Thread: The rare and mysterious 1936 Gibson-made Cromwell GM-5 mandolin

Default The rare and mysterious 1936 Gibson-made Cromwell GM-5 mandolin

I've never seen one of these until today. Although it has no model number anywhere on it, this has to be a 1936 Cromwell GM-5. It is fancier than the GM-4, but nothing like the GM-6 lump scroll model that's been posted here before. Rare and bizarre all at the same time. As far as I know, it is all original in including the very unusual peghead design and strange circular top finish. According to Gibson's shipping ledgers, they only made 11 of these in 1936 and were quickly discontinued soon after. Most likely the GM-5 and GM-6 models simply didn't sell and Gibson only made one batch each. The same is true of the Cromwell electrics introduced in 1937, including the EGM electric mandolin.

Anyone care to give an opinion on the value of this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cromwell GM-5 mando.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	124441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cromwell GM-5 mando PH.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	124442
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pfox14 For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: The rare and mysterious 1936 Gibson-made Cromwell GM-5 mandol

Muy cool, Paul. Thanks for posting this. Looks to be in vg condition. Did you see this in person? Did you play it?

I don't recall. Were these pressed tops or carved tops? A lot of work went into the detailing and finishing these. A curious direction for the company.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I think they used the same bowl to create that sunburst that Moe Howard's barber used to give him a haircut.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think they used the same bowl to create that sunburst that Moe Howard's barber used to give him a haircut.
    I was wondering about that.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have not seen it in person or played it. I know the GM-2 & GM-4 were pressed top, but I believe the GM-5 & GM-6 were carved, but don't hold me to it.

LMAO Jim.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

According to Gibson's shipping ledgers, they only made 11 of these in 1936 and were quickly discontinued soon after.
    Hmmm...rarer than a Loar....should go for double the price,no?
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I told the owner that to the right collector, it might fetch $1200-1300, but if you sold it on eBay, I'd guess it wouldn't sell for much more than $800. Rare doesn't always mean valuable.

Paul, I know you are the expert on these things (you wrote the book!) but how do you know that it is a GM-5 (compared to GM-4) and how do you know that that top finish and the headstock paint wasn't done by some insane owner years ago. I am just curious. Also, do you have additional photos?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    No...errrr...yes. No is correct, it won't be worth more than a Loar. perhaps it's worth more than The Loar though.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Oct-02-2014 at 3:10pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Actually, my initial reaction to it is very much tinted by my expectations from experience. If I had seen that mandolin cold, I am not sure I would think it unattractive, and if it sounded good...

Perhaps if someone had an aversion to the historical Cromwell it might not be a popular choice. I am not sure, for example, I would take it to an Irish session.

But that aside, as a mandolin, is there more than our informed prejudice to argue against it?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Paul, I know you are the expert on these things (you wrote the book!) but how do you know that it is a GM-5 (compared to GM-4) and how do you know that that top finish and the headstock paint wasn't done by some insane owner years ago. I am just curious. Also, do you have additional photos?
    Honestly, Jim I'm not 100% sure. I showed the pix to a friend who knows a lot about the budget brands, and he thinks it's a bastardized GM-4. I asked the owner to look inside the body. If it has FON 570-B (the only batch of GM-5s Gibson ever made) and has a carved top, than it's definitely a GM-5. If not, than I am dead wrong and it was only wishful thinking. Most likely a GM-5 would have white button tuners, a bone nut, and bound fingerboard, but we have absolutely no point of reference, so it's just guess work.

I think this is really cool, and historically interesting, by way of the Gibson budget brands, but, I don't feel it has much intrinsic value. $200.00 to $300.00 ?? Maybe a bit more.
    My Cromwell archtop guitar has a more traditional sunburst... I wonder about this one. Is it original, or some creative folk art?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    I think this is really cool, and historically interesting, by way of the Gibson budget brands, but, I don't feel it has much intrinsic value. $200.00 to $300.00 ?? Maybe a bit more.
    My Cromwell archtop guitar has a more traditional sunburst... I wonder about this one. Is it original, or some creative folk art?

Well, if it is a carved top such as Paul posits, then the pricing should reflect that. KM11s have been going for ~$500+ so I think the $2-3C estimate is possibly a bit out of date. I'd pay $3C for this in a NY minute. (But Jim would have to tell me just how long that was....)

The black dipped headstock end seems to predate the nameplate application (though it is hard to see.) The black appears to match the same on the Moe Howard 'burst--though it does look a little funny at 12 o'clock. (Mike, you owe me keyboard cleaning to remove the coffee gaffaw spray....)

Until Paul gets more info to us, I'm hedging with Ockham's Razor on this. Or Hunter Thompson's ("When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.") If you are going to produce a level 5 or 6 in your off-brand and go with a carved top and inlaid fb and headstock then why not Go Moe on the top?

I totally dig these Gibson second lines. But half the clan is from LA. Second lines come naturally.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Was the headstock name done with a label-maker? If so it wans't a very good one as the C and the R aren't in alignment.

I'll trade you a cigar for it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It's an odd duck, for sure, but it's got some charm. Somehow the color scheme and graphic design reminds me of bowling shoes.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

18. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

After much deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that this mandolin is NOT a Cromwell GM-5. It is a GM-4 that was ruined by a horrible refinish and amateurish attempt at a replacement logo. Sorry. My enthusiasm got the better of me. I should have realized right away that Gibson would never have put out an instrument that looks like this. Oh, well.

I think that is a much more accurate assessment. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Perhaps if someone had an aversion to the historical Cromwell it might not be a popular choice. I am not sure, for example, I would take it to an Irish session.
    Totally missed it on the first read through--good one, JeffD! A little 1649 era humor! Actually, Morrissey slammed Cromwell in a fairly recent song/video "Irish Heart, English Blood" (last 10 years or so.....)