Thread: Very simple question here, probably going to be a short one- rags

Default Very simple question here, probably going to be a short one- rags

Quick question, don't have anyone else to ask right now.

When a rag comes up in a jam like the Beaumont rag, black mountain, or easy Tennessee blues (I believe that's a rag right?) in a BG jam, would I just play it through once? Or twice when it comes to my turn?

I could just ask next time a jam comes up but I might forget and sometimes a tune will start so fast that there's really no time to ask questions

Thanks!
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Default Re: Very simple question here, probably going to be a short one-

The other players should at least give you a nod to let you know when it's your turn. As for playing it through once or twice,do what the other players do.If you're meant to play it through twice & you find it a bit hard going,play it once & then take a step back - literally,that usually lets the other players know that that particular tune is a bit tough on you.That's the bit where you get home & practice like hell to get 2 breaks next time. Nobody's so great that they can pull off terrific solos at the drop of a hat,unless they're very experienced & talented players,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Ivan is spot on about the nod. There are different nods, usually defined by context, so it's good to keep your eye on the others, especially near the beginning and end of each round. If you get the nod, go for it. If you're really ripping, you might get another nod, to take another turn. Raising your eyebrows is another way to indicate readiness. Also, if you're all in a circle, it's often (but not always) customary for turns to go right around, unless someone is calling turns. Generally speaking, everyone there is looking to have a good time, and that typically involves some sort of cooperation.

What you don't want to do is play with your eyes closed, as if you're transported by your own playing. The others may not be so enthralled, and may be trying to get you to knock it off after your fifth or sixth go-round. Also, if you think you don't have a real good handle on a tune after all, you can pass it off to someone else at the halfway point. This can be really slick; just make sure the receiver is paying attention and quick on the uptake.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

If it is a song that you start then after everyone has taken their turn you can play it one last time and end it, a lot of tunes get boring after being played too may times even in a circle of about 5-6 players but every one in that circle should be allowed to have his/her turn if they want it, not every one will want to take a turn if they aren`t familiar with the tune....The best way to break up a jam session is to play a song that is complicated...I have been in jams that were so un bluegrassy that not many people stayed around very long because they didn`t know any of the songs that were being started...

Have fun and if things are too complicated it tends to be less fun...

Willie