Thread: Bent Hook

Default Bent Hook

I'm restringing my Kalamazoo for the first time. When I got the tailpiece off I noticed one of the outside hooks is bent. This is probably my fault, I used a screwdriver to wedge the tailpiece off, I thought I was clear of the hooks, but I don't when else it could have happened. Any tricks for getting it back in working order?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	124050

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	124051

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	124052

Default Re: Bent Hook

There have not been any Kalamazoo mandolins made in a very long tme so there'xs a pretty good chance a previous owner may be responsible for the bent hood. I think you're just going to have to pry it up very gently a bit with a knife edge or similar to open the gap enough to slip the string in there. Be prepared to hunt for a period correct replacement tp or put 2 strings on the same hook in the meantime. I'll bet the mando sounds killer!!!

Ln B.
    Clearwater, FL

3. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

You can probably bend the hook back up, carefully, with no problem, but it looks like your tailpiece is still on your mandolin and I assume it was the tailpiece cover that you pried off.

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Your problem is not uncommon and in fact your are lucky it didn't bend the other way, outward. Pry it just enough to get the string off and another on. No more and don't try to make it perfect because you will "work harden" the metal at the point of bend and make it more likely to break off if you fuss with it. I have a couple of mandos with broken off hooks but in my case they all broke from outward bends from the string not being properly seated around the base of the hook so in tightening the hook bent and snapped off at the point of the work hardened metal. I would guess yours can be bent to shape without a problem.

7. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

To make sure that you don't bend it upwards more than is required,hold the top of the hook down with a piece of heavy metal. That way,when you prise the hook back up,it'll only go as far as what's holding it down - if that makes sense. It's only the front part of the hook that's bent downwards,so that's all you need to bend back up,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: