Thread: Best DVD Lessons? Or just YouTube?

Default Best DVD Lessons? Or just YouTube?

Hi. I was wondering if there was a good DVD lesson system for intermediates or should I just cruise Youtube? And if YT, any suggestions?

Default Re: Best DVD Lessons? Or just YouTube?

Lots of folks (including me) will recommend Mike Marshall's Academy of Bluegrass. Amazing resource.

OP. I think this would get much greater response if asked on the mainstream "General" part of the forum. It would also be appropriate there.

+1 for Mike Marshall's Academy of Bluegrass online.

BTW, I don't think it matters which forum you're in. Like a lot of people, I just log in and hit "New Posts."

If you don't want to plunk down for the Academy, Mike Marshall's two Homespun videos (first one is technique, second one is chord theory) are my favorites, just tons of useful information without fluff.

I have been working through Mike's DVD on Arpeggios and its wonderful. I have to hit the pause button several times because he works through the material pretty fast. But I can't say enough good about Mike as a teacher and of course he is an outstanding musician. If I were you, I would go the DVD route and of course the online courses with Mike if you can swing it. I am still debating the online courses, I just don't know if I am ready to commit to practice that much!

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    Hi. I was wondering if there was a good DVD lesson system for intermediates or should I just cruise Youtube? And if YT, any suggestions?
    There are tons of different resourses out there .... what genre of music are you interested in?
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

I've also had a great experience with Mike Marshall's Academy of Bluegrass online course. Highly recommended.

Mike Marshall's Academy of Bluegrass is probably the best

I have used video disks for lessons and of course watching You tube. I have learned a lot. But I do regret not having someone much more experienced than myself observing and being critical of my playing,,,, I might, or might not, take advice given, but would like the comments of someone more experienced and professional than myself. The video lessons offered by several fine players do offer some personal observation, criticism and suggestions.