Thread: New Stelling S5Q

Default New Stelling S5Q

Here is a peek at my new Stelling S5Q #144. The wife and I picked it up from Stelling on Oct. 7. The whole experience was wonderful. Lucky for me, when I called to inquire about a build, Geoff had just started one. I put my name on it and 2-months later here she is. The luthier, David Houchens, sent me pictures of the whole build. That was nice, filling in the gap while I waited. I have admired this mandolin since July 1997, when it was pictured on the cover of Acoustic Musician. I think I've found my new best friend here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141013_131400.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	124852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141013_131315.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	124853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141013_131342.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	124854  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141013_131415.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	124855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141007_121209.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	349.8 KB 
ID:	124856  
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kowboy For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: New Stelling S5Q

Quote Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
    Here is a peek at my new Stelling S5Q #144. The wife and I picked it up from Stelling on Oct. 7. The whole experience was wonderful. Lucky for me, when I called to inquire about a build, Geoff had just started one. I put my name on it and 2-months later here she is. The luthier, David Houchens, sent me pictures of the whole build. That was nice, filling in the gap while I waited. I have admired this mandolin since July 1997, when it was pictured on the cover of Acoustic Musician. I think I've found my new best friend here.
    Enjoy your Stelling! I own S5 # 119, gift from my wife a few years back. It is a gem, plays like butter, sounds incredible, and gets compliments everywhere I take it, wish the same applied to my playing!

4. The following members say thank you to Pjones3 for this post:

Kowboy 

Default Re: New Stelling S5Q

Stellings are at the top of the food chain! Congrats.

6. The following members say thank you to cayuga red for this post:

Kowboy 

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    Enjoy your Stelling! I own S5 # 119, gift from my wife a few years back. It is a gem, plays like butter, sounds incredible, and gets compliments everywhere I take it, wish the same applied to my playing!
    That makes 3 Stelling owners on the Cafe, that I know of. I've talked w/ Lance, "Bluegrass warehouse", who owns #142 w/ special inlays and a Stelling Banjo to boot. He loves his as well.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

Here is the Magazine that inspired my purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
    Here is the Magazine that inspired my purchase.
    I've a Stelling banjo to boot as well!!! Whitestar, late 70's I believe. Walnut, loud, and heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    I've a Stelling banjo to boot as well!!! Whitestar, late 70's I believe. Walnut, loud, and heavy!
    I have a time line that I've put together on The Stelling mandolins. #119 was more than likely built by David Houchens.

Stelling Timeline.

#1-59 S1, S2 & S3 Built in California by: Kim Breedlove #1 finished on 03/12/1979

#60-#79 S5's Built in California by: Kim Breedlove. Last Ca. mandolin = 01/1982

#80 Incomplete mandolin, finished at unknown date by unknown builder. in Virginia

#81-?? Virginia Production started by John Hamlet, April 1990

#?? - 116 Ward Elliot I do understand that he did build #96 in 1990

#117-#144 Built by today's present builder: David Houchens.

Jiri Lebeda built the Check mandolins carrying a different numbering system. 34 total mandolins were built by Jiri from 1998 - June 2003 and carried the LS5 designation.

I would like to hear from anyone that could help or add to this list. Hopefully John Hamlett or David Houchens. Thanks in advance.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

All I can tell you (from my own records, and from memory, I no longer have Stelling's records) is that I built Stelling mandolins #80 through #86 and also #115. The uncompleted one that was in the attic of the Stelling shop was built by Kim Breedlove. The top had collapsed and Kim had replaced the top but hadn't finished it. Darrin Lawrence, former Stelling employee resurrected it and finished the top, and it became #79. Kim had built through #78, and when I started building Stelling mandolins again I jumped ahead to #80 just to have a starting number that was more like a starting point than #79, so 79 was an unoccupied number, so to speak. I would guess that #119 was built by Ward Elliot because he was still building mandolins for Stelling when I made #115, so that's pretty close to the same time period. The label will identify the builder.
    The one on the cover of Acoustic Musician is #86, if I'm not mistaken, and it is the same one pictured in your avatar.

12. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Kowboy 

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    All I can tell you (from my own records, and from memory, I no longer have Stelling's records) is that I built Stelling mandolins #80 through #86 and also #115. The uncompleted one that was in the attic of the Stelling shop was built by Kim Breedlove. The top had collapsed and Kim had replaced the top but hadn't finished it. Darrin Lawrence, former Stelling employee resurrected it and finished the top, and it became #79. Kim had built through #78, and when I started building Stelling mandolins again I jumped ahead to #80 just to have a starting number that was more like a starting point than #79, so 79 was an unoccupied number, so to speak. I would guess that #119 was built by Ward Elliot because he was still building mandolins for Stelling when I made #115, so that's pretty close to the same time period. The label will identify the builder.
    The one on the cover of Acoustic Musician is #86, if I'm not mistaken, and it is the same one pictured in your avatar.
    Thanks John Hamlett. I see that this is probably a little more complicated than I once thought. I kind of get obsessed w/ thing like this. Stelling does put in quite a nice label. I could not be more happier w/ the mandolin that David Houchens did build. I think a matching A would kind of nice.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

I have always wanted a Stelling. I like that open scroll!

15. The following members say thank you to Zissou Intern for this post:

Kowboy 

The first mandolin I built for Geoff was #117. 28 total if my quick math is still working. Almost half of the F5 mandolins I've made have been Stellings. Most were finished by his finish people at the Stelling shop. This is only the second one I've done the finish on. One was at his shop when I was doing his spraying, with his materials. #144 is the only one I've built that has nitrocellulose lacquer on it. This one was built and finished in my shop.

17. The following members say thank you to David Houchens for this post:

Kowboy 

Thanks for the information David. You know that you are building great mandolins when they start getting stolen. I'm referring to #138 a left handed model, stolen from it's owner in Brunswick, Australia. Today was a special day for me. I got to jam a bit w/ my 14 year old Grandson. Seems he is picking up the guitar. Can't wait to teach him Elk River Blues. My son also got into the action. He has my 2001 Gibson F5L. He drools like a hound looking at a steak when he hears the Stelling. I'm loving it. Thanks again David.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

Very nice mandolin! I know you will love it! You asked for some more information for a timeline of Stelling mandolins. This is what I have printed from a Janet Davis webpage on July 18, 2007 when I was still dreaming of owning one:

Description & Specifications from Geoff Stelling

"The S-5 is currently being built by David Houchens who worked for me for almost nine years. He lives about ten miles from me and comes to my shop quite often. He now does full time repair work on all stringed instruments in addition to building. David delivers the mandolins to us strung up but unfinished. We stain and finish them and reassemble and set them up in our shop. The top wood is now red spruce and is hand cared to exact dimensions as are the curly maple back and neck. We generally string them up with D'Addario J75's. The cases are made in Oilville VA by TKL. The tuners are Schaller and the tail piece is Allen. Another ad will be in BU that explains the 34 Czech mandolins and the 120 plus Stelling made S models since 1979. Kim Breedlove made the first 79 Stelling mandolins up to Nov. 1982, his last 20 being S-5's. His design was basically a copy of the Loar. John Hamlett, another long time Stelling employee, made from serial #80 in 1990 to #86 in Feb. 1994.

Ward Elliott, the only non Stelling employee, made #87 through #117 from 1995 till 2001. David Houchens started making them in the Stelling shop in April of 2004 having learned quite a bit from John Hamlett and Ward Elliott. He left Stelling Banjo Works in July '04 to build and do repair work full time in his own shop.

Geoff"

I have another printoff from here on the cafe on July 22, 2007 from John that says, "Geoff's account isn't exactly accurate. Mine were serial numbers 80 through 86 then number 115. The ones in between were built by Ward." Which John mentioned already above. Plus David said above that his started with #117, so it looks like Ward's actually ended with #116, not #117 as Geoff had mentioned.

