Thread: Meyers, Thile in Troy NY

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Meyers, Thile in Troy NY

I really can't add much to this review other than to say that Chris Thile said that he and Edgar Meyer felt like "kids in a candy store" playing in the acoustically superb Troy Savings Bank Music hall.
    I took our 30something daughter to the concert when my wife backed out due to back pain (the Music Hall seats are notoriously uncomfortable, alas, and the Hall's directors are loath to replace them for fear of upsetting the acoustics). She had never heard of either performer, and was totally blown away.
    Don't miss this show if it comes your way.

http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts...-101114/35219/
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: Meyers, Thile in Troy NY

I saw them last Monday in Gainesville FL. Ridiculously Good.

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

I felt like a kid in a candy store Wednesday night when they played in Durham, NC! Not only was the performance as incredible as I expected it would be, I walked out with a T-shirt, their new CD and a vinyl copy of Thile's Bach album! I was also lucky enough to sit next to two complete mandolin fanatics and made new friends. Chris and Edgar are such a joy to watch/listen to perform. I REALLY hope they release a Bach album together as well. The sonatas and partitas solo recordings are excellent but having Edgar effortlessly floating those bass notes underneath the mandolin is hard to beat. Outstanding. I'm also really fond of the new material and find it a little more "accessible" than the first.

Tabla, were you the one who shouted out "Pizza Delivery"?

In addition to the superb musicianship, the duo has a good sense of showmanship. Anyone who's purchased the new album, "Bass & Mandolin," notices that one tune features neither instrument. In Durham (and I expect this is a standard part of the act), Thile mentioned the new album title just before picking up a guitar to accompany Meyer's piano. Thile feigned ignorance when the crowd started to chuckle, then registered recognition of the joke.

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Haha! No, I yelled "A Delicious Bass" as in the fish, several times but was masked by both the pizza guy and one of the others. I have a strange feeling Thile is a fan of Napolean Dynamite and would have appreciated that and had to explain it to Edgar later on. Much like the Double Rainbow! What a show.

It was Snuffleupagus when Scott and I saw them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_7887.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	124798

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Take a look at Thile's jacket in Mike's picture. At one point he said "I just noticed that the writing on my pick is the same color as my jacket"-- a Blue Chip.
    As far as technique goes, I was able to see his closed right hand grip easily. From time to time his hand was more loosely closed, with never a pinkie plant.
    When he was flatpicking the guitar however, he did sometimes plant his pinkie and even his fourth finger. He also did some finger picking within the same song(he called them all songs, not tunes, for what that's worth).
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Saw them in Los Angeles about the second night or so of the tour. Totally amazing, brilliant in every way..."You can't copyright song titles" was the audience-named title that night. Chris said it wasn't surprising seeing that they were in LA. ;-))

Also, one of the things I noticed from my third row center seat was that the mandolin was pretty mellow sounding. It was beautiful, don't get me wrong, I loved it but it was a very different sound than I'm used to hearing from a Blue Chip pick. But I'll post another thread about that...