Thread: MXR Micro Amp as preamp?

Default MXR Micro Amp as preamp?

So I've been doing research on piezo pickups and preamps. I have decided to go with a JJB PPS-200 and after reading that is has a 1Mohm output that got me thinking about using a MXR Micro Amp pedal as a buffer.

I'm not into EQing as I like to leave that to the sound engineer, but like the idea of only having a volume knob.

With that being said the MXR MA is a volume boost pedal with a 1Mohm input. Would this pedal make a good piezo buffer?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Default Re: MXR Micro Amp as preamp?

this? http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/manuals/M133_man_WEB.pdf

input : electric guitars is probably what they considered, IDK if the S/N is Clean (own 0)

Baggs is 10Mohm http://www.lrbaggs.com/sites/default..._di_manual.pdf

the DI Output is to feed the House Board.

Balanced TRS/XLR leads are quieter. more so as they get longer..
    Last edited by mandroid; Sep-29-2014 at 4:53pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mandroid yeah that is the pedal I'm speaking of.

I'm not looking at a full preamp/DI box as most of them have EQ controls which I don't need or want.
    I already have a MXR Micro Amp pedal and was think if it would work than I don't have to buy anything else.
    Waterloo WL-M

That MXR Micro amp should work, but keep in mind that any tiny battery powered preamp like this is still putting an additional circuit inline that will affect tone.

If you have a larger budget for an interface to a PA system, I'd suggest the Radial PZ-DI Direct Box. This DI is active, using a 48v phantom powered from the PA mixer, and can be switched for input impedance of 10M/1M/220K-Ohms. That makes it very flexible as an instrument DI, and the middle 1 MegOhm setting is apparently what that JJB pickup wants to see. Radial DI's are pricey, but they're extremely well made and clean-sounding. If the budget doesn't permit something like this, then the MXR Micro Amp should work. Just thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    That MXR Micro amp should work, but keep in mind that any tiny battery powered preamp like this is still putting an additional circuit inline that will affect tone.

If you have a larger budget for an interface to a PA system, I'd suggest the Radial PZ-DI Direct Box. This DI is active, using a 48v phantom powered from the PA mixer, and can be switched for input impedance of 10M/1M/220K-Ohms. That makes it very flexible as an instrument DI, and the middle 1 MegOhm setting is apparently what that JJB pickup wants to see. Radial DI's are pricey, but they're extremely well made and clean-sounding. If the budget doesn't permit something like this, then the MXR Micro Amp should work. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Great info, and I'll look into that DI box if the MXR doesn't work.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blog Entries

Totally agree with Foldedpath.

A high quality active DI with a suitably high input impedance would be the way to go. The Radial boxes are excellent (I use the JDI - passive - and the J48 - active - myself frequently). These two are very good indeed matched with active transducers. With a passive transducer, though, there are several options. The PZ-DI is among the best of the bunch, but they also offer a much more cost-effective version, the Stagebug SB-4. It has a 5Meg vs 10Meg impedance - but that is perfectly adequate for most passive transducers and having had the PZ-DI and the SB-4 side by side and A-B'd them with several transducers, I failed to hear any consistent difference in performance. The PZ-DI has a few more bells and whistles in the form of switchable input impedance and filtering, but these are not 'essentials' by any means. The Stagebug is around $80 street vs over $200. It is also much lighter and more compact.

By coincidence, I uploaded a blog entry on this topic (Preamps and Di boxes) only yesterday.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...eamp-or-DI-box
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    The PZ-DI is among the best of the bunch, but they also offer a much more cost-effective version, the Stagebug SB-4. It has a 5Meg vs 10Meg impedance - but that is perfectly adequate for most passive transducers and having had the PZ-DI and the SB-4 side by side and A-B'd them with several transducers, I failed to hear any consistent difference in performance.
    I would normally agree 100% with that, but the OP is using a pickup where the web site makes a big point about not using a preamp with an input impedance of more than 1 MegOhm. Hence, the the PZ-DI with switchable impedance.

