Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Good GBOM'S--Comparisons

Default 3 Good GBOM'S--Comparisons

I'm in the market for a used guitar body octave mandolin. I have heard from two different people who have one they might sell. A third that I'm interested in is not yet represented. The two I've heard about from owners are an Austin Clark and a Fletcher Brock. I would like to learn about their differences in tonal response. Granted both are probably outstanding instruments and I couldn't go wrong with either of them. But I'm just curious. Incidentally the third one I would be interested in learning more about would be from maker Bill Bussman an Old Wave. Any observations would be welcome. Thanks

Default Re: 3 Good GBOM'S--Comparisons

I've played a few Clark's at Wintergrass and they have all been superb. I've only played one Fletcher Brock and it too was wonderful. I've never met Fletcher Brock but Austin Clark has always been very gracious with his time and answered my questions. They are comparable in quality, tone and price point. If it was me, I would go with the Clark.

I own a Clark and haven't played examples of the other two makers. Needless to say, it is a superbly made and very responsive instrument. Mine has an Englemann spruce top, with a 12 fret body join and a soft cutaway. The scale is 20.5". I was looking at bouzoukis also at the time I purchased it, and I preferred the shorter scale on the Clark for my needs. The tone is so subjective, but it is quite rich, balanced, and pumps out the sound volume depending on how it is played. It plays great all the way up the neck. Sounds good with a capo too. Austin made an alternate saddle that I can use if I ever want to convert it to a bouzouki.

I would love to try a Brock or a Bussman one day. Good luck with your choice. You can't go wrong!!

Svea

I have a Rozawood - Roman Zajicek - GOM. A truly excellent instrument. He's worth checking out - his GOM and Mandocellos run about $6K.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

vincit qui se vincit

Quote Originally Posted by GKWilson View Post
    Austin Clark, Fletcher Brock, Mike Black, Jim Hillburn, Bill Bussmann, and pretty soon Marty Jacobson (that's 15 words).

Of these I've played Old Waves (several) and Brock's (one), as well as some spectacular Phil Crump flattops, and each has been in its own way wonderful.

Seriously, at that level (Old Waves more affordable and quite marvelous at $4200, and going up from there, but watch out for Marty Jacobson in the stretch, pretty soon) you are getting good and wonderful work with a great vibe and tone-tone-tone. I don't think you can go too wrong. Play as many as you can. Have fun!

Mark

See too a previous cafe discussion: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...kers-out-there

Carmel Music has a used Mowry GOM. I have the 14 inch GOM, but am eyeing that 16". Andrew makes a great octave, as well as a cittern.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Carmel Music has a used Mowry GOM. I have the 14 inch GOM, but am eyeing that 16". Andrew makes a great octave, as well as a cittern.
    Forgot that one, Mary. So, 17 words: Andrew Mowrey.

And no doubt there are other skillful makers of carved-top OMs and citterns. Wow.

MK

... just because you can't spell Roman's last name...

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Nah, get one of these beauties...
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/inst...itar-bouzouki/
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    ... just because you can't spell Roman's last name...
    Yikes…the last thing I would want to be is provincial. Happy to see lots of nearby and distant artists, whose work I'm not familiar with, mentioned as well. Look forward to learning a lot about other makers including Nigel Forster (I've never played one of his GOMs but his citterns are FANTASTIC), and Roman ZACIJEK looks wonderful as well, Eddie)...

Mark

What about Herb Taylor's archtop octave mandolins? I just ran across his website and they look very interesting, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    What about Herb Taylor's archtop octave mandolins? I just ran across his website and they look very interesting, too.
    I didn't know Herb built GOMS, but his OMs are VERY cool too, with a unique and classy/modern vibe and some extraordinarily good wood choices. And Foley, and Abnett, and Tonjes, and Jake Humphreys, and old Waldzithers, and...

I'm thinking it would have been more helpful to the OP had some of us (hint, hint, Eddie, and maybe hint, hint, Mark!) made a list of the ones we'd owned/played and maybe some of their defining characteristics with respect to build/playability/tone?

Anybody up for that, as a sort of archival project also helpful to the OP?

MK

Markkunkel,
    I like your suggestion. As for Herb Taylor, go to his site and look under his gallery of sold bouzoukis & citterns. That's where the OM is.

AFAIK Herb will be at he O'Flaherty retreat and bringing some instruments with him for demo...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    AFAIK Herb will be at he O'Flaherty retreat and bringing some instruments with him for demo...
    That should be VERY nice. I've played only Herb's older instruments, and understand that he's made significant improvements over even those wonderful OMs and citterns I've hosted. We'll be looking for a full report, Eddie!
    MK

I will be in Denver in two weeks and have arranged a visit to Herb's shop, both to see his instruments and his dogs. Will give you another report early October.

I just checked out Herb's table at the GAL convention. All the instruments I played sounded great, and had something intriguing about them. The level of technical competence evident in his work is astounding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-25 16.29.10.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	124044

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

GKWilsonhank 

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I just checked out Herb's table at the GAL convention. All the instruments I played sounded great, and had something intriguing about them. The level of technical competence evident in his work is astounding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-25 16.29.10.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	124044
    So many artists in the world! I love what Herb is doing with those staved backs...they manage to look traditional and contemporary all at the same time. Wow. Thanks for sharing the pic, Marty...

Is that a five string tenor guitar with the two sticky notes attached Marty? I bet that would be a hoot to play.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Quote Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
    I love what Herb is doing with those staved backs...they manage to look traditional and contemporary all at the same time. Wow.
    I confess to being the instigator behind Herb's building of staved back instruments. I had contacted another builder in England (who is well known for a similar design) but who was unwilling to consider using my preferred woods. Herb was game and did an amazing job. I got the first one from him in 2008 (a large-bodied one now owned by a former student in Bloomington, IN) and another (smaller body design) in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Is that a five string tenor guitar with the two sticky notes attached Marty? I bet that would be a hoot to play.
    Yes.

24. The following members say thank you to zoukboy for this post:

hank 

Well I'm leaning towards a Clark. The scale length is just over 20" which is wonderful for short fingers. And from what I've heard they sound great. Still plan to see Herb Taylor in a couple weeks and try out what he has.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

if you have the funds, Mr Forster told me earlier that he's about to start a new batch (in my case celtic mandolin MAS was biting again) for spring 2015. Not sure if that's in general or just mandos...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    Well I'm leaning towards a Clark. The scale length is just over 20" which is wonderful for short fingers. And from what I've heard they sound great. Still plan to see Herb Taylor in a couple weeks and try out what he has.
    Well? Inquiring minds want to know what you wound up with. Whatever it is, I hope it brings untold hours of joy.
    MK