Thread: Boo and Yay for Eastman Strings

Default Boo and Yay for Eastman Strings

I've owned an Eastman MDC-805 mandocello for six years or so; opened the case in March and found the tailpiece had snapped at the hinge. Took it back to the dealer (Stutzman's) to get a replacement, and Dave contacted the US Eastman rep. Gather this has happened to other Eastman 'cello owners, and Eastman has redesigned a hinge-less tailpiece.

Well, Dave contacted Eastman, and ordered one of the new tailpieces. "None in stock, maybe six weeks" was the answer. Checked periodically, nothing happening. Eastman rep came to Rochester in June for a visit to Bernunzio's, and I buttonholed him and asked what the prospects were of getting a new tailpiece.

Well, a shipment supposedly "on the boat" and should be there in two weeks; tailpiece would be sent to Stutzman's ASAP. Another six weeks go by, and nothing. Dave gives me the "800" number for Eastman's US office, and I call, get the same Eastman rep. He goes through the box of tailpieces that arrived (apparently the replacement tailpiece has no parts number, so doesn't show up on inventory). All kinds of tailpieces -- six-strings, seven-strings, etc. -- but no mandocellos.

This is getting pretty frustrating, but the Eastman rep steps up: there were maybe six MCD-805 instruments in the shipment, they were inspected, and one was classified "B-stock" (finish defect, I guess, anyway something minor). So Eastman will cannibalize the B-stock instrument, and send the tailpiece to Stutzman's.

Interestingly, the Eastman rep said that they sell very few mandocellos in the US -- he estimated a half-dozen annually -- so parts production for them is quite limited. I'm really hoping that this is the solution, since it's verging on six months since I started trying to get the replacement tailpiece. I like my MDC-805, and though I only play 'cello a few times a year, I was getting majorly frustrated awaiting the part.

So jeers, then cheers for Eastman Strings. Hope that the mandocello's back in business real soon.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Boo and Yay for Eastman Strings

That's frustrating. Hope they get you squared away soon. Certainly a problem for a super niche instrument for them.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Tried posting this earlier, but do not see it showing up. A few months ago when I was on the hunt for an 805, there were few to be found. One big dealer ( do no remember who) told me he had five on backorder and it was a long wait. If what the E-man rep said is, correct,then that would almost half of what they claim to sell in the U.S., or the dealer was jivin' me. I have seen signs on the 'net there may be more showing up. I feel they are a good value. Would love a Weber F, but out of my price range. My local dealer tells me Weber is instituting a sizable price increase . I called Eastman about a replacement tailpiece and was told they were on order and my name would be placed on a waiting list. Still nothing. Three months. I offered to pay, just to have an extra in case. So far no problem. I feel the looks of the tailpiece add some mojo. I would be interested to know just how.many members here have an 804, or 805.

The new tailpiece apparently has the same ebony overlay, but not a hinge where the hardware angles between the side of the instrument and the top.

The Eastman rep said there were perhaps six MDC-805's in the shipment he received. Dave at Stutzman's got one, and sold it to a customer who'd been waiting for one for months. The Eastman rep said that only a few get sold in the US every year, as compared to the Eastman arch-top guitars which move quickly. On the other hand, one reason few mandocellos (mandocelli?) get sold, is that very few get shipped from China. Chicken-and-egg situation. If there were more of 'em hanging on dealers' racks, betcha more would get purchased.

I like mine, and I really like Eastman instruments (own four now), but the MDC-805 seems to be a bit of an "orphan" in the Eastman family. Definitely they sell many more mandolins, guitars, and now ukuleles, than they'll ever sell mandocellos, but my perspective is that if you decided to build a model and list it in your catalog, you should make a reasonable number available for purchase. If it's uneconomic, then drop the model.

Eagerly awaiting arrival of the replacement tailpiece -- will let people know when and if...
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The Eastman rep said that only a few get sold in the US every year, as compared to the Eastman arch-top guitars which move quickly. On the other hand, one reason few mandocellos (mandocelli?) get sold, is that very few get shipped from China. Chicken-and-egg situation. If there were more of 'em hanging on dealers' racks, betcha more would get purchased.
    <snip>
    If it's uneconomic, then drop the model.
    I dunno, Allen... do you really think there are a bunch (even 6) mandocellists or budding ones, champing at the bit for an instrument? And do you think there are stores who would actually order them as stock unless they had standing orders for them? Also, I doubt that Eastman drop the model if someone somewhere is buying them. They say they sell very few in the US but I assume that they do sell some in other parts of the world. OTOH I bet these are still not super-sellers even elsewhere.

Many years ago I was searching like crazy for a decent hardshell bowlback case. I saw photos of the Eastman one on an Asian site and posted about it here. At the time there was an Eastman rep who posted here in these forums pretty often. Enough of us made it clear that we were interested and eventually they did show up here and a number of dealers started carrying them. We were just lucky, I guess.

