Thread: Eight-String Tenor Uke

Default Eight-String Tenor Uke

Interesting ... first time I've seen one of these. Isn't it basically a mandolin or mandolinetto, depending on how you tune and string it? Though it might not be able to take the higher tension of steel strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0uke-8string.JPG 
Views:	1666 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	123978

8 string Alulu Solid Acacia Koa Tenor Ukulele, Abalone inlay hummingbird

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-string-Alu...-/361054640242

Default Re: Eight-String Tenor Uke

Avoid steel strings.
    For (tenor) mandola tuning, try 2 sets of Aquila 31U concert uke fifths tuning. (nfi)
    This may require a little nut slot enlargement.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob For This Useful Post:

DobePetrus 

They call 8 string ukes taropatches tho I think the tenor version might be a newish invention. Martin and others made them back in the 1920s.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a 1930's-40's Regal taropatch that's tenor size and scale. It's my main uke for gigging, though it's terminally beat-up.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    They call 8 string ukes taropatches tho I think the tenor version might be a newish invention. Martin and others made them back in the 1920s.
    Not to be confused with a tiple, which they also made.

"Taropatch fiddle" was a nickname for the ukulele in the early days, supposedly because workers in the taro-root farms would take their ukes along to strum on their breaks (maybe instead of working the fields, who knows?). The "taropatch" name survived and was applied to double-strung ukuleles.

Taro root is the main ingredient of poi, with which any tourist who's attended a luau should be familiar.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have seen entries in Gibson's shipping ledgers for taropatches and always wondered what the heck they were. Thanks Jim
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

There are quite a few of these models found on eBay (brand new). They are simply tenor ukulele with 4 courses of double strings.
    I have tried one of them in local music store. They are tuned as G C E A as an ukulele.
    Post#2 gives a good alternative to tune is as a mandola (CGDA).
    Ukuleles are not robust enough to handle the tension of steel strings (especially 8 of them), and their body are tailored for nylon strings.

Yep, I guess Martin made them for some years.

Name:	0martintaropatch.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	124166

(from the Martin Technical Reference)

... And the elusive tiple, which had five courses of strings. Not sure if they were gut or steel. Note that while the taropatch was made from 1918-1932 (then merged into the concert-sized uke line), the tiple was produced from 1949-1966.

Name:	0martin-tiple.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	124167

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    ...Not sure if they were gut or steel...
    Steel. The second, third and fourth courses were in octaves, the first course unison. You could tune them like ukuleles, in either GCEA or ADF#B tuning. There were other possible tunings mentioned, but you might have had to buy different strings.

Own a Martin T-15 and a Regal koa tiple from the 1930's. Fun little instruments, but really difficult to play with in-tune intonation, due to the varied string diameters and the short scale -- and the uncompensated bridge.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

13. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Petrus 

Thanks for the info. These instruments are intriguing from a historical perspective (which is why I have screencaps from the Martin Technical Reference lying around on my hard drive), but I don't feel a strong need to own one right now, as I think I spend more than enough time stringing and tuning as it is, without adding another eight or ten strings (in paired courses on a tiny instrument) to the mix. Sometimes I post unusual things that others here might be interested in or that might be educational to study from a theoretical perspective. I find it challenging enough to string and keep my mandolins in tune (usually with more than a fair amount of cussin' up a blue streak in the process!)

I actually own a really nice tenor 8-string uke. It's a blast to play! recently I tried tuning it like a mandola, which did loosen the strings up quite a bit, but it really sounds nice. The 2 bottom pairs of strings are paired octaves, so it sounds kinda of awkward when plucked, but if strummed it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    ... And the elusive tiple, which had five courses of strings. Not sure if they were gut or steel. Note that while the taropatch was made from 1918-1932 (then merged into the concert-sized uke line), the tiple was produced from 1949-1966.
    Sorry, some corrections needed here: the Martin (and other branded American) tiples had four courses of strings, as Allen noted. The Martin tiple was first introduced in their catalogs around 1923. I have a 1928 T-18.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sorry, some corrections needed here: the Martin (and other branded American) tiples had four courses of strings, as Allen noted. The Martin tiple was first introduced in their catalogs around 1923. I have a 1928 T-18.
    Ah yes, good point thanks. I just glanced at the ten-button headstock in the photo and wrongly concluded that it must've had five courses. Forgot that the courses were 2-3-3-2!

And apparently the T-17 (1926) came out before the T-15 (1949), as the fine print in the technical reference indicates. I just looked at the date on the T-15 (on the left column of the book) and saw the 1949 date and overlooked the 1926 date on the T-17.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bailey View Post
    I actually own a really nice tenor 8-string uke. It's a blast to play! recently I tried tuning it like a mandola, which did loosen the strings up quite a bit, but it really sounds nice. The 2 bottom pairs of strings are paired octaves, so it sounds kinda of awkward when plucked, but if strummed it's beautiful.
    I recently got a Recording King resonator uke. It's gorgeous, but the reentrant uke tuning is driving me nuts. I'm going to pull the nylons and put on some light gauge steel strings, maybe do GDAE (mando style) or DGBE (like the top four of a guitar.) I've got a vintage TV Pal plastic uke that I put violin strings on, GDAE, and sounds pretty nice, while allowing my minimal mandolin skills to carry over so my fingers and neurons don't get all pretzelated.