Thread: back in action

Default back in action

I rejoined the Long Island Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra.
    I am playing 2nd mandolin.
    A guy in the group is bringing a mandolin for me to buy.
    I have been playing with borrowed mandolins.
    We will be performing at the Italian Festival at Hofstra University in September.
    One of the players has a Weber Tamarack Mandocello which is beautiful!
    I have arthritis in my right hand index finger and it affects my tremelo.
    I'm still able to read music.
    I haven't post on the Cafe in 10 years which is about the same time I stopped playing.
    It is good to be back!
    David
    David Herman

Default Re: back in action

Welcome back - 10 years is too long!

Blog Entries

Welcome back! And congrats on playing with the orchestra.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Welcome back, David. I assume by your name that you also play domra? You probably know this already but make sure that your newly acquired mandolin has nice low action and you may want to try lighter strings to be easy on your hand. I also wonder if there is a way a teacher can work with you on tremolo if your arthritis is only in your right index finger. Perhaps there is a way around it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Welcome back, David. I assume by your name that you also play domra? You probably know this already but make sure that your newly acquired mandolin has nice low action and you may want to try lighter strings to be easy on your hand. I also wonder if there is a way a teacher can work with you on tremolo if your arthritis is only in your right index finger. Perhaps there is a way around it.
    I went to rehearsal tonight but the man who offered me a mandolin was not there.
    Toni Nigrelli, our conductor, and a great contributor to CMSA, offered me her Strad-O-Lin but didn't know what it was worth. Neither did I.
    I still have my domra. It was built by the late Milton Cherin. Milton and Charlie Rappaport were very close.
    Jim, would you recommend an oval Eastman for classical music? They must be good if David Grisman had them make models of instruments he plays.
    Still regret selling my Flatiron 3MW tenor mandola that I got at Mandolin Brothers from Stan Jay in the 1980s.
    David Herman

I have never really played many Eastman mandolins that were set up properly so I am not the right person to judge. I know there are many players who like them.

Figure out how much you can spend and read thru the many threads about what mandolin to buy. Take a trip to Mandolin Brothers or Retrofret (in Brooklyn). Unfortunately, LI music stores that I know of really have little in the way of decent mandolins and the ones they do have are usually not set up properly.

If you can afford it, a vintage Gibson can be an excellent mandolin. BTW depending on what model Strad-O-Lin Toni has (laminate or solid wood) the better ones usually go for $300-400. You might also consider a used Flatiron pancake if you can find one (since you did have a mandola) or a Big Muddy mandolin which are the contemporary equivalent and certainly would be a nice simple, good sounding and well-made instrument.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi David,

I have had 3 adult students who purchased Eastman A style oval hole and F hole instruments and they are an excellent sound for the $$$.
    The Ovals are a bit quieter and mellow and the f holes have a nice sound that projects well (without a bluegrass bark)
    They all have been very easy to play.

Good luck!
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Welcome back, David. Jim Garber gave you good advice, including the recommendation of
    Big Muddy mandolins made by Mike Dulak. I own his violin scale rosewood model and it is a nice mandolin for the money.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    Welcome back, David. Jim Garber gave you good advice, including the recommendation of
    Big Muddy mandolins made by Mike Dulak. I own his violin scale rosewood model and it is a nice mandolin for the money.
    It looks like it will be a Gibson. I won't see it until next week. Don't know if it will come with a case. I know I will appreciate it more than any other instrument I have owned.
    Giving up on the mandolin was a big mistake.
    David Herman

Quote Originally Posted by domradave View Post
    It looks like it will be a Gibson. I won't see it until next week. Don't know if it will come with a case. I know I will appreciate it more than any other instrument I have owned.
    Giving up on the mandolin was a big mistake.
    Got the Gibson today, for $100! It is beat up but it plays. Also with a case, that is beat up.
    I have already played a Wohlfahrt etude on it and it feels o.k.
    David Herman

Good for you, Dave. Congratulations and best wishes with your new mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Good for you, Dave. Congratulations and best wishes with your new mandolin.
    Thanks! Just played at the Italian Festival at Hofstra University on Long Island. Great crowd!
    David Herman

Sounds like a pretty good price if all that is amiss is the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good price if all that is amiss is the finish.
    It had been crushed but it was glued back together. It would cost a fortune to restore it but it sounds o.k.
    David Herman

Whatever is the case, it is wonderful that you are playing again!
    Glad for you too on the Gibson. I hope it serves you very well.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!