Thread: Eastman 315 owners - cases?

Default Eastman 315 owners - cases?

Hey,

I have read lots of threads about different cases, and I think there are a few I have in mind that are in my price range (not much). I have the Eastman gig bag that came with it, which is an upgrade from the bag my previous rental came with. however, when I'm traveling to and from work on the NYC subways with my instrument, I want something more protective...

So, that leads me to my question, there are a number of cases in my price range (sub 150 id say, better if its sub 100 because I am thinking of building my own in the future), and I am wondering what people have found to be the best fit for the 315?

thanks!

Default Re: Eastman 315 owners - cases?

Travelite

3. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Thanks Alan. Is the Travelite water-resistant at all? or have you had any issues with getting caught in the rain? Being in the city, I dont use my car at all...so protecting against the rain is a big consideration for me as well. There seem to be many people that love the travelite though, so its a contender.

I was also looking at Gator cases, as they seem a little bit smaller in overall size, and plastic as opposed to fabric. any experience with these?

Does anyone have the Superior Fiberglass Case? does the 315 fit well in that?
    Eastman MD315

+1 for the Travelite. It holds my 315 very snug and would probably offer protection against a light rain for a short period of time. I don't think I'd want to leave it out in a real down pour. I bought mine from Amazon.com for around $85.00. I don't rely on the hygrometer that is in the case as mine is not very accurate. Instead, I use a Caliber IV cigar gyrometer that I bought on EBay for around $10. It's very accurate and can also be calibrated.

7. The following members say thank you to Mike Arakelian for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Cases are generally water resistant. Waterproof is of course another story. Walking a few blocks in a deluge won't damage your mandolin. Weight is a consideration if you plan on extended periods of carrying it. I will say all that often what makes a case heavy is all the extra stuff that you put in it. Especially those cases with zippered pockets. A Gator has room for tuner and strings and strap but not much more. TKL and other plywood type cases offer great protection but are quite heavy. Always look at the handle on a plywood case. A heavy case with a poorly constructed handle is a problem. Some cases are set up with "D" rings for backpack style straps which IMO is the best option for extended carrying. Check out a warehouse type site and peruse all the various types available. It is quite an education. Weights are usually posted in specs. Also you can always pack a garbage bag raincoat for your case if you are concerned. That won't add much weight. Luck ... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Cases are generally water resistant. Waterproof is of course another story. Walking a few blocks in a deluge won't damage your mandolin
    Thanks! I dont expect any case to be waterproof, but water resistance is definitely important. Thats why I was also looking at the superior white fiberglass case and the Gator. I dont have much to cary around, so i dont need a lot of room. Just a tuner and a strap and maybe extra strings and some picks. The weight factor is definitely another consideration, so I hear the travelite is a good pick in that aspect, i was just a little concerned about the fact that its fabric. So thanks for the insights!
    Eastman MD315

I use this Gator case, lightweight and the 315 fits in there snugly.

http://www.amazon.com/Gator-GL-MANDO...+mandolin+case
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Thanks bigskygirl, Do you know if they fit in the ABS plastic version as well? Im guessing so, but i cant find specs for their dimensions on the gator website. I like the fact that the one you linked to has a pouch on the outside for more storage (not that i think i need it but its nice to have).
    Eastman MD315

Not sure about the other case. The pocket in front is handy and there's a decent size accessory box inside. I'll grab it and take a few pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	124839Click image for larger version. 

Views:	183 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	124838
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Oct-12-2014 at 4:42pm. Reason: Add pictures

13. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

cool, thanks. I just found the dimensions on their website and both cases have the same internal dimensions, so either one should work if your fits well.
    Eastman MD315

Ian - The Travelite cases are terrific.They are completely waterproof,lightweight & inexpensive.Here are the major inside dimensions :-

Name:	Travelite 1 (Large)..JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	124904 Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Man...Im really at a quandary. I really like the fact that the gator has the external pocket (i probably dont NEED it right now, but incase i want to care more items without a backpack or something, that would be nice to have), but the travelite gets sooo many good reviews. And to add to the mess...they are both the same price on amazon. ugh. I went to a Sam Ash store near where i work yesterday and they had the ABS style gator...and although Im sure it would work fine, it didnt seem quite as well built as i'd hoped...so i took that one out of consideration, but the travelite and the similar one Bigskygirl wrote about above seem so similar that im not sure which to go with. does anyone have any thoughts that can tip the scale either direction?
    Eastman MD315

Here's a few pics for reference, they look too big but I could fit four of those Steve Kaufman books in the large pocket, it was a tight fit with four three fit great. The case is not waterproof but it would be fine commuting back and forth in a rainstorm for short periods of time. It's light and easy to get in and out of which for me is a big plus as for some reason I am very dysfunctional when it comes to being organized and getting set up for a jam quickly....ha

Views:	155 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	124932Click image for larger version. 

Views:	131 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	124933Click image for larger version. 

Views:	180 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	124934
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Oct-14-2014 at 10:50am. Reason: Add info

Thanks BigskyGirl, I think you tipped me over the edge with the storage aspect. thanks for all the pictures! I just placed the order and I should see it saturday!
    Eastman MD315