Thread: strumming technique

Default strumming technique

Do you stroke the strings straight across or do you use a slight angle when going across all the strings? I am working on using more pressure with my left hang so I don't get rattling (and placing finger close to fret) plus going light with my right hand. But going across all 8 strings straight is awkward at this point. I have a very flexible wrist/hand from fiddle playing so am sure that comes in handy.

And yes I am taking lessons, every 2 weeks, from a player with great finesse but not everything is explained.

Default Re: strumming technique

Parallel with the strings here, no angle. Yes it glides easier when angled but I strive for the Monroe influenced tone, therefore straight. It requires a relaxed wrist but also a relaxed grip. You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one...

3. The following members say thank you to John Gardinsky for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

The angle of your attack depends on what tone you want . As pointed out above. Loose wrist and grip are required whatever angle you decide to use. The angle you hold your mandolin to play it also has an effect on how your pick contacts your strings. Where you are plucking the strings between the bridge and the neck also makes tonal differences as well as touch differences. Be patient , practice with a will to learn and you will achieve your tone goals. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by John Gardinsky View Post
    Parallel with the strings here, no angle. Yes it glides easier when angled but I strive for the Monroe influenced tone, therefore straight. It requires a relaxed wrist but also a relaxed grip. You are going to get a lot of different answers on this one...
    Yep.

Big Mon said "whip it like a mule".
    Clark Beavans

Blog Entries

The angle of attack is another tool in your toolbox, to vary according to the emotions you want to express and the effects you want to achieve.

Yelling is loud and strong, but you don't want to hear it all the time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks everyone. Yes there is quite a bit of skill and practice to reach the finer points. I have plenty of years to practice! Well at least that's the plan.