Thread: McCormick Electric F-style

Default McCormick Electric F-style

This is a Mac McCormick 8-string solid-body electric. I don't play electrics much but this was made by a friend and I'm told he only made three. Mac passed away in 2007. He was a truly eclectic man and a wonderful luthier. I purchased it because Mac was a friend and because I thought it needed to come back home to Columbus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_220647-1.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	123322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_220704.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	123323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_221154.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	123324  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140831_222045.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	123325  

Default Re: McCormick Electric F-style

Cool, where'd you find it?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

very clever--solid body that looks like an acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Cool, where'd you find it?
    Mac was a well-respected luthier here in Columbus, GA. He concentrated on guitars. He had a waiting list of customers when he died in 2007. Mac was a friend who helped me with some dulcimer construction techniques. Most of his work took place in a little room about 10X10, although the entire shop was much larger. I've never seen him working when he didn't have duct tape holding his shoes together. He was a pretty heavy smoker and that's what took his life. He did both construction and repair work.

At the time I first saw this mandolin, I couldn't afford it. And besides, I was doing strictly acoustic or acoustic electric but not just electric. A local musician purchased it from Mac (or it may have been Mac's estate after he died.) He later sold it to a man in Vermont. I had advertised in the classifieds here looking for a McCormick mandolin, acoustic or electric and the Vermont man was willing to let this one go. He said he didn't play it much and he thought it should go back home to Columbus. I agreed.

When I first saw the pictures of this mandolin, I didn't realize it was the same one I piddled with before Mac died. I'm told he only made three electric mandolins and I believe this may be the only one that's actually F-style.

As the pictures show, it has "sound holes" and looks like a regular F-style mandolin. The holes are for decoration only. The workmanship is great and it sounds like, well, an electric mandolin.

I used it on a couple of songs at our regular gig Saturday but it's not something I would play regularly. But I'm hanging onto it because Mac was something of a legend in this town and now I've got a McCormick.

5. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Kowboy 

After a diligent search, I came across this picture of Mac. This is about as dressed up as he ever got at work.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167384190_87f1e48dbe.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	123732

Great story, and a nice instrument too!