2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Blog Entries

Default Re: 1984 Gibson F5

It is really, really easy to tell the 70's era monstrosities from the reintroduced F-5L, and an '84 would look utterly, completely different from the photo received by DataNick. Some early F5-L photos here, from when the change from "bad" to "good" began.

Plain dots on the fingerboard vs. the fancy pattern are the single most obvious indicator.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001217.shtml
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Well guys we could put this one to bed fairly easily! If one of the UK guys participating on this thread would call the Leeds Hobgoblin store and ask them about any Gibson F5 mandolins in stock, we'd get a definitive answer. If they said only one, obviously it would be the 70s F5 in the picture. If two, then there would seem to be an 84 F5L out there, and a pic could be requested.

Any takers gents?
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Hi all,

I happened to be in the Leeds Hobgoblin store on Saturday and I actually played this particular Gibson mandolin. I have to be honest and say that I was VERY underwhelmed. The set-up was OK, condition is not bad (bits of checking here and there), but it just sounded.... boring. No balls, no volume, no punch. Just a very so-so tone, pretty tinny. My wife, who stood in front of it while I played, said "your Eastman sounds better". And I totally agreed with her - my lowly Eastman 505 would have blown this thing out of the water for sweetness of tone, clarity, punch, etc.

I wish I'd seen this thread before I'd visited the store, but I'm pretty certain that it's exactly the same one that Nick posted in his photo. It certainly had the same fancy fingerboard and headstock inlays.

If I had a spare £3000 I'd rather buy a nice Weber A style Gallatin from Tamco and still have well over a grand left!

Obvioulsy, the one thing I don't know is how much better it would sound with a better set-up and fresh strings. Having said that, the strings weren't dead and the action was OK.

6. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Thanks Johnny!

Dave, it sounds like it indeed is a 70s era Gibson F5; of which I'd steer clear of!

They're just not worth it! I don't know what the shipping/import challenges are, but Gryphon in Northern California has a 2004 F5G that is just sweet, for $2900 USD http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/44322/index.php

Good luck to ya Brotha!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    No balls, no volume, no punch. Just a very so-so tone, pretty tinny. My wife, who stood in front of it while I played, said "your Eastman sounds better".
    You just described a 70's F-5 perfectly.... and yes, your Eastman is better - by a mile. A KM-150 is better, loads better.

£3,000 ($4,840 US!) is completely off-the-wall for one of these. Even half that and they would still be over-priced, and you could still (easily) by a whole bunch of far superior instruments and be left with change.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

9. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

From all the info.on here & especially Johnny's remarks via. a 'hands on' experience,Hobgoblin might have that one on their hands for a while. I'd bet a £ ($) to a penny that the Gibson name encouraged them to take it on board in the first place. It's not encouraging to think that some poor mando.player might be saddled with that one,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hobgoblin might have that one on their hands for a while.
    Ivan
    I tend to disagree, Ivan. North of Brighton, F model Gibson mandolins are in such short supply that I suspect you could almost sell anything, just because of the name on the headstock.

Blog Entries

You can only hope someone dropping £3K on a mandolin does a bit of research first....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Your 3000 e's could buy a much better sounding mandolin.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I understand your point Ray,but i'd hope that anybody wanting to pay £3K for a mandolin would be a serious enough player to know a dud when they hear one. For example,would you or i buy it ?. However,for some folk, the name 'Gibson' overides common sense. I've heard more than my fair share of poor sounding Gibson banjos in the 50 years i've been playing. Maybe due to a poor set up on some,but with others.......................!,
    Re.'F' model mandolins - Forsyth Bros.in Manchester currently have a good selection in stock,including 2 very nice Breedlove models,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.