Thread: j bovier a5

Default j bovier a5

Looks like it's time to upgrade again. Finally ready to buy a high quality instrument that I will keep around. I'll mostly be playing old time and bluegrass. I'm looking at a J Bovier a5 Special and Kentuckys in that range. What are anyone's thoughts on those or any other a styles in the $800 - $1000 range. Right now I'm leaning hard toward the J Bovier.

Default Re: j bovier a5

Can't speak to the Kentucky, but as for a J. Bovier, beautiful instrument, with personal service throughout the process of ordering.
    Gary F.
    Virginia
    J. Bovier F5-T
    Fender FM-53S

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

The A5T at The Mando Shop is $469 http://www.themandoshop.com/pages-jb...-BG-11416.html

That's a steal, and if I was in your shoes I'd jump on that!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Yeah I've been eyeballing that a5T all day. Think I'm gonna jump on it soon.

Or not looks like it just sold.

Blog Entries

Rather biased I am, but Jbovier rules and has served me well and was a wonderful upgrade from my Crafter beater. Of course the crafter beater still has a special place in my heart, but my Jbovier goes to all the fancy places.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

I don't think there's anything under $800 that comes close to the JBovier A5 (Special or Tradition). The only Kentucky A model as good is the KM900 and that is a bit more than $800. The Loar has the LM700 but that is twice the price. I don't think Eastman makes anything as nice as the JB's. I have a friend who is a JB dealer and so I've had the chance to play several new JB's and they are consistently outstanding. My A5 Special has been truly a great mandolin to play and after a year and a half I'm still amazed at how good it sounds and how easily it plays.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

8. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I moved from a low end Kentucky to a Kentucky km-950......awesome mandolin. I bought from the mandolin store and the experience with them was awesome; great people.

Can't speak for the Jbovier, but if you look at guitar center's website in the used mandolin section, there is one for $329.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest contacting Kyle at the MandoShop regarding when he expects to have more of the A5T's. (Although I gotta admit, if he'd had that black-top when I ordered, I might have gone that way. Looks nice). They really are worth waiting a bit for. I've been nothing but pleased with mine in the 3 months I've had it.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

I know two people who are delighted with their JBovier A5s. At their price bracket, they do seem hard to beat.

I talked to Kyle at MandoShop Tuesday. I asked for more pictures and got another email later telling me it sold. He said they're expecting more soon, I'm just waiting for an email from him. I was also considering the Eastman 605, mostly for the built in pickup though. Could get a fiberglass case and external pickup, if it becomes necessary later, for less than the 605. I wish they were still making the Boviers in the solid dark brown that I've seen in a few pictures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J-A5-AC-S-11030029-599-001.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	122955

I have a really nice example of a A5T that is for sale. I sent you a PM.