Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My worst ever MAS attack yesterday

Default My worst ever MAS attack yesterday

It started when I got to play my teachers F5L a while ago. Right then I put it on my
    bucket list. I been cruising Ebay and the classified.

Yesterday it hit me and knocked me senseless. There were 8 Gibson F5s on ebay and 3+ here. I have a little stash of cash but not quite enough, because as usual, I start looking at something sensible for me and quickly escalate.

I'm amazed how MAS can make you so crazy. I was acting like one of Robin William's routines when he was running back and forth talking in many voices ( I miss him).

Well I survived without doing anything stupid, like selling my car.

So help me with some suggestions for a Good used Gibson F5L for my bucket list. I'm for asking help. With the signature confusion I have. Budget 4-6K. I want something used, that will hold it's value for my sons. Not an investment just not a loss

Thanks

Oh yeah, it has to say "The Gibson" on the head.
    Giving this another try.

2. The following members say thank you to Lou Giordano for this post:

Default Re: My worst ever MAS attack yesterday

Isn't that what Visa cards are for?
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

what is the difference between the F5G and F5L?

this one though not the L model, could be trusted
    http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9925

i personally would keep watch here in the classifieds or have TMS keep you on speed dial in case of a trade in-ebay deals scare me-the box of chocolates(never know what you are getting).

you might check MusicOutlet in Sevierville, Tn. They had a couple higher end Gibsons a few weeks back-all new though.
    a couple other places to keep in mind-although the price will be current value i'm sure:

carter vintage(nashville)
    Fiddle n Fret(asheville NC)
    Mass Street music(great folks)
    Trinity Music(small shop but well trusted)
    gruhns
    cotten music
    pick N grin in nashville

good luck
    d

6. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Blog Entries

Any Gibson F-5 will hold value if not go up. I'd save a bit more and get a MM. Just decide what era ya want. Play a few if possible cause they all are a bit different in ways. I'd go for one of the Derrington-Roberts-Harvey F-5's! I believe ya can't go wrong! And MAS will drive one knuts!

8. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I think used Sam Bush F5's are the best bang for the buck you can get right now. They usually go for about $5K - they cost $10K retail... I've never played one I didn't think was great...

10. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denman John View Post
    Isn't that what Visa cards are for?
    I have a few of those, no balance either. That's what scares me.
    Giving this another try.

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    what is the difference between the F5G and F5L?

this one though not the L model, could be trusted
    http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9925

i personally would keep watch here in the classifieds or have TMS keep you on speed dial in case of a trade in-ebay deals scare me-the box of chocolates(never know what you are getting).

you might check MusicOutlet in Sevierville, Tn. They had a couple higher end Gibsons a few weeks back-all new though.
    a couple other places to keep in mind-although the price will be current value i'm sure:

carter vintage(nashville)
    Fiddle n Fret(asheville NC)
    Mass Street music(great folks)
    Trinity Music(small shop but well trusted)
    gruhns
    cotten music
    pick N grin in nashville

good luck
    d

Looks like you have been having a little MAS yourself

The G does not have a back binding, not for my bucket list..

A lot of them on ebay seem to have something between the lines that makes my hair stand up. Like "this is a .... but" .

OK, What is TMS?
    Giving this another try.

Having read a number of these discussions/threads I would suggest a number of alternatives. The first is to take a second job, work through the nights for eight months (minimum) so that you have enough unseen cash that the wife doesn't suspect a second hand instrument coud possibly have cost so much. This option may leave you too tired to play in the day so I wouldn't personally go for this.
    The second most popular option seems to be just saving up your pennies and being patient. Do you have this kind of willpower? If not, we'll have to move on to more realistic options.
    There are a number of ways you can obtain a decent mandolin but you're going to have to hold your nerve and maybe jetison any sense of moral framework. Do you have a decent set of kidneys and no family history? If so a trip to India might be expedient. What about your kids? Two kidneys always seems unnecessary in the young. You might consider befriending an aging wealthy neighbour who looks a bit peeky and hope they include you in the will. Do you have any pets? You might train them to perform entertainign tricks and take to the road - but be careful, dogs and cats can be notoriousy unfaithful.
    Other than that you might practice hard on what you aready have and enjoy the mandolin the universe has given you. Not exciting but your fingers will make it work.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bailey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Any Gibson F-5 will hold value if not go up. I'd save a bit more and get a MM. Just decide what era ya want. Play a few if possible cause they all are a bit different in ways. I'd go for one of the Derrington-Roberts-Harvey F-5's! I believe ya can't go wrong! And MAS will drive one knuts!
    The weird thing about MMs is there are some ferns out there that have MM on the label, but they are not the 16K MMs there is one on the bay now. The 16K MM has Varnish,, flower pot and one piece red spruce tops. The one on ebay now seems to be a fern with the MM on the label.

