Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domra

Default Re: Domra

Mentioning Tamara, this old chestnut still gets me worked up:

The 4 string Domra Prima from Ukraine is essentially a 4 string Acoustic Mandolin w/ a Circular Body used in Balalaika Ensembles. It's not related (nor came from) the Dombra because they're tuned & shaped differently.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7977-684x1024.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	212034

Tucker the Mandolinist TuckerTheMandolinist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
    The 4 string Domra Prima from Ukraine is essentially a 4 string Acoustic Mandolin w/ a Circular Body used in Balalaika Ensembles. It's not related (nor came from) the Dombra because they're tuned & shaped differently.Click image for larger version. 

Could you tune a Domra like a mandolin? I've used a balalaika in some of the bluegrass songs I've made, but maybe a GDAE Domra is more palatable.
    "has to be either place making, place finding, or place adapting. or the secret 4th option of course, which is to be miserable"
    -Bill Wurtz

This is a 9 plus year old thread. Oscar, no one mentioned anything about a Dombra. Tucker, read the old posts. 4-string domras are usually tuned GDAE.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This is a 9 plus year old thread. Oscar, no one mentioned anything about a Dombra.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    The name, too hints at the lineage:

domra - dombra - dambura - tambura all linguistically related, showing an Greek/Anatolian/Central Asian ancestry.
    Read the old post #9 Jim - dombra is definitely mentioned. You seem to dislike Oscar reviving old threads. What benefit is it to point that out? I revive posts occasionally myself. If you don't like the practice why not just ignore the post? It seemed of value to Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post

Oscar, I think David was saying they are related linguistically - not physically. The 3 string Domra (as we know it) came to be in 19th Century Russia if I remember correctly. The Dombra in Central Asia in the Middle Ages.

"In 1896, a student of Vasily Vasilievich Andreyev found a broken instrument in a stable in rural Russia. It was thought that this instrument may have been an example of a domra, although at that time no illustrations or examples of the traditional domra were known to exist (the traditional domra was only known through numerous mentions in folklore, though examples existed of the dombra, a related Turkic instrument). A three-stringed version of this instrument was later redesigned in 1896, patented, and introduced into the orchestra of Russian folk instruments." "Государственный академический русский оркестр им. В. В. Андреева" [State Academic Russian Orchestra. V. V. Andreeva]. Andreyev Orchestra. Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Denko View Post
    Read the old post #9 Jim - dombra is definitely mentioned. You seem to dislike Oscar reviving old threads. What benefit is it to point that out? I revive posts occasionally myself. If you don't like the practice why not just ignore the post? It seemed of value to Tucker.
    I love to hear about foreign instruments and their history.

The flag make have gone up with Oscar’s ID thumbnail which makes a statement about Covid vaccines. It’s a contentious subject. And in fact most types of politics are avoided on the forum, it’s one of the reasons we all seem to get along reasonably well.

Other contentious subjects include sex and violence, which of course includes war. Remembering that some people have a very low tolerance for one compared to the other. Yes, we’re all very different.

So back to

As far as I know, there is no official rule on the forum that prohibits reviving old posts...as you say Denko, if you are not interested, ignore it...for me it has been interesting to know that there is a Domra that is tuned like the mandolin...I didn't know...I really like music playing on domra...I wish I had one...
    Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life. Auerbach.
    The rejection of 'the others' is a tragedy of the human being; If it comes from emigrants, an added horror!

9. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Denko 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This is a 9 plus year old thread. Oscar, no one mentioned anything about a Dombra. Tucker, read the old posts. 4-string domras are usually tuned GDAE.
    1, Nobody mentioned anything about not being able to mention a dombra. 2, There is no further information about a Domra on this thread, so I apologize for not knowing how a foreign instrument that I have never heard of is tuned.
    "has to be either place making, place finding, or place adapting. or the secret 4th option of course, which is to be miserable"
    -Bill Wurtz

Tucker - I don't believe you have anything to apologize for. (I think you were being sarcastic.) If you go to page one, the 1st and 3rd posts do mention the GDAE tuning. That being said, it might have been more polite to point that out to you like:

Hey Tucker welcome to the forum. The 4-string Ukrainian Domra is typically tuned GDAE. This was mentioned on page one of this thread.

Again, welcome and best of luck. Саша
    Last edited by Denko; Feb-08-2024 at 4:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Denko View Post
    Tucker - I don't believe you have anything to apologize for. (I think you were being sarcastic.) If you go to page one, the 1st and 3rd posts do mention the GDAE tuning. That being said, it might have been more polite to point that out to you like:

Hey Tucker welcome to the forum. The 4-string Ukrainian Domra is typically tuned GDAE. This was mentioned on page one of this thread.

Again, welcome and best of luck. Саша
    Thank you. I didn't realize there was more than one page.
    -Bill Wurtz