Thread: Calton Case- Years, Manufacturers and Changes

Default Calton Case- Years, Manufacturers and Changes

All,

I'm hoping to pick up a used Calton case, but can't seem to find a definitive thread regarding the "eras" of cases, if you will.

Specifically, there's apparently a series of cases where the hinge poses a threat of breaking part of the headstock in a fall. What years were these cases made or, alternatively, when did Calton fix the problem?

Additionally, when did Calton expand the headstock space in the case?

Similarly, do folks feel like their mando headstocks are particular slammed in old Calton cases, to the point that you don't even use it anymore, or are these concerns overblown?

I currently use a Travelite and love it. My concern is that (1) it's going to get crushed by a drunkard (possibly myself ) late night at a festival or (2) I'm going to get unlucky with the new airline mode of business and be forced to gate check the Travelite or not get on the plane (I'd probably choose not getting on the plane). I haven't had a problem with the latter yet, and I've witnessed enough close calls with other instruments on the former to have some concern.

Thanks,

Neal
    1994 Flatiron F-5 Artist
    1995 Flatiron Performer A

https://www.slimpickinsband.com

Default Re: Calton Case- Years, Manufacturers and Changes

Be prepared for some opinions. There are folks who have strong ones about Calton mandolin cases.

The early Calton mandolin cases with the headstock problem had a flat lid for the accessory pocket with no neck holder. This allowed the headstock to move sideways and contact the side of the case if it was dropped hard on it's side. Some owners experienced broken headstock scrolls and were understandably upset. I think this was 2 or more decades ago. Calton's response was to add a big foam neck holder on the top of the accessory pocket lid. This apparently solved the problem. They didn't change the shape of the shell. There isn't a huge amount of space around the headstock and some folks are still paranoid. But I haven't heard of documented instances of broken headstocks with the new design. You can visually tell the difference between the old and new versions. I haven't been able to find a photo of the early version, I don't think there are many out there. But here's a photo of the new version. There are lots of Lloyd Loar F-5 owners still using Caltons. There are a few folks who have sworn off and prefer a different brand.

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010130.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	123746

On the earlier versions on the case (the ones with the metal bumpers) the bumper on the bottom front lined up exactly with the scroll so if the case took a hit on that one spot there was a good chance the scroll might be be damaged. When the design was changed to the plastic bumpers the position of the bumper was changed so there was less chance of that happening. The latest iteration that's made in Austin is 1" wider in diameter in the scroll area so there's more protective space around the scroll. I've used Caltons for years and unfortunately had a few bumps and drops and even with the older style cases have never encountered any damage to any of my mandolins, maybe I've just been lucky.

Now *that's* adequate headstock area...

Blog Entries

Original version. 1978 vintage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldcalton1.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	123747 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldcaltona.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	123748
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thanks Gary. I just looked on the new website for the Austin, TX built Caltons and saw they have redesigned the shells of all their cases. As you said, they have made the headstock area 1" wider on the mandolin cases. I see they also have a true Dreadnaught shape guitar case. I always disliked the fact that they put Dreadnaughts in a Jumbo sized shell. So they're really improving their cases in many important details. I have a newish mandolin case from Keith Calton built in England. It has the new rubber bumpers and I really like them. The Austin Calton's have an even better rubber bumper that protects the latches.

Steve

"(...) Some owners experienced broken headstock scrolls and were understandably upset. I think this was 2 or more decades ago. Calton's response was to add a big foam neck holder on the top of the accessory pocket lid. This apparently solved the problem. (...)"

Steve, the Calgary Caltons had one hinge (with the rivet sticking out on the inside) right next to the head stock scroll. (The hinge was "lower" on the UK version. Anybody ever broke off their head stock scroll with one of those later UK cases?) The neck holder didn't solve the basic problem at all on the Canadian cases; the mando could still move. I understand the new Austin cases are better.

Blog Entries

Does anyone have the headstock area width on the new ones? I have a really old one, and a fairly recent UK built one here, and I'll measure them later today.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Definitely get one of the redesigned ones (see my avatar).
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    Definitely get one of the redesigned ones (see my avatar).
    Off topic I know, but get a Peg.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Off topic I know, but get a Peg.
    My Gilchrist and F4s now resides in Pegasis cases. Much better design!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Registered User Sven the Impaler's Avatar

A Canadian Calton (metal feet era) has protected my F in numerous significant falls and drops, including several to the hinge side. Plenty of scuffs and dings to the case, but the F has survived with no issues.

As a side note...just acquired a Hoffee carbon fiber case for a 13 pound banjo....engineered well, strong, and 40% lighter then the Calton it replaced. Don't see as much of a weight savings benefit on a mando carbon fiber case since it's much lighter to start with.

I own two different Caltons (older UK and Canadian). But my recent Gary Price case is by far the best, as it holds the mando tighter, and there is fine padding around the head stock scroll.