From all that I read I am wanting one of Derrington-Roberts-Harvey F5L Ferns. I don't see myself ever having the cash for a real MM.
    Giving this another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I think used Sam Bush F5's are the best bang for the buck you can get right now. They usually go for about $5K - they cost $10K retail... I've never played one I didn't think was great...
    I did not realize that thanks.
    Giving this another try.

Lou, when you say "signature confusion" are you referring to who signed the label? The reason I ask is because, after a look in the classifieds, I see one F5-L signed by Bruce Weber and one signed by Danny Roberts. The Danny Roberts asking price is a little bit more but both are in your stated price range. They both look like nice mandolins, good luck with your MAS and let us know what you decide on in the in the long run.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

18. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Bailey View Post
    Having read a number of these discussions/threads I would suggest a number of alternatives. The first is to take a second job, work through the nights for eight months (minimum) so that you have enough unseen cash that the wife doesn't suspect a second hand instrument coud possibly have cost so much. This option may leave you too tired to play in the day so I wouldn't personally go for this.
    The second most popular option seems to be just saving up your pennies and being patient. Do you have this kind of willpower? If not, we'll have to move on to more realistic options.
    There are a number of ways you can obtain a decent mandolin but you're going to have to hold your nerve and maybe jetison any sense of moral framework. Do you have a decent set of kidneys and no family history? If so a trip to India might be expedient. What about your kids? Two kidneys always seems unnecessary in the young. You might consider befriending an aging wealthy neighbour who looks a bit peeky and hope they include you in the will. Do you have any pets? You might train them to perform entertainign tricks and take to the road - but be careful, dogs and cats can be notoriousy unfaithful.
    Other than that you might practice hard on what you aready have and enjoy the mandolin the universe has given you. Not exciting but your fingers will make it work.
    That's funny.

Good news, no wife and two kidneys, Her lawyer over looked the kidneys

Bad news I'm retired whatever I spend is gone.
    Giving this another try.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou Giordano For This Useful Post:

There is a 1990 Gibson F5-L at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA, around 5K I think. Info and pictures at Gryphon's website.
    John A. Karsemeyer

22. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

Well I am no expert on Gibson F5-L mandolins but this looks pretty sweet......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78686

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

24. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Lou, when you say "signature confusion" are you referring to who signed the label? The reason I ask is because, after a look in the classifieds, I see one F5-L signed by Bruce Weber and one signed by Danny Roberts. The Danny Roberts asking price is a little bit more but both are in your stated price range. They both look like nice mandolins, good luck with your MAS and let us know what you decide on in the in the long run.
    Yes the impact of the signatures on perceived value. It looks like Charlie, Dave, and Danny are the ones .

Thanks
    Giving this another try.

26. The following members say thank you to Lou Giordano for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Well I am no expert on Gibson F5-L mandolins but this looks pretty sweet......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78686

NFI
    Yes it looks sweet but I don't know about the Weber signature. Is it going to sound like a Gibson of a Weber?
    Giving this another try.

The F5-L at Gryphon Stringed Instruments is Montana made, signed by Steve Carlson, who was "The Man" at Gibson Mandolins for a number of years. There are threads on the Café regarding Steve and the quality of mandos signed by him, FYI.
    John A. Karsemeyer

29. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

It's in my range. I don't know anything about Steve . I'll check
    Giving this another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Giordano View Post

Looks like you have been having a little MAS yourself

The G does not have a back binding, not for my bucket list..

A lot of them on ebay seem to have something between the lines that makes my hair stand up. Like "this is a .... but" .

OK, What is TMS?
    TMS(themandolinstore). Dennis and Brian have a high reputation for providing well setup and fair priced instruments(i'm sure you know that by hanging out here). When i had a specific desire for a used Weber, i talked with Dennis and Brian, and within 3 weeks they found a perfect fit for my needs-with a very fair price. The setup is wonderful and it plays great.

