Thread: Help identify an old bowl back mandolin

Default Help identify an old bowl back mandolin

Hi wondering if you could help identify a mandolin. The label is ripped but it says frank ______ and sons silver______ mandolin west New York New Jersey
    https://m.facebook.com/isaiah.desent?ref=bookmark
    Last edited by Isd5793; Oct-18-2014 at 8:54pm. Reason: Double post

Default Re: Help identify an old bowl back mandolin

[QUOTE=Isd5793;1333977]Hi wondering if you could help identify a mandolin. The label is ripped but it says frank ______ and sons silver______ mandolin west New York New Jersey
    [url]

http://imgur.com/GsscZL8
    http://imgur.com/SAib63V
    http://imgur.com/w5BEQVp

Maybe this helps... more convenient to post pics here.

Unfortunately those are pretty fuzzy pics. That is an interesting looking mandolin.

i would think this might be a mandolin that was imported to a store in West New York, NJ. The store may have put their own label in it.

In any case, it is doesn't resemble much anything I have seen in the past.

BTW the bridge is located way too low on the body. It prob should be on the soundhole side of the fold in the top. I doubt it will intonate correctly where it is right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAib63V.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	125070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w5BEQVp_sm.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	125071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GsscZL8.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	125072  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Research Frank Converse instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
    Research Frank Converse instruments.
    Hmmm... could be, but Converse was a well-known banjo player and wrote method books in the minstrel era. Possibly he had a store but I doubt he built mandolins (or even banjos), maybe just sold them
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Well, "Frank B. Converse" shows up in the Mugwumps index as "New York 1884-1898," which sounds pretty close geographically and time-wise. He also patented a banjo tailpiece design, which he assigned to another maker; this Mugwumps discussion of banjo tailpiece designs states that banjos built by Stratton and Buckbee were marked "Converse" and distributed by someone named Hamilton Gordon. Here are some pics of a mandolin marked "The Gordon" and sold by Hamilton Gordon in NYCity -- but it doesn't look like the OP's mandolin.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I did see that listing on mugwumps but that lost was originally all banjo makers. Of course, there is some overlap and it is quite possible that the label said Converse but it is also likely that it wasn't and also that it was not made by Converse. I get the feeling that Converse was more the player and teacher and that he had others make banjos for him with his name on them. Same might go for mandolins, tho I am not sure if he had anything to do with West New York, NJ (across the river from New York City).

Anyway, we might be barking up either the right tree or the wrong one. Who knows?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: