Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Be No Rock & Roll Without The Carter Sisters

Default Would Be No Rock & Roll Without The Carter Sisters

The first Rock & Roll riff? The Carter Sisters "I'm Leaving You This Lonesome Song".

Here's a cover on Youtube, really captures the classic lead riff, but the only way to hear THE FIRST EVER Rock & Roll Riff, ripped off by all far and wide, is to pay up for the original tune on Itunes, Amazon, Smithsonian Pathways, etc.

The original song is far slower than the Youtube cover, and if you hear it, you'll be convinced as I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U84I2zfFpsc

It took a woman to invent Rock & Roll.

Default Re: Would Be No Rock & Roll Without The Carter Sisters

Not to be overly picky, but I think I would classify this as "boogy" ("boogie?") rather than rock n roll. As in Freight Train Boogie, etc.

Much used in jump blues, New Orleans, etc. I doubt that the Carter Sisters pulled it out of a hat, but I don't have any historical reference to cite.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone's said to have invented Rock&Roll.

I'd be rich off of Little Richard's alone.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Well you just can't hide under a rock that rolls. Speaking to this dynamic we have Rolling Rock beer.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Cain't be no rock 'n' roll. Thar ain't no banjer in the rock 'n' roll, 'n' they got two of 'em!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

here's a better version.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Bunting For This Useful Post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Nobody invents a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Nobody invents a genre.
    Usually somebody just steals it and claims it for their own.

I think this song was one of their earlier 1930's tunes, real early on. I've never heard the Carter's Rock/Boogie riff in any earlier recordings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Nobody invents a genre.
    I did. It's called Mando Rock. Started back in 1968. Just hasn't caught on. Yet.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Bill Monroe created a genre. The 1946 band and the way they played became the archetype of bluegrass.

Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli pretty much created Gypsy Jazz. Django's guitar playing defines that genre.

Grisman would probably argue about Dawg Music. Frankly, there was no one playing the type of music Grisman's early quintet was doing. It wasn't progressive bluegrass/newgrass. Wasn't jazz. It was a synthesis and not derivative.

As far as rock and roll, Rock and Roll is just fine without the Carter Sisters. Many early rock n rollers most likely listened to the Carter Sisters (Elvis and Carl Perkins I'm sure heard them). But to say that the Carters started rock and roll totally ignores the blues and early jazz.

Blog Entries

True enough. Rock 'n' roll, that beloved mongrel mutt of music, is an amalgam, in different proportions as suits its purveyors, of blues, country, pop, R & B (variously named), folk, jazz (chiefly the jump blues of Louis Jordan and others), with a soupçon of other genres, such as swing and cajun. Other genres have been added to the mix along the way. Some cognoscenti have made the case for the first rock 'n' roll song being "Rocket 88" by Jackie Brenston in 1951 - actually, Ike Turner, Jackie was just the singer on that one. If that's what they want, OK. But there sure were plenty of tunes well before this that sound like rock 'n' roll. "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller, "One O'Clock Jump" by Count Basie, any number of tunes from Louis Jordan, and many others, all fit the bill, despite obvious differences in instrumentation and feel.

I suppose the popularity of small combos featuring electric guitar and drums as the most prominent instruments could be seen as defining the genre, but there are too many exceptions to this "rule" - early rockabilly bands often had acoustic guitars and little or no drums, piano and sax got used a lot, etc., etc., etc. Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel" was #1 on the pop, country, and R & B charts at the same time, which illustrates the music's broad appeal and simultaneous embracing and defiance of categories. Rock musicians have always used elements of various genres as suited them, and riffs from one or another genre fit right into rock 'n' roll just fine. So if a riff from a Carter Sisters song sounds like it would fit into a rock song, it shouldn't be too surprising. It is pretty cool, though.

I am with Jim,

Also. I do remember that Sam Bush has been recognized by many as the creator of Newgrass.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Bill Monroe created a genre. The 1946 band and the way they played became the archetype of bluegrass.

Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli pretty much created Gypsy Jazz. Django's guitar playing defines that genre.

Grisman would probably argue about Dawg Music. Frankly, there was no one playing the type of music Grisman's early quintet was doing. It wasn't progressive bluegrass/newgrass. Wasn't jazz. It was a synthesis and not derivative.