MusicOutlet did have a MM model, not sure of anything about it as it was not what i was looking for-they had a nice set of Gibsons-not sure about the L model.(this store sells only new, and quite honestly does not provide the setup care of an instrument like a couple of the other shops mentioned-pretty much you get it how it left the factory/shop).
    Check SmokeyMountainGuitars in Pigeon Forge, Tn(about 12 miles from MusicOutlet). He takes trades and might have some Gibsons.

good luck
    d

There was a used Sam Bush at FiddlersGreen(i think on consignment)$5500 range.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    The F5-L at Gryphon Stringed Instruments is Montana made, signed by Steve Carlson, who was "The Man" at Gibson Mandolins for a number of years. There are threads on the Café regarding Steve and the quality of mandos signed by him, FYI.
    and Gryphon has a very good reputation for providing well setup instruments. that means a lot.
    d

I can't find any info about the workmanship of the Gibson during Steve Carlson's time. I only found a comment about him being there during Gibson's "Renaissance" Are they up to the level of the current guys ?
    Giving this another try.

lou, while there are greater 'experts' than I around here tenfold,

I have a Roberts 02 F5 fern. the specs changed significantly, for the better as I understand, once derrington was in charge. That being said, typically an F5 (L) (fern) will have the master model label, but it isn't The Master Model costing 3x as much. MM have red spruce tops as well, and this is imho, a better top wood, but, Sitka , as used on ferns, is still very nice.

I agree about the Sam Bush version being great values. These and, frankly a fairly priced fern (that is an F5L with fern and triburst finish, should be in your range. The Harveys are reputed to be the best, but, they are also significantly higher in price, due to scarcity and the sellers ability to command a higher price. I cannot comment on value. often, small improvements in sound and or details cost dearly.

I think you should get a good feel for market values, be careful about fret wear (a pricey repair) and overall condition.

There is something I think you should know. All will say play first, if you can. I live in Denver, and had a hell of a time finding upper end mandos, no less at a competitive price. Sometimes you need to take your best guess, and if you can, rely on a reputable dealers guidance. Another thing, and you cannot help this, is that dialing in a discerning mandolin ear takes time.

I have a discerning guitar ear, and it wasn't the same because I had not as much time and experience on mandolins. You may have to pay your nickel and take your chances. A Gibson, I agree, is money in the bank regarding resale. So are Collings, but, they have a different sound, and its not a one is better IMHO. Collings, however, are really really consistent FWIW.

I would buy from a reputable dealer with a no issues return policy, ie you pay shipping both ways if you are unhappy. To me, that aint ebay. There are exceptions im sure.

F5L (ferns-ie the headstock inlay pattern as opposed to the flowerpot with torch) comes with a square TKL case stock, typically a burgundy colored lining with matching velour and sateen shroud (the blanket that lays over the mando).

fwiw, I bought my fern, sight unseen, from an NYC dealer. It kept me very happy for 5 years, when I decided it was time for more.
    I bit the bullet, due to a stupidly low price. I was glad it did.

I buy based on the model/year/ and most importantly condition. I agree Roberts Harvey Derrington will do you well. I buy used.

When, exactly was the Derrington era and the spec revisions you ask? I believe 1998, and certainly specs changed by 1999 as I recall. Derrington closely copied the Lloyd Loar specs, including neck joint, top grading, braces etc.

Varnish is nice but takes a bit more care and is more delicate, and unforgiving. I have 2 with varnish, and while they are great, I love the resistance of nitro (laquer). A very few ferns had red spruce and varnish. they are the rarity.

I suggest that you make yourself happy sooner rather than later. when I got my fern, it was a huge inspiration. I took lessons. I stringly recommend this.

I played briefly in a folk rock band, then started a BG band, and play jazz/swing with friends too. It will make your life better by being able to play with others, and, it wont take that long to get there with daily practice and LESSONS. You will have joy and pride in your gibby.

the mando road is calling out to you Lou!

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevedenver For This Useful Post:

Thanks Steve.

I believe you are correct. I'm 64, so I only have about 30-40 years left to learn the mandolin. I need to get busy.
    Giving this another try.

38. The following members say thank you to Lou Giordano for this post:

Steve nailed it on all counts.

I just got a great mando. A Harvey F5G. And although I liked it fine right off the bat, it took me several days before I got a hint of what I really had. At 2 weeks now I'm still amazed. It takes some time. Anyway, I dont think you can go wrong with the one for sale used at The MAndolin Store. I would have bought it if mine didn't come up on the classifieds. Just ask them to be honest regarding how good it is. I would think being on consignment it might could go for close to 4k. Its about the same as mine but is bound on back whereas mine is not bound on the back. Otherwise I think the specs are the same. If its got tone like mine, and you are looking for that type Gibson tone, then I think its worth it.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

40. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well Lou ....... I play a Carlson signed F5L ..... the fit finish and tone are excellent..... I wore the frets off of it .... The reason you don't see many of them for sale is that the folk that own them are keeping them. Flatiron mandolins from the Carlson period are excellent also and hold their value, though they have a different tone than the Gibson models. Read a discussion of X versus tone bar bracing. Gibson has made a large number of excellent mandolins over the years. You need to play as many of them as you can get your hands on. Go to stores and festivals and workshops and play any that you can get passed to you. They are all slightly different but by in large hold their value well in the used category..... Luck.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

42. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post: