Thread: Need to Choose a Morgan Monroe-Soon

Default Need to Choose a Morgan Monroe-Soon

Hey Now.
    I am in a pickle of sorts. I bought a used Mandolin for cheap to see if I could play or if I would like it at all and well . . . i love it. I spent $140 on a used Mitchell and I have been playing the hell out of it. I have 30 days from my purchase to return it to the store and I can get full amount I paid credited to another purchase. As of now, they only have some bad used mandolins BUT they can get new Morgan Monroe's.

So I think I would like to upgrade to something in the $4-500 range but the catch is that it likely has to be a Monroe. That said, would it be a smart move to grab a MMA-150? MAM-200? Any F-Styles in this price range I should be considering?

I am pretty new to the mando scene but the learning curve from guitar came quickly and I have been jamming a lot. This next purchase will likely be my mando for years to come until I want to spring for something real nice.

Default Re: Need to Choose a Morgan Monroe-Soon

I used to have a Morgan Monroe F-style Zouk and it was pretty awesome sounding. Morgan Monroes don't get the best press around here and both of these are said to have all "solid wood" with no mention of carving. I'm thinking there would be a "Kentucky" or "The Loar" that would be better for you A-style and possibly even F-style. On the MM website I don't see that any of the A's or F's are carved! Are MMs the only brand this dealer sells?

If you want something to last for some years I would make sure it is carved solid wood, and that you like the sound and feel of the instrument. Frankly - All solid, carved wood, good construction and great playability and sound, plus a good mandolin set-up (much more critical than guitar) are more important than the brand designation. If you can play and compare several different instruments that would be better... A potentially amazing mandolin with a bad set-up will sound awful (not just bad, awful!).
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

I read a lot of other threads and kind of knew that but was thinking I should capitalize on this $140 i have invested in this super beginner mando because I am likely going to keep shopping and be bummed that I didnt go for something a bit better when I had the chance. Something in the $600+ range is just not in the picture right now.

You might try a MM but I would definitely play it first if possible. like I said I really liked the Zouk, I strung it like an octave mandolin and played it for a long time, I only sold it to pay for a better mandolin. Personally I liked the looks and woods on the MAM-200 rather than the MMA-150. It is maple and spruce as opposed to mahogany. I like their tailpieces.

Also you could probably sell your current mandolin (hopefully for what you paid) and shop elsewhere or used, you might find a better instrument within your budget.

Least expensive Morgan Monroe I can find with a solid carved top is the MMS-2W, which retails, discounted, for somewhere north or south of $600. With your $140 allowance you might be able to afford it. "List price" is shown as $1.2K but I don't believe it for a minute.

While sympathizing with your wish to use your investment in the Mitchell toward your next mandolin, there are solid-wood, carved top A-model mandolins like the Kentucky KM-250 for less than $350. Which is what you'll need to add to your $140 trade-in allowance to get the Morgan Monroe -- or less. And you could probably sell the Mitchell to another beginner, though not for the entire $140.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Ok - I am somewheat off of the MM idea. Mitchell now on Craigslist and I can afford to let that sit for a minute. I am headed to the Pick'n Parlor (Arvada, CO) in a bit to get my hands on some stuff and see whats a good fit. They have an Eastman MD305 there and some MM's.

7. The following members say thank you to haggardphunk for this post:

Good plan! Good Luck!

If you're looking in the $400-$500 range, look no further than the J Bovier A5 Tradition at the Mando Shop.

http://www.themandoshop.com/pages-jb...T-SG-8714.html

Soooo much better than Morgan Monroe. It is one heck of a good mandolin for that money.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

And I now own an Eastman MD-305. Played a lot of mandolins and I actually liked the feel and sound of this one the best. Put my other one on craigslist and if it doesnt sell I will have a good mando to bring out camping and on raft trips.

Thanks for the help everybody!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haggardphunk For This Useful Post:

Congratulations! I haven't played one but I've heard recordings and testimonies that these are very nice mandolins! That should keep you going for a while!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haggardphunk View Post
    And I now own an Eastman MD-305.
    In the words of the Grail Knight,

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z