Thread: Vintage Gibson A4 tuner need

Default Vintage Gibson A4 tuner need

I "unearthed" this 1916 A4 from an elderly widow lady that had it under a bed for the past 40 years. Trying to get it back into decent playing condition and need a peg screw for one of the tuners machines (see attached photo). Not sure of the maker of the tuners, but have seen other posts with similar vintage Gibson's referring to them as Handel with fancy knobs. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement screw or something close it would be appreciated. It is a very small screw and I have not been able to find anything locally. I would be willing to buy an old unit if necessary to salvage a part.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson A4 tuner.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	123079

Default Re: Vintage Gibson A4 tuner need

First things first. Thoroughly search the inside of the case (I assume it has a case). I've found "missing" tuner parts more than once by simply searching the case.

If you have access to an old repair shop or music store (that hasn't been driven out of business by the Big Box and on-line sales) that has had a repair department for a long time, they will probably have a "tuner graveyard", and with luck, a matching screw might be found. Failing a perfect match, something that fits but looks different is a little more probable. That is your best bet. Finding something new with the right threats and the right head shape could prove to be difficult, and finding something new that matches, nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    First things first. Thoroughly search the inside of the case (I assume it has a case). I've found "missing" tuner parts more than once by simply searching the case.

If you have access to an old repair shop or music store (that hasn't been driven out of business by the Big Box and on-line sales) that has had a repair department for a long time, they will probably have a "tuner graveyard", and with luck, a matching screw might be found. Failing a perfect match, something that fits but looks different is a little more probable. That is your best bet. Finding something new with the right threats and the right head shape could prove to be difficult, and finding something new that matches, nearly impossible.
    Thanks Sunburst, I hit the local "boneyard" already with no success. I will keep searching around different shops in the area. I am close to Nashville so maybe I can check a few shops next time I am there or maybe something will pop up on eBay that I can purchase and salvage.

If you know anyone with access to the repair guys at Gruhn's, I'll bet they have a matching screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    I would be willing to buy an old unit if necessary to salvage a part.
    I believe these were made by the old Waverly Company. Some of the luthiers here might have a clue as to the specs of the screw that goes there. BTW a set of Handel tuners in good functioning condition are prob somewhere from $400-600 dollars. Then again you prob don't need the Handel buttons but hopefully can find a decent set of other tuners that would have the screws that work.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Those post screws size 4-36 X 3/16". They are hard to find but I found some new "old stock" in a parts warehouse. I can spare one if you need it, just send me a PM.
    Gail Hester

Would these work? They are the size given by Gail Hester above. http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/0177082

I think the "thread side" of the head is too massive, memory seems to tell me they are tapered, not so square. I may be mistaken.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

More like these .
    Bill Snyder

Stand back if you decide to buy an old unit to salvage. Those are Handel tuners. Send a PM to Gail.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That's the shape Bill! At least I think so.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Ya just need a screw. PM Gail.

Aw, c'mon Jeff! We can keep this going for at least a week!
    But, yeah, Gail's got one she's willing to part with.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Thanks to all, Gail to the rescue.