That seems weird to me, but hey... if they're making that big a deal about how it's "not like a Fishman piezo" that wants 10 MegOhm impedance, then who am I to say otherwise?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Not going to weigh in on the impedance issues - I'm in over my head and you all just got started - but I wonder why the OP is not keen on using EQ. I am fond of dialing in my sound so I can hand the sound guy a 1/4" cord and tell him to run it straight. I would never trust a sound guy with my signal, if I can help it. There is no guarantee he will know what he's doing, or if he's ever even worked with a mandolin before. Plus, if he tweaks something or other, you may be able to adjust your settings to compensate. I fell more comfortable going through my gear at home to get the settings where I like them. Fussing around with gear right before a show can be no fun and ruin your mood and peace of mind. Just sayin' ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Yeah... I've seen that. Another website that fails to provide any meaningful technical data. However, it appears that they are relying on the impedance mis-match, to restrict the frequency response to remove the low end. They say a higher input impedance may "may boost the bass response to an undesirable level". I would take slight issue with terminology used here. A high input impedance will not "boost" anything, but a less than optimal one will certainly cut it. Normally you are looking for a flat response, and these piezo elements will provide the flattest response into loads greater than 1M. In other words, they are deliberately going for a lower than optimal input impedance to act as a high pass filter..... a novel approach.....

Nothing wrong with the transducers as such. They seem to be the same ones you can buy in bulk from China.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

@Aleriastrings
    Agreeing here with all the above. The advice given was because it sounded like the OP had already decided on this pickup system, not that it was the best possible approach for amplification.

Everyone should know where I stand on that by now; clip-on mini condenser mics! It just doesn't work in all situations, or for all budgets.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer a good old SM57 anyday to transducers, but as you say, they have their uses..... I get what I'd call a "pretty acceptable" result from an AKG C411 into a Headway EDB2 with mandolin, and I have a couple of guitars with UST's, one (OM42) works pretty well into a Fishman Aura, and the other (Breedlove prototype dread with Baggs Element VTC) runs nicely into a Radial JDI. For venues with truly dire acoustics, they can be life safer...

It would be nice if some of these smaller companies who market 'alternate' transducers and instrument mic systems would actually include some useful technical data. They tend to go overboard on the sales hype, and treat the practical, technical stuff like a state secret. One of the things i like about Radial, Neumann, DPA, AKG, etc., is that their documentation is not only comprehensive but highly informative and educational. They tell you what you need to know, no messing around!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    @Aleriastrings
    Agreeing here with all the above. The advice given was because it sounded like the OP had already decided on this pickup system, not that it was the best possible approach for amplification.

Everyone should know where I stand on that by now; clip-on mini condenser mics! It just doesn't work in all situations, or for all budgets.
    I have tried many set-ups on my '93 Gibson F5 - what I'm using now I'm very happy with -- that's the Radial PZ Pre with an AudioTechnica ATM-35 clip on small condenser mic - mixed with a K&K twin mini -- the PZ Pre works great with either independently (my ATM-35 is powered with its AT8532 power module) in front of the PZ Pre or the K&K; however I can use the PZ Pre to blend both together. I have found it gives a very "Acoustic" sound while still being able to achieve more than satisfactory volume (gain before feedback) in any setting -- PZ Pre is very versatile -- hope this helps - BC
    Brian Court

Any how topic of Other.. functionally the Schertler Dyn pickup is a contact SM57, in that its a Dynamic Mechanism..

Never needed a Preamp plug in direct .. use a Mic Channel , if all I have handy is a TR Cable it will go in a 1/4"
    the installed one uses a end pin jack

removable an XLR Mic Plug (or adapter to 1/4" Matching transformer if you use a Tube Guitar amp ).

Piezos are simple cheap and sold in many forms and pretty weightless to install ,
    just have other characteristics you have to Cope with ..

YMMV
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You may want to look into the Red Eye.

Tim that looks like an ideal box for me! If this MXR doesn't work that's what I'll be getting.
    Waterloo WL-M

It sounds really good too.