As far as rock and roll, Rock and Roll is just fine without the Carter Sisters. Many early rock n rollers most likely listened to the Carter Sisters (Elvis and Carl Perkins I'm sure heard them). But to say that the Carters started rock and roll totally ignores the blues and early jazz.
    Bluegrass is a genre but dawg music was just a synthesis?

I'd make the argument that bluegrass is just as much a synthesis as dawg music is. The reason dawg music didn't catch on the way bluegrass did was because its a hell of a lot more complex. It's difficult to get together with a group of strangers and play it like a bluegrass jam.

I might say that A lot of the stuff Andy statman does is very dawg-ish

Bluegrass basically just mixed old time country and blues. Dawg mixed bluegrass and jazz. I don't know much about gypsy jazz, but i imagine it's a mix of some sort of traditional Romani music mixed with jazz.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

17. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I suppose the popularity of small combos featuring electric guitar and drums as the most prominent instruments could be seen as defining the genre, but there are too many exceptions to this "rule" - early rockabilly bands often had acoustic guitars and little or no drums, piano and sax got used a lot, etc., etc., etc.
    Amazing that the Rockabilly-ists were playing speed metal on acoustic guitars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Bluegrass is a genre but dawg music was just a synthesis?
    I think he's saying that it is still original ( not derivative), even though it is a synthesis. All of his examples are mixtures of different elements, the result becoming a new genre that, while owing something to its forebears, stands on its own. "The blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll."

The roots of all music is made up of other music. There is nothing new under the sun. I don't know what or when " music" first started but since then it has all built on what came before.I am amused by blue grassers knocking rock and roll when they came from a common source. Early rock was almost bluegrass with electric instruments. Same harmony same format same beat usually different subjects(no cabins in rock). The two just developed differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    The roots of all music is made up of other music. There is nothing new under the sun. I don't know what or when " music" first started but since then it has all built on what came before.I am amused by blue grassers knocking rock and roll when they came from a common source. Early rock was almost bluegrass with electric instruments. Same harmony same format same beat usually different subjects(no cabins in rock). The two just developed differently.
    But then there's Yoko Ono with Stupid-Rock, with apologies from my generation to yours for such degradation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-wSiMplfJQ

And, of course, Yoko's primal screaming, a whole new level of a genre whose time has yet to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qm7bCtBCgI

Quote Originally Posted by High Lonesome Valley View Post
    But then there's Yoko Ono with Stupid-Rock, with apologies from my generation to yours for such degradation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-wSiMplfJQ

And, of course, Yoko's primal screaming, a whole new level of a genre whose time has yet to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qm7bCtBCgI

I would think you would be a Yoko fan, High Lonesome. As in, you gotta be high to listen to it, and if you're a fan, you sure are lonesome.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"

IMOP Maybelle and the girls were in the middle of the birth of r&r but it's a real stretch to think they were the originators. The new Carter Family, of Maybelle and the girls, toured with and opened for Elvis when none of the country music establishment wanted anything to do with him. Maybelle didn't mind Elvis being the star. She was a professional and knew a good opportunity when she saw one. Elvis didn't mind touring with three pretty girls either.

Blog Entries

If I was to put the start of Rock and Roll in female hands, it would be Rosetta Tharpe.

It aint rock and roll without an electric guitar and attitude, two things she did amazingly.

If you think about it...Zeppelin did this. Their music is a little blues, rock, Celtic, funk all put in a blender....and poof! Zep was born.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    If I was to put the start of Rock and Roll in female hands, it would be Rosetta Tharpe.

It aint rock and roll without an electric guitar and attitude, two things she did amazingly.
    Yessir!

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    If you think about it...Zeppelin did this. Their music is a little blues, rock, Celtic, funk all put in a blender....and poof! Zep was born.
    Well, yeah ... decades later ...

Quote Originally Posted by Londy View Post
    There's a difference between "building on what came before" and copyright infringement.

Hey check this out -- collect 'em all:

http://radio.com/2014/06/27/led-zepp...ngement-cards/

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    There's a difference between "building on what came before" and copyright infringement.

Hey check this out -- collect 'em all:

http://radio.com/2014/06/27/led-zepp...ngement-cards/
    YES! I've held that against them since he beginning.
    We had Jake Holmes at the club in Montreal, pre zeppelin, and remember Dazed and Confused from that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Zep STOLE this, the most famous of opening musical lines in rock history...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TGj2jrJk8

from Johnny Rivers

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...E657E33758528E