Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what ,exactly, is a mando bass ?

Default Re: what ,exactly, is a mando bass ?

I thought we were going to talk about fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I thought we were going to talk about fishing...
    Okay, just remember you asked for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    so i posted the vids on facebook & got a pic from a friend showing the Fairports using a banjobass - bowed - on top of the pops (famous UK tv folks, but you knew it right...).
    The instrumentation that Fairport played on that TOTP broadcast was a deliberate send-up to highlight the fact that they were miming to the studio recording (Si Tu Dois Partir) -- the instruments have little to do with what's on the audio. It's Ashley Hutchings on bowed bass banjo (!), Richard Thompson on accordion, Simon Nicol on guitar and Dave Swarbrick on fiddle. Drummer Dave Mattacks wasn't on the studio track at all (Fairport's original drummer Martin Lamble died in a car crash between the recording and the album/single release) and is seen playing a washboard. I seem to recall that Ashley found the bass banjo lying around in the BBC studio backstage and thought it would make a nice prop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frompastarchives.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	123420

Martin

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That is so funny! I remember those days, and never could understand why it was common practice for these shows to do that - have performers on, but then only lip-synch their songs.

This reminded me of the classic appearance by Rod Stewart with The Faces on TOTP. The only live signal was Rod's mike - everything else was backing tracks. Heck, the only one present on the album - Rod's second after he left the band - was Ron Wood. See any cords on the guitar and bass? How about the great acoustic tone on Ron's solo? Especially when he isn't even picking! Oh, and that isn't the mandolin player from Lindisfarne, either - that's John Peel, the great British DJ. The whole thing was farcical, and they showed it up for what it was. Hilarious!

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I like the Pole.. in the 25th post .. nicely placed..

so the Wash bucket became the Pot the head was stretched over ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That is so funny! I remember those days, and never could understand why it was common practice for these shows to do that - have performers on, but then only lip-synch their songs.

This reminded me of the classic appearance by Rod Stewart with The Faces on TOTP. The only live signal was Rod's mike - everything else was backing tracks. Heck, the only one present on the album - Rod's second after he left the band - was Ron Wood. See any cords on the guitar and bass? How about the great acoustic tone on Ron's solo? Especially when he isn't even picking! Oh, and that isn't the mandolin player from Lindisfarne, either - that's John Peel, the great British DJ. The whole thing was farcical, and they showed it up for what it was. Hilarious!

That is pretty funny -- I did not notice what was wrong when I watched it but it seemed weird at the time. Never much of a Rod Stewart fan though so my attention level was not full on I guess.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    I like the Pole.. in the 25th post .. nicely placed..

so the Wash bucket became the Pot the head was stretched over ?
    Yes. Apparently, due to some unforeseen providential happenstance, the diameter of the washtub top and drum head were the same. He found turnbuckles or something like that to go around it and stretch the skin tight. What I can't explain is why he thought to do it this way, rather than use the customary method of turning the tub upside down and putting the neck on top. Nor can I explain his use of what is essentially a standard bass neck and bridge with four strings. Well, OK, that I understand, even though it's not the usual approach. Whatever his reasoning process, the result is impressive, and he's a wiz on it.

Yeah, the pole placement ... Happens to me all the time - face obscured by posts, speakers, objects hanging from the ceiling. I suspect some cameras have built-in self preservation apparatuses that intervene with the damage that attempts to capture the image of my face could cause to them. Also, keep in mind I'm just the mandolinist, so photographers' attentions are usually directed elsewhere - like to the handsome lead singer or either of the pretty female singers. Never mind that I'm the lead instrument; who cares about that? This happens so often, and it's so funny how it keeps happening, that I have a collection of these shots up on my facebook page.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!