Thread: Tabledit Social Group or Forum

Default Tabledit Social Group or Forum

Hi all, I'm trying to determine if there is an interest in starting a social group or forum thread for users of Tabledit. I've gotten involved in tabbing out tunes, and often run into trouble deciphering the program. I know there are several tutorials out there, but they seem cumbersome and dated. Sometimes I just need a quick work around or way to do a task, and I'm sure others out there could chime in. Your Thoughts? (also posted this in the theory etc.forum. Thanks,
    Teri
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tabledit Social Group or Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Amandalyn View Post
    Hi all, I'm trying to determine if there is an interest in starting a social group or forum thread for users of Tabledit. I've gotten involved in tabbing out tunes, and often run into trouble deciphering the program. I know there are several tutorials out there, but they seem cumbersome and dated. Sometimes I just need a quick work around or way to do a task, and I'm sure others out there could chime in. Your Thoughts? (also posted this in the theory etc.forum. Thanks,
    Teri
    I like and use TablEdit a lot --not saying I'm an expert in it but I find it a useful tool for learning tunes. So I have an interest. BTW there is a Yahoo users group but there are a lot of folks on it and the discussions tend to get cumbersome?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I am very interested. I started out using it for mountain dulcimer work, but now that I spend most of my time in mandolin, I am very interested. Great program.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

I'd be interested in such a thing too.

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

I'm all for it. I use Tabledit almost daily.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

I'm in.

Ok, there seems to be some interest in starting this. So what should it be- a Social Group? What kind of topics? Anyone want to be the monitor besides me?
    For topics I would say:
    Tabledit questions/how to
    New files (work in progress, maybe needing some suggestions)
    Resources ( like links to Tabledit, Mandozine, etc.)
    All suggestions are welcome, Thanks,
    Teri
    Teri LaMarco

You could ask, but I doubt they will want to add another forum for this. So a social group setup would be the way to do it.

Unfortunately, the social group area seems to be where ideas/interests go to die. I guess it's because these group discussions are "out of sight, out of mind". But they never seem to go anywhere if they're not on the main forum page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    You could ask, but I doubt they will want to add another forum for this. So a social group setup would be the way to do it.

Unfortunately, the social group area seems to be where ideas/interests go to die. I guess it's because these group discussions are "out of sight, out of mind". But they never seem to go anywhere if they're not on the main forum page.
    I agree Tobin, a social group would be the way to go, and so far, there is not THAT much interest. So lets just wait and see what others think. So far I have found the Tabledit users forum on Yahoo to be helpful.
    Teri LaMarco

Feel free to use any material from the Mandozine TablEdit Help section. Much of it was done by Wendy Anthony, with contributions from others.

http://www.mandozine.com/music/help/

I'd be interested in such a thing too.
    Likewise, me too!

Hi all,

This seems like the right place to post this question. I have some songs that I have notated in Sibelius and that are not yet in the MC Tabledit database. I would like to contribute them to the site. I can export them as music xml files, and Tabledit is evidently able to import this format. I don't have Tabledit, though, and don't really feel like buying new software just for this purpose. Is there a way that I could get files to one of y'all for conversion? Maybe via a public Dropbox link?

Thanks
    Bruce D.

Quote Originally Posted by bd_nashville View Post
    Hi all,

This seems like the right place to post this question. I have some songs that I have notated in Sibelius and that are not yet in the MC Tabledit database. I would like to contribute them to the site. I can export them as music xml files, and Tabledit is evidently able to import this format. I don't have Tabledit, though, and don't really feel like buying new software just for this purpose. Is there a way that I could get files to one of y'all for conversion? Maybe via a public Dropbox link?

Thanks
    Bruce D.
    Hi Bruce,
    Did you want to submit them to Mandozine? If so, you could contact John Baxter who runs the site and see if he could convert them, as he has to approve of them anyway. I submitted several tunes a few weeks back and haven't seen them posted or heard from him. (?) So if you try that and it doesn't work, I have Tabledit and can convert them for you. BTW what tunes are they, I'm always interested in new transcriptions
    Teri
    Teri LaMarco

Thanks for the suggestion re: Mandozine and the offer if that doesn't pan out. I'll contact John and let you know either way. The tunes are:

500 Miles
    All Through the Night
    Amazing Grace
    Be Though my Vision
    Bury Me Beneath the Willow
    Come Thou Font of Every Blessing
    Deep River
    Dona Nobis Pacem
    Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring (different arrangement from what's in the MC database)
    Redwing
    Skye Boat Song (key of G, MC version is in D)
    Wayfaring Stranger (different arrangement from what's in the MC database)

Thanks again,
    Bruce

Bruce, keep me posted. Would be interested in seeing your arrangements.
    Teri
    Teri LaMarco

Teri,
    I think Bruce is referring to the M.Cafe collection of Tabledit tunes, which has gotten a lot bigger since the last time you(or I) were there. It's a different set of tunes(with overlap) than on Mandozine, and presumably doesn't require JB's oversight. Many of Bruce's offerings are in the Mandozine collection.

benny

Mandozine.com has posted 3 tunes I put into Tabledit:
    Tallahassee
    Locktender's Reel
    Tombigbee Waltz

Enjoy!
    Teri LaMarco

18. The following members say thank you to Amandalyn for this post:

Cool, thanks for getting them posted! I kinda like that Locktender's Reel.

I'm attaching a couple I've been working on. Neither are perfect, probably, but what the heck.

Cloud Forest - as performed by the Barn Owl Band on their Live album. I've arranged it for a mandolin and mandola.

Carolan's Concerto (or O'Carolan's Concerto) - there are other versions out there, but I added a second mandolin for the harmony part, which sweetens it up a bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool, thanks for getting them posted! I kinda like that Locktender's Reel.

I'm attaching a couple I've been working on. Neither are perfect, probably, but what the heck.

Cloud Forest - as performed by the Barn Owl Band on their Live album. I've arranged it for a mandolin and mandola.

Carolan's Concerto (or O'Carolan's Concerto) - there are other versions out there, but I added a second mandolin for the harmony part, which sweetens it up a bit.
    The Locktender's Reel by Eric Skye caught my ear and I thought it would be good on mandolin. Did you see his video of him playing it on guitar? He is actually working on an album of fiddle tunes with a mandolin player.
    What is the origin of Cloud Forest? I like that one too.
    Teri LaMarco