Thread: What's not quite right with this Gibson model A?

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Default What's not quite right with this Gibson model A?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-mando...item19f23497f0

Is the off centered silkscreen Gibson logo on the headstock something someone just stuck on there? He says "please message me", so I did but he can't read the model or serial number, so it can't be dated accurately. Might be a nice player. If the logo is a waterslide how hard would it be to remove?

Default Re: What's not quite right with this Gibson model A?

The whole neck was replaced at gibson sometime maybe in the 50s.. and it appears to be installed a bit off-center on the bass side
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Was Gibson that sloppy in the 1950's? Nasty!
    Just noticed the F model case.

Blog Entries

Gibson was pretty sloppy in the 30's. Just look at all the inlay examples from this period! Ya want to talk off centered. I've seen loads of and have a few examples and by far the depression era "my favorite Gibsons" has the "crudest" inlays, the example shown is, silk screened I think?

Danb, When you say, "it appears to be installed a bit off-center on the bass side", are you talking about the neck & not just the Gibson logo? I have blown up the pictures and my computer doesn't show this... then again I don't have the best computer. Does anyone else see this? Also, as a player, what is this worth?

Just the logo. The neck itself isn't off center as far as I can see. The back was likely refinished at the same time the neck was worked on.

It is an A or A1 from between 1918 and 1923 (1922 or '23 if the bridge is original, but one can't tell from these photos). If it plays well and sounds good, it's easily worth the starting bid -- and hey, it has a built-in pickup! You're not going to get anything better for $500. No collector value, but worth having as a player. I would hesitate to pay the Buy It Now price, but would not be at all ashamed to drop the 5 C's.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    The whole neck was replaced at gibson sometime maybe in the 50s.. and it appears to be installed a bit off-center on the bass side
    Why assume that the neck was replaced? Peghead shape is correct for teens and early 20's. 50's Gibson peghead shape is completely different. Tuners are original to the instrument. 50's Gibson tuners (Kluson Deluxe) look different. Looks like bar frets, but hard to tell from the small pics. MY GUESS, is that since most of these A's had no peghead logo, only a label inside, the owner probably wanted a peghead logo and added one (poorly). I believe the neck is original to the instrument. May have had other work, but largely original IMHO, although unexciting. Then again, depending on price, might be a sweet ride!

9. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Well, we can say for sure that the back of the neck has a '50s-style sunburst finish and the headstock logo is post-1948. Seems odd to refinish just the neck (and possibly the back) and leave the top alone.

The tuners and fretboard are correct for the '20s, however. If this is a neck replacement it was carefully done.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Maybe the neck wasn't replaced, maybe the back of the neck was painted to hide a crack or repair. The fact that there isn't a bid at $500 makes it suspect. Still, it might be a good player for $500

Doesn't look like a whole neck replacement to my eye. Someone just flubbed the logo, and I bet it wasn't Gibson. Back of the neck looks like it just has play wear, but not refinished. Everything else looks correct for a late teens/early 20s A in Sheraton Brown.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

The back of the necks of all the Model A's I have seen have a see through finish that show the grain. See Photo. Perhaps Gibson did this finish & I have just not run across it. Who is the most knowledgeable Model A expert on this site?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	model a.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	122951  

Here is the one in question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	122952  

Well, less than 6 hours to go, and no bids--we'll have to wait and see what happens. Lack of bidding might be due to mediocre photos and lack of description. Interesting detective work here on the forum. Of course, most anything can happen in the "life" of a 100 year old instrument. It would be nice to examine the instrument in person, but we can only go by the photos in the ad. Sometimes, I think poor photos and vague descriptions are actually strategies used by some sellers on eBay to create interest. We'll see if it works.....

I suspect that Gibson may have involved with that neck and headstock decal. I had a 30's F model that was handled in a similar manner and that was a known Gibson factory "repair" update.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It ended up selling for $554. Seems like a pretty fair deal. Anybody here get it?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Wish i got it one day i will have an old gibson
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6