Thread: Eastman or JBovier?

Default Eastman or JBovier?

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently have a $200 oval Washburn Mandolin that my wife got for me as a gift. I'm not looking to upgrade slightly. I'm torn between the Eastman 305 and the Jbovier A5 Tradition. So I am looking for opinions on which one might be the better purchase or if there is not much difference between the two. Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Default Re: Eastman or JBovier?

I have one friend with the 305 and two friends with the JBovier A5. They are all very happy with their instruments. I suspect (but can't be sure since I haven't seen or played the JBoviers) that either one, well set up, will make you a very happy man. So if you can buy from a shop or an online source with a good reputation for quality set up work, I think you'll be fine either way.

ron

I have a 2013 A5 and I am still amazed at th volume and tone of this instrument. A friend of mine is a local JBovier dealer so I have had the chance to play several. From what I've seen, they are very consistently great sounding mandolins. I have not heard a Eastman that sounds as good. Eastmans can be good but the consistency just isn't there. It's hard to imagine a better mandolin than the A5T at the Mando Shop for $469.

4. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't speak to the Eastman,as I haven't played one. However, I have the A5T, and could not be happier with it. It looks, plays, and sounds way above it's price. Kyle's price at the MandoShop is really a steal for these.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

6. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

I have played both and prefer the Eastman but you should play before you buy. I would recommend the Mandolin Store in Arizona as they are a sponser of this site and a highly recommended store from many members of this forum.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I've owned both and they are both fine instruments. My experience was that for my purposes the JBovier had better tonal qualities/character...YMMV

I've been thinking about picking one up from Kyle at the Mando Shop just on general principle: at that price point it's like stealing candy from a baby...not that I'd like to go around stealing candy from babies...LOL!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

9. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

I'm very happy with my jbovier.

Play before you buy, is always best, but if you can't do that, buy it from a dealer that will give you a trial period. Both get good reviews on this forum. Good hunting!
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

I have a J Bovier A5 and really like it. It took about a year to really open up, but was good from the start. It is my opinion that the J Bovier has a bonus of nicer tuners, large frets and is completely bound. The Eastmans are well built and have a good cutting sound clear and penetrating but not a deep tone. I have had 3 and each began to show fret wear quickly. When the Eastman and the J Bovier are set up, they are good playing mandolins. They do have a different voice in general and only you can decide which you prefer.

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

Before I purchased my J Bovier A5-T, I tried out several mandolins, an Eastman among them (MD404 BK, so not an apples-to-apples consideration). It has a different voice from the J Bovier A5-T.
    I chose the J Bovier A5-T, because it has the voice I wanted. I am really enjoying it!!!
    Good luck making your decision!
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

Blog Entries

I gig with a J Bovier A5 and it is a high quality instrument. My guitars are Guilds, Martins and Taylors, so I am used to good quality. This J Bovier sounds wonderful, with rich tone and great projection. The frets are very comfortable. I agree that Kyle does a great job setting it up and his price is amazing.

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Someone has this JB on Nashville craigslist https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/4707958550.html
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

16. The following members say thank you to Mickey King for this post: