Thread: Mike Marshall/ D. Anger-" Borealis" on utube

Default Mike Marshall/ D. Anger-" Borealis" on utube

Just saw a nice version on the tube. Mike is playing( I believe) his mandocello, but as always am open to correction. Again, I am having problems posting the video. I am a dunce. If someone would tell me where it shows how to do this, I would Appreciate a pm.Otherwise Maybe Bernie, or some other person with skills above mine would be kind enough to post it. Does anyone know of a tab for this tune ? One of my favorite video is of Chris T. and Jerry Douglas jamming this tune in the pouring rain @ Grey Fox. People standing in the rain to listen and both guys enjoying themselves.

Registered User Claudia Amslinger's Avatar

Default Re: Mike Marshall/ D. Anger-" Borealis" on utube

O.K. Here is my first trial to post a video clip. I hope it will work.
    So - is it this one?

Yeah, it is Mike's mandocello. I had the chance to play it at Mike's workshop this year so I am quite sure of it
    Last edited by Claudia Amslinger; Sep-13-2014 at 3:39pm.

3. The following members say thank you to Claudia Amslinger for this post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

More to the point, it's Mike's Monteleone mandocello, which is a very rare bird. Anyway, this tune has been the standard-bearer for modern mandocello composition since it first appeared a few years back on their Woodshop cd. Great stuff, always great to see this video!

Does anyone know the origin of the song ?

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandomonte View Post
    Does anyone know the origin of the song ?
    It's an original by Mike. First appearance was on that Woodshop cd. Amos above is fortunate that Mike lives in Germany now with Caterina, so he'll have better access to him and the workshops, but he will be traveling back to the U.S. occasionally. I know his agent is trying to put together a tour for he and Darol, so if it all works out you'll be able to catch them somewhere along the way, and probably playing this tune of you shout out a request.

There won't be any tab, but just give it a try by ear. On one hand, getting the basic notes and pattern is easier than you think, and as usual, getting it all right is harder than you think.

7. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Got the first 12 notes. May be uphill sledding from there. Well they do repeat quite a bit.
    Last edited by Mandomonte; Sep-16-2014 at 6:37pm. Reason: ad on

It's hard to tell from the camera work, but is this the piece where Mike plays descending octaves on the C and G strings, including that fun C# with index finger and pinky?
    still trying to turn dreams into memories