Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Swirly Ear Snapped Off - Normal Or...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Swirly Ear Snapped Off - Normal Or...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post

But it's really about the music, not the instrument, right?
    Apparently.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I hate it when the ear snaps off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrokenEar.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	125130  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I hate it when the ear snaps off.
    It's a BG tradition!

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jenner View Post
    Apparently.
    Pete-

Do I detect a sense of irony in your response? hehheh

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post
    The F style as we know it has been around since early in the 1900's. Had it not been made popular by Bill Monroe and Bluegrass, the F would probably just be a foot note to history by now, but who knows?

I don't make 'em or play 'em so I can't answer your question about why the design hasn't been remediated yet. That's a question for Gibson, who foisted the design off on the world originally, and the people who continue the tradition of building them today.

But it's really about the music, not the instrument, right?
    yea i am starting to read up on the history of mandolins in the last century and see how the F came about. I mean i do really appreciate the aesthetics of the design; it's like art. music and art together. it's just that you would think as they started building these and people kept popping them off that manufacturers would say we need to fix this design flaw otherwise people will be breaking them all the time and complaining.

at the end of the day it is about the music. i totally agree on that. i have an F style and an A style now and i like both of them. i think the A style is a little easier to play for me right now but that may just be something as simple as what strings are on it. i picked about the mandolin because of the sound; not the sight. i am tall with large fingers so i definitely did not pick it up for the sight. playing on such small frets and holding the mandolin is a challenge all its own. those things are playing a lot more into the sound i get out of it than say a full size acoustic guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Now all you need is a cowboy hat and Bill is back...
    i don't have cowboy hats but i do have some hacienda type hats i could try lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff mando View Post
    it's a bg tradition!
    bg?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
    bg?
    Bluegrass. Referring, I guess, to Bill Monroe's mutilated F-5 headstock. Word is that Monroe carried around the broken-off scroll for years, always intending to get it re-attached or replaced. Finally Gibson got hold of his mandolin and repaired the headstock, did a bit of work on the body; they re-inlayed their logo, which Monroe had gouged out due to dissatisfaction with an earlier Gibson factory repair.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

ok, so i finally found the manufacturer's number. i called and they basically said they do not deal with end users directly; that i would have to go through my dealer. i asked how i would know if the dealer actually spoke to them and they said to ask who they spoke to and they could confirm on manufacturer end. Long story short I didn't have to go that far into this. i called the dealer back and went into more detail about what happened. They were gracious enough to provide a stipend to fix it for this 1 time. They did not ask but i asked if i could relay who they were in this thread because i think that any dealer who would put themselves out for a customer and manufacturer like that definitely deservers a shout out. it's the least i could possibly do.

In my case the dealer was....'The Mandolin Store'

Again they did not have to offer to fix it however once i explained my situation in detail they immediately offered to fix it without any hesitation whatsoever. They understood that I am new to Mandolins in general and took my word that I was not purposely damaging the instrument. All in all a class act in my book. Thank you 'The Mandolin Store'!!!
    i will definitely keep them in mind for any future purchases; if for nothing else than the peace of mind knowing they back up their product line. Honestly it's not about the money. I do feel a hell of a lot better knowing that this dealer backs up their product even for newbies like me. You know everyone throws a warranty on things these days but most do knowing no one will ever call them out on it. These guys backed it up without any hesitation and i respect that. I will definitely look to them 1st on my future purchases. I just hope that they don't blacklist me now for being a PITA lol (just kidding). oh and i asked their permission to post this before doing so (in case anyone was interested).

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Good deal! Glad it worked out for you. Always good news when a company stands behind what they sell and honors their part of the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ... they re-inlayed their logo, which Monroe had gouged out ...
    Um, no, not exactly. They replaced the headstock plate. Monroe gave the original gouged-out one to one of the Gibson employees who got that ball rolling. It was sold at auction Dec. 3, 2009 for $37,500.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

After years of careful pursuit it was Rendell Wall from the Gibson company who got Mr. Bill to allow the repairs and restore the peghead. At least that's the story Rendell tells.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I would have it fixed by a competent luthier. Chances are you won't even be able to see the break when they are done.
    Living’ in the Mitten