Thread: Suggestions for a clip-on pickup

Default Suggestions for a clip-on pickup

Hello, all
    I've been really busy in life, going to college and such now. I've been thinking about getting a pickup for my Eastman MD305. There have been several times when I was playing *for* people and having an amplifier would have been great. I have an acoustic amplifier and I am looking for something that could just clip on to my mandolin and would be easily removible. I would rather not have the pickups that stick on using puddy.
    I am just looking to keep my tone as similar to the acoustic tone as possible. I was looking at the K and K pickup on the mandolin store (the non-internal one) but am not too sure how that clips on. Any suggestions are welcome, thank you.

Default Re: Suggestions for a clip-on pickup

This is probably not what you're looking for but I have a small clip on microphone, an ATM350. I plug that into a Joe Meek ThreeQ preamp and then into an amp or PA system (my system is a Bose). The sound is hands down the most natural I've ever run across. You can get good volume out of it but not ridiculous amounts. It works great with a band that is sensitive to everyone's levels.

This setup also sounds amazing on steel string and nylon string guitars...

If your acoustic amp has an XLR mic input with 48V phantom power you can use a 'condensor' clip on mic. I am very happy with the DPA 4099V. (But I use it via the JoeMeek ThreeQ into the PA like PVia, as I have no acoustic amp, and I use the ThreeQ's insert for a volume pedal.)

If your acoustic amp has an XLR mic input without phantom power, you ca go with a Schertler DynM, which basically is a removeable surface mountable dynamic mic. People here on the Forum report that it sounds pretty good.

Without XLR mic input on the acoustic amp you can still use a preamp before the acoustic amp for both options. Personally I prefer to keep things as simple as possible with the minimum number of devices in the chain, though.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

The clip on Mic is a good suggestion. I do wonder what was your thought process is /was in negating the permanent installation of a K&K internal pickup. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Check out Bartlett microphones. They have a variety of clip-on mics for different instruments. I just got the Guitar B which I can use for guitar and my oval hole mandolin. They also have one for f-hole mandolins. The sound is very good; I run it through a Fishman Loudbox. No problems with feedback.

If you want something external, easy to install and remove, good sounding, and cost effective the putty-mounted K&K/JJB transducer pickups are among your best options.
    Steve

I'm not looking for a puddy-mounted option. I have a pickup that I used on my other mandolin and it left a really nasty residue on the instrument. I would rather just have a clip-on that is easily removable and doesn't leave a residue.
    I am not sure what model of amplifier that I have, I just know that the brand is "acoustic" it cost me 100 dollars at Guitar Center and I haven't used it in ages. I don't know what imputs or outputs it has. It has a volume knob, low-mid-high controls and optional chorus effect. It has a main larger imput thing next to the volume control. It's a pretty small sized one and has a carrying handle on the back of it.
    I don't know of anybody who works on mandolins. I would rather have something that I could just clip on and play with instead of having to plug something *into* my mandolin.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look around Generally where do most of these clip-on pickups go? on the bridge or in the soundholes?

I have an Easman MD305 and am thinking about getting an internal K&K. I dont see the downside at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlindBard View Post
    I'm not looking for a puddy-mounted option. I have a pickup that I used on my other mandolin and it left a really nasty residue on the instrument. I would rather just have a clip-on that is easily removable and doesn't leave a residue.
    I am not sure what model of amplifier that I have, I just know that the brand is "acoustic" it cost me 100 dollars at Guitar Center and I haven't used it in ages. I don't know what imputs or outputs it has. It has a volume knob, low-mid-high controls and optional chorus effect. It has a main larger imput thing next to the volume control. It's a pretty small sized one and has a carrying handle on the back of it.
    I don't know of anybody who works on mandolins. I would rather have something that I could just clip on and play with instead of having to plug something *into* my mandolin.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look around Generally where do most of these clip-on pickups go? on the bridge or in the soundholes?
    Putty.

Name:  puddy-high-five.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  9.5 KB

12. The following members say thank you to haggardphunk for this post:

Sorry, Putty :D

I have a sticky pickup (I think it is a peso pickup) but I don't want that sticky stuff on my Md305. Hense my looking for a clip-on pickup.
    The peso pickup that I have has a plug that is like a normal amplifier plug, about 2 inches or so in length and a little thinner than a pencil. it goes in to the big hole next to the volume control. Do any of these pickups mentioned have a cable like that? I'm just looking for something I can plug in and get as natural of a sound as possible.

...(I think it is a peso pickup) but I don't want that sticky stuff on my Md305. Hense my looking for a clip-on pickup.
    Think you mean piezo.

The piezo pickup that I have has a plug that is like a normal amplifier plug, about 2 inches or so in length and a little thinner than a pencil. it goes in to the big hole next to the volume control. Do any of these pickups mentioned have a cable like that? I'm just looking for something I can plug in and get as natural of a sound as possible.
    What you're talking about is the standard quarter-inch jack, which I think is a feature of almost any pickup you'll consider...

But not of what I would suggest as an option, a clip on lavalier microphone like this one, 33 bucks at Radio Shack. It has a 1/8-inch male mini-plug on its cord, so you'll need to get an adapter, mini-plug to quarter-inch.

I've used one of these in certain situations where I needed to play an acoustic instrument into an amp. Not the most sophisticated solution, but it does sound "acoustic" ('cause it is), and you just have to find a place to clip it to the instrument where you're not hitting it with your picking hand (pickguard, sound-hole, even tailpiece).

Not sure about impedance matches and whether the mic's output might be significantly higher than the usual line level inputs for your amp, but in my case I got everything to work pretty well. Just another suggestion.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have a sticky pickup (I think it is a peso pickup) but I don't want that sticky stuff on my Md305. Hense my looking for a clip-on pickup.
    The peso pickup that I have has a plug that is like a normal amplifier plug, about 2 inches or so in length and a little thinner than a pencil. it goes in to the big hole next to the volume control. Do any of these pickups mentioned have a cable like that? I'm just looking for something I can plug in and get as natural of a sound as possible.
    I think you mean hence.

Or can anybody suggest some sticky stuff that won't leave a residue on the finish of my mandolin?