Thread: Mountain Arts Center - Southeast Kentucky

Default Mountain Arts Center - Southeast Kentucky

Friday nights during the summer at the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg, KY. http://macarts.com/event/front-porch-pickin-13/

From the name of the event - "Front Porch Pickin" I expected something completely different but I have really enjoyed playing in the MAC this summer. I was thinking that this would have been a small circle of pickers and a few casual onlookers. I was expecting something very informal and bluegrass/gospel based. When I showed up at the first one of these this summer (also my first time ever going to the Mountain Arts Center) I could tell that I was way off with in my expectations. The parking lot was absolutely packed with cars, musicians where everywhere carrying in cases and the music was taking place live and unrehearsed in front of a near capacity crowd on the main stage of the MAC.

There is quite a bit of gospel, bluegrass and old time picking/fiddling, but there is also every other style that anybody wants to sing or play. It is basically an open mic with a lot of mics and a "house band" (piano/guitar/ bass) to hold things together. At the beginning of each "show" the director, Keith Caudill, will get things started with an intro and maybe a tune. He always says something to the effect that there are no rules except for the rule about No Reheasals. There are seats for all of the performers who take turns. I normally will alternate with other mando players taking turns backing up songs. It is a very relaxed environment once getting past the fact that around 1000 people are watching.

Anyway, this is a great time and I have learned a lot playing here this summer. If you are in southeastern Kentucky this Friday you should stop by and listen, play or sing. Look for me.

KY Slim

Here is a video from 2011. This pretty much paints the picture of what goes on at Front Porch Pickin' at the MAC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SJz8LBdIO0

Last edited by Ky Slim; Aug-19-2014 at 2:46pm.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mountain Arts Center - Southeast Kentucky