Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I wonder how this scam works?

Blog Entries

Default Re: I wonder how this scam works?

http://www.scamorama.com/
    https://thescambaiter.com/forum/

Fun reading, much of it NSFW. I've trolled some 419 scammers for months before.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

I had this scam pulled on me for a car I was selling. Researched it a little, as it sounded fishy, and from what I heard it goes as you said. Additionally
    1. Agent picks up car
    2. Overpayment and request to send balance via wire
    Then there's this:
    3. Buyer then claims something wrong with car and demands refund.
    4. PayPal refunds money (including overpay). You have to prove there's nothing wrong. (This policy may have changed recently, but i don't think so. Paypal wants to protect the buyer over the seller)
    5. Car is gone as well as proof nothing's wrong with it.
    6. Buyer Paypal acct is de-activated.

You're out both the car and the total overpayment amount, plus your sent check. High price for an education in the Street....

Wow Guys! I just received notification that I have 25.3 million dollars in a Nigerian bank deposited there by a relative of mine that died in the Tsunami! I really have no use for that much money. Ethan Coen and Francis McDormand bought the house over across the field(which is true) and I am now quite wealthy because of my real estate holdings(We hope). I have decided to buy every member of the Mandolin Cafe the mandolin of their choice (subject to availability). Please send me your request for your mandolin along with $50 to help pay for the recovery costs for my $25,300,000 and also to help pay for a secretary to process your request.

4. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Got a new one today-----A phone message, someone posing as an IRS agent telling me that there is an arrest warrant out for me and that I need to immediately get in touch with them. I then went on line and this is a new scam kicking around it seems. So,if YOU get one of these you can bypass the heart attack'cause it's bull! I thought about calling them back posing as an FBI agent!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Please send me your request for your mandolin along with $50 to help pay for the recovery costs for my $25,300,000 and also to help pay for a secretary to process your request.
    Thank you for your kind, generous offer. Please send me your PayPal account number and password.

And today's Laughably Lame Scam Attempt:

Dear Email Owner.....Congrats! Your Facebook Profile has WON £1,000,000.00 in Facebook Lottery Promotion for the month held in SouthAfrica. Your WINNING CODE:FACE8QW8HUK For claim Email us your name, Country & Occupation to facebook-dept@mail.com Congratulations !!!

Luis Jose
    (Product Marketing)
    Facebook © 2014

This was sent to my personal email, NOT the one linked to my facebook account. The sender's email is not the same as the one in the message body, and is an account in Germany, not South Africa. And I doubt the supposed sender is not South African nor Hispanic, as the name indicates.
    Last edited by journeybear; Nov-21-2014 at 5:31pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I wonder how this scam works

And the hits keep coming. This is a very different angle. I'll bet that if you click on the link to download a purchase order you will instead download a virus or install a worm or give them access to your info, something like that. Then again, I suppose a guy in France could be representing a company in China ...

Shanghai Heli Forklift Truck Co., Ltd.

Mr David Larbi (mr.david.larbi@voila.fr) Add to contacts Attachment 12/08/14
    mr.david.larbi@voila.fr
    From: Mr David Larbi (mr.david.larbi@voila.fr) Your junk email filter is set to exclusive.
    Sent: Mon 12/08/14 1:03 PM
    To:
    Attachments: 1 attachment | Download all as zip (2.4 KB)
    Purchase Order H list.html (2.4 KB)

Attention please,
    From Shanghai Heli Forklift Truck Co., Ltd. we welcome with respect and to introduce here our Company Capability introduction.
    Business Type: Trading Company
    Main Products: forklift, forklift accessories, forklift battery trucks, electronic stalker, forklift service
    Year Established: =2001, Year start Importing: =2009
    Number of Employees: =301 - 500 People, Total Revenue: =Below US$2 Million
    Main Markets: North America, South America, Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, Africa

Here list of our newly items Quotation 2015 for Supplies, Please find attached list and kindly provide us your best quote for the items listed, is very urgent to our company right now. -Your B Prices and FOB Port of loading.
    Click Purchase Order which would automatically redirect you to our PO page where you will see the specific brand, drawing and description of the product we want your company to supply to us. We expect to hear from you shortly to enable us offset with the purchase arrangement / agreement once the price is competitive and we get your assurance on the quality of the products.
    Larbi
    -Publishing secretary Shanghai Heli Forklift Truck Co., Ltd.
    Shanghai Heli Forklift Truck Co., Ltd. China (Mainland)
    http://www.heli.com.cn/
    Tel:0086 021-55885858
    Fax:0086 021-65669218
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!