Good luck on your mandocello. I have a feeling that extreme patience is needed here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...do you really think there are a bunch (even 6) mandocellists or budding ones, champing at the bit for an instrument?
    All I know is that both Stutzman and Bernunzio have had buyers interested in MDC-805 mandocellos, and these buyers have had to wait months until more of them came in from China. My guess is that mandolinists browsing the racks in dealerships that carry a selection of mandolins, might well pick up a mandocello (if there were one in the store), and get interested. But that cannot happen if there aren't any available to try.

And do you think there are stores who would actually order them as stock unless they had standing orders for them?
    Well, dealers order Eastman guitars and mandolins for which they don't have pre-orders. Now, those are different, of course; dealers know that there are potential guitar and mandolin buyers out there, not so sure about potential mandocellists. But Bernunzio (whose store, as you know, is located a couple blocks from the Eastman School of Music [no connection with Eastman Strings, odd coincidence though]) must have nine or ten Eastman arch-top guitars hanging on his wall. Betcha dollars to doughnuts (I love doughnuts!) that he'd order a MDC-805 "on spec," and hope to interest one of the arch-top or mandolin buyers that come into his store.

They say they sell very few in the US but I assume that they do sell some in other parts of the world. OTOH I bet these are still not super-sellers even elsewhere.
    Wholeheartedly agree with the latter part of the statement, but feel that if Eastman's selling mandocellos anywhere, it's in the US. From what I gather, hard to find Eastman instruments anywhere else; they're focused on exports to America. Eastman's efforts to expand their product line show this. Frailing-style Vega clone banjos, ukuleles, steel-string arch-top and flat-top guitars -- all aimed at the American market, far as I can see. Of course musicians in other countries play these types of instruments, but the big bucks are in selling to US.

...I have a feeling that extreme patience is needed here.
    Been there, done that. Five months is "extreme" enough for me. I went directly to Eastman via their "800" number, and, let's hope, got them to do something unusual -- cannibalize a new, though "B-stock" MDC-805 to get me my tailpiece. Now, I'll really believe it when it shows up -- but the Eastman rep called Dave Stutzman and told him that the part would be on its way.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Update: tailpiece showed up at Stutzman's yesterday, and the MDC-805 is up getting repaired as I write.

Dave did express a bit of frustration, that dealers who order from manufacturers and distributors all the time, get strung along and put off on back orders etc. for months. Then the "end user" purchaser contacts the manufacturer or distributor, and gets prompt service -- in my case, unusual service, involving de-tailpiecing an in-stock mandocello and sending out the part.

I see Dave's point, but heck, I'll take what I can get. I've bought instruments from Dave Stutzman and his late dad Eldon before that, for nearly 50 years. I rate them at the top, and feel really lucky to live near two great and ethical dealers, Dave Stutzman and John Bernunzio. Rochester may have its faults, but it's a great town for stringed instrument lovers, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

10. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Makes me wonder, if I'll ever see my backup tailpiece, even if I pay for one. Does anyone know of anyone that makes tailpieces for archtops that might make some for mandocello ? Also a mention for the House of Guitars in Rochester, if you don't mind being a little cramped for space.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandomonte View Post
    Makes me wonder, if I'll ever see my backup tailpiece, even if I pay for one.
    The Eastman rep said that he went through the whole shipment of tailpieces that came in from China, and no mandocello parts were included; six-string, seven-string guitar tailpieces, mandolin tailpieces, but no 'cello. If he hadn't been willing to pull one off the "B-stock" MDC-805 I wouldn't have one on my instrument today. (Which I do; Thanx, Dave Stutzman -- who didn't charge me for the replacement, just for a couple strings that broke during the process).

Oh, Dave also said he had to do some "slot enlargement" on the 4th and 5th courses, so that the tailpiece would accommodate the wound strings. So even the replacement isn't perfect, I guess.

Does anyone know of anyone that makes tailpieces for archtops that might make some for mandocello ?
    I'd start by looking at builders of custom arch-top guitars. Many of them, however, don't make their own tailpieces, but buy stock ones from firms like Stewart-McDonald or Elderly that have a decent selection. Eastman contracts with a Chinese factory to build their tailpieces, apparently. I'd say your best bet is still pestering Eastman; at some point some tailpieces will have to show up in the US, I'd guess.

Also a mention for the House of Guitars in Rochester, if you don't mind being a little cramped for space.
    Don't get me started on Armand Schaubroeck & Co.; great place to buy CD's and T-shirts, but a bit dodgy on higher-end and vintage instruments, especially "non-guitars," at least in my experience. My dealings with HOG have definitely been "mixed," though not all negative.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Contacted Randy Allen Guitars and suppliers: his manufactured timepieces for archtops. He says his RD1 model has been used for manocello. These are great looking and seem reasonable for what they look like. He says, the screenshots need to be modified (?). I sent him another message asking about six strings verses eight, but have not heard back. As I have said before, I love the look of the stock tailpiece but who knows, if you are faced with along layup on your 'cello. I also found a few sites with ebony ones.

Auto correct ! Screw holes.