Thread: For You Fiddle Players...

Default For You Fiddle Players...

I'm buying a fiddle for my daughter. (I'll get one too to help learn)

I'm looking at Folkmusician.

Is there a entry level fiddle that is comparable to the likes of Kentucky 150-160 or an Eastman 305?

What is the KY 150 or Eastman 305 Equal in Fiddle-land?

Much Thanks...

(Looking at $250-$450)

Here's what I'm looking at:
    http://www.folkmusician.com/Scotti-F...uctinfo/FMF-3/

Typically I know...it's "Buy the most expensive one you can afford".
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Default Re: For You Fiddle Players...

knowing what I know now, I'd find the head of the college or high school orchestra, and ask where his/her kids rent. Even if you don't intend to rent, these folks are a good source for service, support, and reasonably priced units.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

i bought a scotti fiddle outfit from folk musician earlier this year and im very happy with it. This is my first fiddle and likely all ill need for awhile. I recommend it. It looks really nice actually for how cheap it is. Its in my profile pic

Spend your money on a good bow if you want to spend more. Ask Robert if he has an eastman bow for you. They are great for the price, especially the carbon fiber cadenza models
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

5. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Thanks LongBlackVeil. That's very helpful.

Sounds like I'll go your route.

How are finding the transition from Mando to Fiddle?
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

What age is your daughter? One of the advantages of starting a child on fiddle/violin is that the instruments are also sized for children, enabling proper ergonomics--which shouldn't be ignored. We often see used 1/8, 1/4, 1/2-size violins for sale on CL, etc.

She'll need a quarter size I'm guessing. She'll be 4 when she starts...Hoping she has the ears of her mom and not me...
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Oh I didn't realize she was so young. I don't know how accurate this is, but I've heard it's difficult to find good bows in fractional sizes. I think you might want to consider taking her to a shop and trying some bows out if possible.

As far as the transition from mandolin to fiddle. I have to say it's been easier than I thought it would be. Fingering the notes and intonation is the easy part. It's the bow that makes things difficult, however Ive only taken one lesson and I've got it down pretty decently.

I'm at a strange stage in my fiddling I guess, I'm already about as good as I expected/ wanted to be. I really just wanted to be able to be able to play the fiddle tunes that I already know, and I've had no problem with that for the most part. I still like playing the mandolin a lot more, but I pick up my fiddle about once a week or so because it IS fun. I guess I just don't have the desire to advance like I do with the mandolin

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

12. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

I recently purchased a violin outfit from Gliga violins for my daughter. They are made in Romania, and they have a store in California. It's a nice, all solid wood violin, and the violin you see on their website,is the violin you will purchase. It sounds very nice, and her teacher was very impressed with it. When I recieved it, I noticed minor issues with the uniformity of the purfling, and tiny blemishes in the coloring under the finish, which is nitro by my choice. I only found those because I was looking, and they really aren't noticeable. There are different levels of quality, and options for finish, etc., and I chose the basic starter student violin. I'm very pleased with the quality for the money.

14. The following members say thank you to Tommcgtx for this post:

I find violin makes highly perplexing, much more so than mandolins. The only names I know of are Cecilio, Mendini, and Cremona, and the local Sam Ash has tons of 'em in various sizes and colors. Probably as with mandolins you may be better served looking for a well-set up used instrument. As suggested above, a smaller scale instrument may be more ergonomical, if you can find one.

I found my 1/16 Suzuki at an antique mall for $20, bought a new bow off Amazon for $15 (after finding out a 1/8th bow was one inch too long for the case ... which is how I concluded that the violin is 1/16th, though it might be 1/10th for all I know.) It actually plays pretty decent and I can take it wherever I go. BTW, that's another thing: the fractional measurements are not accurate and apparently don't mean much of anything. Look at actual length in inches.

16. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    I've heard it's difficult to find good bows in fractional sizes.
    Bear in mind--at age 4, etc., a fine quality bow is usually unnecessary

18. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

It may not be important to have a really toneful bow for a 4 year old, but I do think it's nice to have a bow with a good weight distribution that's easy to control

20. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Are the bows that come with the Scotti fiddles fine for someone like me who's main focus is Mandolin? I just want to learn fiddle for fun and mostly to help my daughter learn- It sounds like the fiddles have a good reputation but people talk about the bows being a big deal? I'll probably get hers from a local shop to trade in as she grows...
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Scott Cao, Gilga
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

23. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Nickster60 named two reliable brands .... Scott Cao and Gliga..... Gliga can be seen on Ebay...... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...iolin&_sacat=0 and have several different levels of craftsmanship and prices

Scott Cao http://www.folkmusician.com/Scott-Ca...s/products/30/ get pricey fast Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Just to be clear, Scott cao is the builder of the scotti (the fiddle in the op)

For someone your daughters age I would rent. The rental will cover insurance and you can just exchange it for a larger one when she out grows whatever size she is playing. Some shops have "better" grade instruments available for rental at an increased price. Also they might apply some of the rental fees against the purchase of one when it is time to buy.
    Marc B.

I assume that at age 4 she is taking a Suzuki class? I would ask the teacher what he or she recommends. Both my daughters played when young but not that young -- in 4th grade. I like dealing with Shar and they have a rental program or a purchase program where they will upgrade to the next level or size. They deal a lot with students as well as more advanced players.

I would not buy anything on eBay unless you truly know what you are doing regarding violins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I would also think renting would be a good option to start, especially since she is so young. At that age our daughter wanted to do everything but usually for about a month. Then if she seems like she will stick with it you can buy something. I would personally look used since they will out grow them at that age. You could see if her teacher knows of anyone who might be upgrading. Possibly craigslist or Bluegrass/Old time fiddlers group. There does seem to be less 1/4 size violins that 1/2 or 3/4. I would also second the stay away from ebay as I have been down that road, had both good and bad experiences. Kind of like heading to Las Vegas.

The violins I have bought for my daughter have all been used. Eastman does make the VL80 and VL100 series that seem to be good as well as others mentioned above.

One thing related to quality and bow would be the sound. I read somewhere when we started that the kids are real sensitive to sound. If they get a violin that does not sound good to them then they are less likely to play and I do think there is some truth to that.

As an FYI my daughter takes fiddle lessons from a place called Ludiker Music. She put together really great books. They have tab on one side and notation on the other. They also come with a cd with all the songs being played. These might be a great resource as she gets going.

Good Luck

Oh dear

Start with a rental, especially with a young one. I started with a half size when I was 7 and rented until I was given a beautiful 4/4 when I was 12. As your young one grows so will the violin and the skill. A good source for violins is Shar-I have ordered from them for at least 30 years. Also, go to a local music store that local students visit-they will have good rental programs, most likely. Do not worry bout having the best violin, bow strings or rosin until the skill of the player really needs it to advance.

I always suggest renting until the youngster is into a full size instrument, unless there are several kids in the family who want to play. It is not unusual for a kid to grow out of any size quickly, then you have to look at trading/selling. Also it is not unusual for kids to play a few years, then give it up for a while. Teenagers will sometimes want to do other things and I have no idea why!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

31. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post: