Thread: Wondering about this vintage mandolin....

Default Wondering about this vintage mandolin....

I have a very old looking, purportedly Italian, mandolin that I am seeking to have restored. I am wondering if anybody knows anything about this instrument. It is bowl backed and the eagle on the top makes me want to say it's American, but this mandolin supposedly belonged to my great, great grandfather who came over on a boat from Italy. Either way, I am hoping somebody can shed some light on what it may be!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1886.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	123345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	123346  

Default Re: Wondering about this vintage mandolin....

Just my guess but this is a high quality mandolin made in Italy. The eagle is a traditional Italian symbol much like the American symbol. In restored condition you've got something special. Another possibility is that it was built in America by Italian immigrants who possessed the skills brought over from the old country. I would love to see a nice close up of the eagle inlay in the pick guard.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

An interesting mandolin. Thanks for posting. Do you have more photos you can provide? My guess would be that it is American made, but there are distinct Italian features--the soundhole rosette inlay (though not uncommon on US bowls) and the curved profile of the end of the fingerboard, which one rarely sees on American bowlbacks. Contrarily so, the top edge binding hardly looks classic Italian. The headstock, tuners and back-of-the-bowl look very American. Like the Hudmeister implies, perhaps this is a hybrid construction...by recent immigrants with experience in Italy?

Some more photos would help....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I alos lean to American. The pickguard inlay in not a real give-away as to maker. Makers often bought those pre-cut from pearl cutting suppliers and you can find the same inlay on mandolins (or guitars or banjos) of different makers. The same thing with the equally popular butterflies on pickguards.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The neck (though its hard to tell exactly from the photo) looks like non-veneered mahogany, which would suggest American, but it doesn't have the collar covering the end of the ribs which was common.

That appears to be an American interpretation of an eagle. The inlays and other features say "American" to me.

Thanks for the replies folks! Here are a few more pics I found....the thing that looks like a crack across the top and through the pickguard is just a string.....thats one old string.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	123661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	123662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1890.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	123663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1892.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	123664

I would not say that this is particularly valuable mandolin regardless of where it was made. It might cost you quite a bit to have ti restored to playing condition, possibly more than it would be worth. I assume you have some sentimental attachment since it belonged to your GGGF?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think it is a good looking mandolin and a wonderful piece of family history. I've got a picture of my great, great grandfather, but a mandolin would be better! Good luck with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandomax88 View Post
    I have a very old looking, purportedly Italian, mandolin that I am seeking to have restored. I am wondering if anybody knows anything about this instrument. It is bowl backed and the eagle on the top makes me want to say it's American, but this mandolin supposedly belonged to my great, great grandfather who came over on a boat from Italy.
    If you have any pictures of him with the instrument, get them printed and kept with the instrument. If you decide to sell it or hand it on, get a picture of yourself holding the instrument, and put that with it as well. 100 years from now, someone will be eternally grateful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....