Thread: Mid Missouri

Are these mandos any good. I was looking through a catalog and those Missouris caught my eye. They are pretty good priced and from what i hear they are good mandolins. And the style is something different so i think i would want to try em. Anyone have or played one?

Sure, played lots of 'em. Also got a tour of the factory. Great mandos made by great people.

They're a great value. They are very nicely made, play well, and have a very nice sound. I think for the price, they're very tough to beat. They're my top recommendation for a first instrument and also make a nice second instrument no matter what else you may eventually get.
    Bob DeVellis

What they said. Very well made, good sound, excellent value.

I played every model in their lineup last week and liked each one. I think the M-11, all mahogany, was my favorite. The one with the rosewood back was pretty sweet, too.

I had a Weber Yellowstone that I had to sell. My finances improved, not enough for another Weber, but enough for a Mid-Mo. The shop where I bought my Yellowstone also sells Mid-Mo's. Stopped in, played an M-3, and took it home with me.

I put Thomastik Medium strings on it, and I love this mandolin. Someday I will upgrade, but with the Mid-Mo, there's no hurry.

One great mandolin.
    I play badly enough not to be terribly good, and good enough not to be terribly bad.

I love my Mid-Mo M-11. "No frills, no plywood", as they say. Wonderful instrument, solidly built, great sound.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

I've had my Mid-Mo for a little over a year and have roughly 1200 hours of hard playing on it. I figure if it breaks in half tomorrow I will have got my money's worth. But I expect it to last for a long time.. Under daily playing the nickle(?) is wearing off the tail piece but it still works quite well. I don't think you can do any better for the price. You will be getting a no-frills, nice sounding, quality mandolin. These mandos are sold by the best stores often as their lowest cost serious mando..

I don't think you can do much better for a first mandolin.
    Bart McNeil

Another vote for the M-11. Go Mid-mo!

I have played a Mid Missouri M-4 rosewood for a bit over 4 years. I made an ebony pick guard for it, have also installed a Weber tailpiece and am about to put on the Cumberland Acoustics armrest that I received yesterday. I am thinking that down the road I will install a better set of tuning machines.

This is probably all the mandolin I will be owning, so I want to improve it. If I bought another instrument it would be another Mid Missouri in a different wood. I play folk music, so a carved top is not a necessity, (I own a Samick A, a nice mandolin)

I often pipe up to support Mid Missouri. They may not be for everyone, but I like mine.

I love my M2. Nice tone, quite a bit of volume. My next mando will be an f-hole, maybe a Collins MT or an Old Wave, but I won't be getting rid of the Mid-Mo.
    Hondo

The Mid Mo's are mighty fine. I've played a bunch of them and they are very consistent in terms of tone, volume, fit and finish. I'd choose a Mid Mo over a similar priced Pac Rim any day of the week. For a little more dough, you may be able to find a used Flatiron 1N. These little flat tops are mighty fine too.

Yet another vote for the M-11. I wish I would have done my homework better, I would have gotten it as a first mando. As it stands, I've got three mando's and my Mid-mo is still the one to get the most play time. I don't think you could go wrong with any one of them.
    Mandolin-one of the few things that gets better when you keep picking it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Glen Simpson tells us, "#I made an ebony #pick guard for it, have also installed a Weber tailpiece..."

I have often wondered about what a cast tailpiece would do for these, and when I had a Mid-Mo octave here I wanted very much to install one, but a pal offered me too much money for the MM OM at a ... 'sensitive' financial time, and I let it go.

Can you tell us what the Weber tailpiece changed in your M4?

Thanks!

stv

I just played a mess o' mandos yesterday at Mandolin Brothers, and while I like the LOOK of many other mandolins better, the Mid-Mo's SOUND wonderful... much better than you'd think... very open sound, and with nice low action that is easy to play. DEFINITELY a good buy, sound-wise, for the money... IMHO, much better to spend that amount of $ on a Mid-Mo than on a low-priced F...unless you're concerned with that F image.

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Hi, I found that the Weber tailpiece seems to give me volume improvement. It seems like I just lightly touch the strings as I play. I have been in a church group with electric guitar and bass. I don't have any trouble playing with them. Tone was always sweet and still is. It seems like it is really nice right after I change strings. Due for a change now in fact.

I finally own my "dream" guitar (Regal resonator),and my "dream" banjo, (Deering Goodtime). My next move is to get my "dream" mandolin, the Mid-Mo! (As soon as Carol lets down her guard and turns her back.) I have tried them and love them. It will be a nice visual match for the Goodtime as well.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

I just spent a sweet 1/2 hour in the park, in the sun, by a fountain playing fiddle tunes on the M-11. Ahhhhh.

This is a Good Friday.

Lovely mandolins! Great people.

You can't go wrong. The price is right. Great low end for new flat-top instruments. We like the M4 around here. The wider nut width is a nice bonus, by special order. Ebony fretboard, ebony fixed saddle ... hard to beat, really.