. I don't miss it that much.

It seems to me, that the OP has already posted elsewhere that these are the finest picks, so im a bit confused about this thread. Did you get one?

I don't understand why anyone takes time to post in a thread when he/she doesn't like the thread. If you don't want to read another thread about picks, I say don't.

Regarding picks, I've got an extra Primetone Mando pick (my current favs) that I'd be happy to send to someone wanting to try one out (for free, to keep of course). I think these are the best things going. PM me.
    Last edited by Caleb; Oct-19-2014 at 12:57pm.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Why does my pick cost so much? For that matter:

Why does my mandolin (guitar, fiddle, banjo, etc.) cost so much?
    Why does my housing cost so much?
    Why does my transportation cost so much?
    Why do my hobbies costs so much?
    Why does food cost so much?
    Why does my family cost so much?

We all make decisions about what we're willing to pay -- and what can afford to pay -- for all the things that are important to us. We all have different priorities, and also different abilities to pay. And these change during the course of a lifetime.

At some point, it's just plain SILLY that people continue to write threads that seem to question these expenses, over and over again. There are usually free markets that decide such things, and they are driven by people's needs and wants, and by the availability of the items.

SO: If you don't want to pay $35 or $75 for a pick, then don't! But if you want to know if a $35 or $75 pick is "WORTH IT," then that depends entirely upon whom you ask! Some people will say yes. Others will say no. The exact same answer holds for whether the pick "sounds that much better." And finally, if you want to know if the pick is any good, then you simply have to try it for yourself, and not pose silly questions like this. Please, let's discourage these repetitious, go-nowhere threads -- the OP's question borders on trolling.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post: