Thread: Fender FM 53S and The Loar LM 520 Performer

Default Fender FM 53S and The Loar LM 520 Performer

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether or not to buy The Loar LM 520 Performer. I have a Fender FM 53S.

I have been playing the Fender for about two weeks, and I can already play "The Swallowtail Jig," "Red Haired Boy," and "Paddy O'Carroll" and can improvise a bit on each. (I am a pretty good guitar player and have some natural talent. I do practice!).

My goal is to jam with others and play for myself and with others for "serious" fun. So no professional aspirations.

I am a little frustrated playing the top two strings on the mando. The strings are more difficult for me to fret than those of a guitar, and whereas I practice stretching my fingers and hand for the guitar, I obviously have to compact my hand and fingers for the mando. So, I wonder if my frustration on fingering is mostly a result of the time on the guitar and the very little time on the mando.

The tone on the Fender is not rich or full. Is this only a product of my playing? Or is it the mando? A little of both? I want a richer tone.

So, I would like opinions on whether or not The Loar will give me the better tone and overall sound.

Thanks in advance!

Caroline

Default Re: Fender FM 53S and The Loar LM 520 Performer

I can say in my experience, having a mandolin that feels and sounds 'right' for you will make you play a lot more and improve rapidly. I'm a long-time bassist who finally decided about 8 months ago to devote decent time to the mandolin. I pretty quickly upgraded to a nice used Weber and once that was in the house, all I wanted to do was play it. I can eek a whole lot more nuance out of the Weber than my Tacoma and it just makes me smile. The sounds in my head are really starting to come to my fingers. I thank my Gallatin every night.
    Blow on, man.

3. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

The mass production in asia often is not resulting in a players instrument ,
    but the cost after importer and shop markup is affordable.

bumping up to an instrument with a more resonant body & top especially will be significantly more money

I dont have a 'theLoar', so I cannot say.. buying the mandolin from a retail shop that does a careful pre delivery
    set up will make a significant improvement to the fingering ..
    ideally go where you can audition the next one.. Buyers of Eastmans like theirs.

a friend (worked for music store, here), went to the import warehouse and played a lot of them before deciding ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

5. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I have a The Loar 600 and a Dearstone and a 1987 Flatiron. The Loar isn't the mandolin they are but for the price it's a great mandolin. Set-up on mine was terrible when I got it, not just playablite but intonation was bad, I replaced the nut and recut the bridge to make it possible to tune, but as said here many times a set up by someone who knows mandolins and they make a good player mandolin.

7. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Even my cheapest Mandolin is not hard to play, your Fender might benefit from a good setup, lighter strings ect. That said I'm pretty sure the Loar would be a step up.
    Jim Richmond

9. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

If you get The Loar 520 from folkmusician.com the set up is guaranteed to be spot on. Also, you can call and ask about the model and get whatever questions you have honestly answered.

I purchased a 700 from them and actually really regret no longer having it.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

11. The following members say thank you to dcoventry for this post:

Thanks for the advice! After playing a lot more this week on the Fender, it sounds a little better because I am a little better. I still want a better instrument, though.

Blog Entries

You need several things to get good tone from an instrument:

Good (or at least reasonable) technique. How to fret, how to pick.
    A good setup. Critically important - if the nut slots are wrong, frets are not finished properly, or bridge is out - your tone will be out.
    Good quality strings compatible with that specific instrument, and choice of pick. Both make a big difference. Experiment.
    A decent mandolin. There are a gazillion pages on that topic right here...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

14. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Going by specs, the Loar's better constructed, with a carved top and all-solid-wood construction. The Fender has a heat-pressed, though solid, top, and laminated back and sides.

A good set-up enhances the playability of any mandolin, and if it's easier to play and more responsive, generally it'll sound better.

Cafe member robster offers an e-book on mandolin set-up to Cafe´members. You can search on his name and get info.

I love getting and playing all kinds of mandolins, but auditing and optimizing your technique, and your instrument's set-up, makes sense -- to maximize its potential. When you've reached that potential, and want to step up beyond it, consider buying a better instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I bought The Loar 590 and a very nice Guardian case was thrown into the deal plus set up for $390. I sound much better on The Loar! I absolutely love it. The neck / fretboard is wider than the Fender's and the pairs of strings are wider apart than on the Fender, so my picking instantly improved as did my fretting. The tone is great, too. The Fender is set up. The Loar 590 is just a much better instrument than the Fender.

I have a 520 and I love it. I'm a working musician and, for me, it is unquestionably the best bang for your buck. It typically holds it's own against many instruments worth 10x as much. Set up, as with any mandolin, is critical. It sounds like your Fender could be improved with a pro setup but I'd be pretty sure the 520 would be a big step up.