Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thread for women

I often wonder how many other board members here are women. Do you all play mostly with other women or men? We have only a couple women player here in our community, but our number is increasing.

Hey, count me in! I play in the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra, which has only 4 female members out of 24 or 25....I also play string bass, which makes me a minority there, too....
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Just tonight, my friend nudged me and said, "but hey! #You're not a woman! #You're a girl!" #(Is that a chop?) #

Just a thought - in the UK a high proportion of bass players in bluegrass circles are women, which I think is because the more "competitive" men tend to play the flashy instruments eg banjo, mandolin guitar etc, leaving the bass for their partner to play...

The fiddle is probably the next most common instrument for women to play followed by the mandolin........

This is not intended to be a controversial/sexist post, it is just my observations, and I'm not making any comment on the abilities of either sex when it comes to playing any instrument...

Yes, I'm one

In my BMG orchestra, more than half the mandolinists are female, most of the guitarists are female and one of the accordian players is female. All the banjo players are male

The bluegrass circles I mix in tend to be dominated by men, but the kids tend to be a healthy dose of both genders so things will probably change in the next 5 to 10 years.

yep female-guess you can tell that by my name-don't post much anymore but I do lurk

Another here

I'm mostly playing alone these days Sometimes hubby will break out the guitar and join me. We moved in January and I don't really know of any jams nearby.

Also, with a new house that we've been doing work on and a baby on the way, when I can sqeeze an hour out in the evening to play I'm lucky. But I do have my Sweet Pea that I bring to work to play during lunch most days.
    Cheers,
    Sarah

Yo.

Play almost exclusively with women- my daughter, a college student and me make up our little trio. We find that egos don't get involved as much as when jamming with men, and everybody gets their opportunity to shine.

Count me in. I also play guitar but have not found any pickin partners in my area.

There's also a Karen Kay on the board but I'm not sure if she still plays, what with her stunt riding career and all! #

GVD
    GVD

Count me in.
    I play most frequently with one other woman--another multi-instrumentalist who lives near me...we both teach/learn stuff from each other, so we're a good match. I'd love to find a third for that combo, as we sometimes need one more "voice" to fill it out. There's another local fellow who sometimes plays with us...that's enjoyable too, especially cuz he's a really good player, knows a zillion tunes, and is not domineering, but he does dominate the sound a bit (usually plays fiddle) and it changes the dynamics.

I also sometimes play with a local "pickup" group that is about 50/50 m/f. That's fun too in its own way. But somewhat less so, only because the skill level is so varied.

I do have to say that I've played many instruments in many contexts over my lifetime, and I do enjoy playing/singing in ensembles with women best. While there are always exceptions, I agree that aimee's statement rings true, in general.

And just a thought...for those of you posting an interest in connecting with other women players in your area... why not say what area you are in??
    I'm in Philadelphia.

KE

Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

KE,
    Did you find your Eastman F/oval???? (Do you remember me?) I wish you two lived in the Raleigh, NC area. The way my wife/boss has me trained, I think I would fit right in with your duo..............
    Bob

Hi Ladies- count me in. There's more male than female players (all instruments)down here. I'm just happy to play with any of them. We females do seem to have a sweeter touch on the mandolin, although I do like that down-stroking Monroe stuff.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Ok, here's the next question- what kind of mandolin do you play ? If you have more than one- what's your favorite? For me, I have several & right now I prefer my Randy Wood 2 point.
    Teri LaMarco

Now, are any of you mando-ladies going to Savannah for the Mando-Madness this Friday night ? I'm trying to organize a pickin' on Friday or Saturday afternoon- could be both days at one of the parks- if you're interested lemme know & I'll post the info here.
    Teri LaMarco

Quote Originally Posted by (violmando @ Mar. 22 2005, 23:47)
    Hey, count me in! #I play in the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra, which has only 4 female members out of 24 or 25....I also play string bass, which makes me a minority there, too....
    A year ago I went to a BG fest in Ottawa, Il. I don't know how many groups played but all, I mean ALL the bass players were ladies. All the mando players were men. I didn't say gentlemen because ... You think anyone of them would help those ladies move their bass? Heck no! They were too busy 'luggin' their mandos. Shameful, just shameful. I'm sure their mamma's raised 'em better, but it apparently didn't stick. The ladies have my utmost respect and admiration.
    "If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music," Briscoe Darling