As an aside, if I remember correctly, Kim Breedlove is Geoff's brother in law. As another aside, I have a full color Stelling catalog and price list from 1999 of all the banjos, mandolins, and guitars available then. At some time I would like a Stelling guitar. I don't play guitar, but would like to have one just because. Also, when I picked up my mandolin a couple of years ago, Geoff was building a bass fiddle for himself. Now I need one of those too!

Lance

20. The following members say thank you to BluegrassWarehouse for this post:

Kowboy 

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassWarehouse View Post
    if I remember correctly, Kim Breedlove is Geoff's brother in law.
    Was.

Thanks Lance. Looks like what you have is in sync with what I believe to be most accurate. I have my MAS under control a little bit better than you at the moment. I've always been a one girl kind of guy. However, When I look into the future, I can see David building me an A just for kicks. The fact that I have 2 grand sons to leave one to is a motivator. That's what I'll tel the WFO. Right now I'm living the dream playing on this one.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

I wonder what the ad in Bluegrass Unlimited had to say about all of the mandolins. Anyone have any back issues with the ad? It would probably be sometime in 2007. I sure would like to have a copy if anyone has it.

Lance

Hey Lance, I've got a copy of Bluegrass Unlimited, March 2005, coming in the mail. I'll let you know what is inside re: Stelling. I think that is what you're asking? I just put my copy of The Acoustic Musician Magazine in a frame. Looks good hanging on the wall.

I wonder what the ad in Bluegrass Unlimited had to say about all of the mandolins. Anyone have any back issues with the ad? It would probably be sometime in 2007. I sure would like to have a copy if anyone has it.

Lance
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

In the description of the S5 on Janet Davis' site, Geoff says that "Another ad will be in BU that explains the 34 Czech mandolins and the 120 plus Stelling made S models since 1979." That was in 2007, so I am guessing the ad was going to be sometime in 2007 as well. I was just curious what information the ad had about the mandolins. I would like a copy to put with my full color catalog and printouts of other information about Stelling mandolins.

Lance

In the description of the S5 on Janet Davis' site, Geoff says that "Another ad will be in BU that explains the 34 Czech mandolins and the 120 plus Stelling made S models since 1979." That was in 2007, so I am guessing the ad was going to be sometime in 2007 as well. I was just curious what information the ad had about the mandolins. I would like a copy to put with my full color catalog and printouts of other information about Stelling mandolins.

Lance
    Gottcha! I believe EBAY has the complete 2007 year for $25 plus S&H.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

If I remember correctly (and that's not always a given, these days), didn't C.E. Ward build for Stelling for awhile? His were some of the most desirable ones...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Quote Originally Posted by D C Blood View Post
    If I remember correctly (and that's not always a given, these days), didn't C.E. Ward build for Stelling for awhile? His were some of the most desirable ones...
    Ward Elliot is the luthier that you are thinking about. I understand that he did build some great ones. I would not want to take anything away from the others such as J Hamlett or today's builder, David Houchens. Right today, David is turning out great mandolins. I've admired Stellings since 1997 and could not be more pleased with what I received many years later. I am of the opinion that there are many excellent luthiers out there. I also know that not every mandolin turns out the same. It's not like little league w/ everyone getting a trophy. I did get lucky!
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

I just received a copy of Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine. It's the March 2005 Annual Instrument issue. Inside their is a six page write up on The Stelling Banjo Works. Everything is covered here from the early life of Geoff Stelling to the start up of the business. I walk away with a greater respect for Geoff. The mandolins are well represented in this article. I would call this a must have for anyone interested in Stellings. There is a picture of the employees for 2005 and I see David Houchens standing there in Bib overalls. I do not recognize the others with the exception of Geoff.
    Last edited by Kowboy; Oct-29-2014 at 4:29pm.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

30. The following members say thank you to Kowboy for this post:

I wanted this post to be a good spot for those researching Stelling Mandolins. With that in mind I want to include that; NO Stelling Add was placed in the 2007 issues of Bluegrass Unlimited Magazine. I have personally looked through the complete year.

Lance
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

32. The following members say thank you to Kowboy for this post:

Thanks for checking, Kenny! I appreciate that!

Lance