Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Views on Apc bouzouki

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Default Re: Views on Apc bouzouki

Tangential to the thread, bouzouki lore...

Colin Lindsay wrote: 'I like their legend that an Irishman once went to Portugal, liked the Portuguese bouzouki, and brought one home…
    "According to historic documents, it's said that one Irish musician went to Portugal and came across the now extinct Porto-style portuguese guitar. After returning to Ireland, he designed a guitar that mixed the porto-style body with the original greek Bouzouki's neck. Thus making the Irish Bouzouki, an instrument that would be used in Irish folk music”
    I wonder if this guy ever met Johnny Moynihan... they could argue over who was first…. '

When I first started playing bouzouki out here in the middle of America people would ask me what, where, how, and all about my instrument, so I went looking for the origin story. The one I tell now is similar to this one, a distillation of what I heard and read from many sources. I tell it with 'fill in the blank' for the names of the player and the luthier because I heard and read so many different folks attributed to being that Player and that Luthier.

The big difference was that the bouzouki of the eastern Mediterranean was the original in the stories I found, not the Portuguese.
    It's as likely one as another, tho ... since the name "bouzouki" stuck it might more strongly refer to the eastern types.

Fun stuff, thanks!
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Maybe the om is the solution

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Colin;first time I've heard that legend! where did you find that?
    Straight from their very own website, Kieran!! Made me chuckle quite a bit…
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

i was in Oporto two years ago- and it's wonderfull, even though my back injnury made my legs not work very well.

but i saw several porto guitars , newly made, i wrote down the makers number but lost it, but somewhere i have a poster from the group he played in, and their cd, if anyone wants a porto guitarra. as an obsessed collector, i also bought one made by texierra from between the wars. he was a significant maker of the transitional instruments, between the early small bodied guitarras and the later giant sized bodies i looked up the family in porto, and his grandson is a brain surgeon now!!

my experience was that the instruments made by Antonio carvalho were the best locally made mandolas and bouzoukia. his guitarras are also good. i like them better than folk reps instruments. i think he makes in braga.

i played a couple of his mandolas in porto(they call it porto locally not Oporto). they were 500 euros, and i liked them. i didn't buy because i am either into high end new stuff or funky antique instruments. that's just me.

but they were rosewood back and sides and spruce top with basic ornaments.

the porto player and luthier who played in the band we heard said the porto instruments were inspired by the English guitars that came to portugual with wellington's army during the Napoleonic wars. he said the older Portuguese instruments had a different and more complex internal construction and sounded more like the Spanish lauds. with the English guitars they went for higher tension strings and a bigger body with a lot more drive and response from the top.

his instrument, was a medium sized body much like the twenties/thirties texierra i have.

i would look for a antonnio carvalho instrument if you are in portugual, and there is an on line seller who carries his stuff, melomedia i think. they have bouzoukia, mandolas and mandolins. his relative manuel carvahlo is also a maker but he doing mass produced lower end instruments. they are in a lot of music stores in lisboa. they are unimpressive but cheap. not terrible starter instruments but not in the same category as antonnios instruments.

i was hoping to find an antique guatarra in portugual but they are rare and expensive. you have a better chance finding them on ebay or local kijiji or craigslist. i have a vierra, a texierra and a antonnio carvahlo guitarra. ok i am obsessed.

5. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

Thanka nick. Look forward to the report!

Hi Gary,

I will be in Coimbra in two week's time so it is not long to go. When I have some spare time in the evening at the conference, I will post some reviews back for the Cafe.
    Nic Gellie

The Buch is sold so im going for a b308. I already hav a greek one on order. Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    The Buch is sold so im going for a b308. I already hav a greek one on order. Here we go!
    That is a VERY pretty instrument - cool to hear you're going to add a Greek instrument too! Don't forget pics eh?
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Oh yes mike should have it this week. Sellingvthe Buchanan enables me to buy the greek one and the Apc so im a happy chappy.!

Ooh interesting update. Thomann are selling their 'own' brand of Portuguese zouks and oms and guess who builds them....

ok so after all my web searching i found the B308 for sale on amzon germany for €360. i know a local luthier who will do a good set up for €30 so still cheaper than buying from Portugal. i must have got lucky there though

<violates forum posting guidelines>

From the posting guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of selling items to others or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-10-2014 at 12:55pm.

Blog Entries

Garry,

You're just wheeling and dealing this past two months!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    Garry,

You're just wheeling and dealing this past two months!

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of selling items to others or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-10-2014 at 12:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post

I feel your pain. I expect to run into similar issues when it comes time to buy my luthier bouzouki. I expect I'll post the TC in the Classifieds here first, then eBay if nobody bites. Good luck man!
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-10-2014 at 12:55pm.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-10-2014 at 12:55pm. Reason: Refrain from using the forum as a point of selling items to others or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you a