GVD
    LOL
    I still play, just wish I were better! The crash was just another hurdle I didn't quite clear! Look for me at Mandofest and at Don's deal!
    KK

I am female. I play alone, all by myself, since hamster died. Actually there is a lady in the Manitoba Oldtyme and Bluegrass Society that goes to my church and has asked me to join her little gospel-type band. (And since Prebyterians in Canada aren't really reknown for gospel music, this should be interesting. Hmmm...I can remember some old Sunday School hymns.) I have informed her that I have been only playing for a year, so wish me luck. Hey, my dreams of "jamming" just might come true!
    You are only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Hey, female builder here. I started building when my husband got a severe case of MAS, now I’m hooked. His sickness is spreading so I am currently building an H5 Mandola. I also work on guitars, refinish and restore old instruments so I guess that makes me a luthierett.
    Gail Hester

Geez, what a great response from all. You should she the look on my male friends' faces when I tell them I would like to do "Nine Pound Hammer" in C. Wish I had more women to play with.
    I am from Central PA and play an 80's model KM-1000 and a Custom Weber Yellowstone.

39-year-old female picker here, in Sugar Land, Texas. I've been to many a jam session where I was both the youngest participant and the only female. There are a couple of good weekly jams here that a fair amount of women attend. One is full of female dulcimer players.

I agree with the observation that a lot of women play bass in bluegrass bands.

Dale got banned!?!? I haven't been on the board enough since I got a 9-5 job several months back.

Thanks for the comment, Tommy K, but I wouldn't let men like that help me with my bass anyway--I'd just tell them to move outta the way!!!!!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

I'm in. I'm live in the NW Georgia area, and pick with a couple of other guys in town - once every so often. They want me to play fiddle, though, since one already plays mandolin, and the other plays guitar. But fiddle is good... since I really play violin and viola.. it's a nice change. I attended a "new years" jam back in January, and about 4 of the players were women. We're definitely outnumbered here.
    Sheryl --- Me

To: Whomever started this thread : What a great idea !!! all women mandolinists should know where the few other ones are so we can jam and exchange ideas....I am in W Pa and regularly travel Cleveland- Erie - the W Va line and east to Philly a lot. I played classical piano for 25 years (but lugging pianos to campfires is not possible..) Played folk Guitar for years since college, despite my father threatening to throw me out in the yard if he heard Dont Think Twice one more time..... Got sent to South America for 6 months, guitars are tough to transport in the hilands of Chile so so got a decent A style mando 2004 and have been having a great time with it . I play classical , (Bach and Chopin mostly) ethnic folk music (irish, italian a lot of dark russian) and a LOT of BLUE GRASS which I love to death because there are HUGE numbers of people who play blue grass and you can always find a jam . believe me -- (I w as in Sao Paulo Brazil last February and I found a Blue Grass Jam and was fortunate enough that they kindly allowed me to participate.. !!!!~ ) Have been to blue grass week at Augusta W VA -- going again this year, it is a BLAST , good mando lessons, HARMONY SINGING AND 7 nites of solid jams from morn til nite. Am trying to learn django reinhardt jazz and it is killing me .Any pickers in the W Pa - Cleveland -Erie area-- please e mail me, there are regular jams 4 nites a week fdrom Pgh to Erie , and irregular ones alternating Mondays and Wednesdays so you can always find a music PARTY !!! I am off to the Philly area end of month 4-25 to 4 -28- , then Boston -- hope to find some good picking and jams thereabouts ...( my handle SAILAWAY is because I 'sail -away' like Jimmy Buffett on an old boat on week ends with my mando ...) ' Enjoy every sand wich ' (Zevon) and remember: ' You need more than one person for harmony. ' ....(Meatloaf)

Just got back from a jam here in Kentucky -- 3 ladies (mando - me, banjo, fiddle), 8 guys (1 mando, 2 other banjos, 1 dobro, 4 guitar.) No bass, but usually that's a woman, sometimes a man. One night the ladies outnumbered the men, several ladies on guitar that night, and most of the men were home with the flu...

Paula