Thread: Improvising Out of a Chop Chords

Default Improvising Out of a Chop Chords

There is a nice little section out of the "Play Like a Legend-Bill Monroe" book that explains how Bill would improvise solos out of chop chord shapes. Started working on this yesterday morning, then I went to a Wayne Benson Mandolin workshop later in the day and he talked a little bit about it also. For me, this makes sense and is kind of a light bulb moment. Are there any other good sources (books, etc.) that cover this? I would like to delve into it some more.

Default Re: Improvising Out of a Chop Chords

Time to go crazy for Monroe-style. Watch every Mike Compton video, especially of tunes in G like Paddy on the Turnpike.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

Niles Hokkanen's book "Bluegrass Up the Neck" has a discussion of this technique, among others. Another tune that features it extensively is "Monroe's Hornpipe," in A. The key to making it ripple like Bill did is to change notes on the up-pick.

4. The following members say thank you to Andy B for this post:

Blog Entries

If you look at "Picklosers Guide to Doublestops," at the end, she describes ways of visualizing pentatonic scales from certain doublestops. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I just checked out 'Picklosers Guide' referenced above and it is excellent.
    Highly recommended if you are working on figuring out the different double stop patterns. I wish I found this sooner.
    Google the title and it comes right up.

I agree about pickloser's guide. Some great information there.

This is really just improvising based on arpeggios - by far the best theory resource I can recommend is Jazz Theory by Levine, don't let the Jazz part scare you - like Big Mon demonstrated, these concepts apply to many genres.

Blog Entries

B.A.D., that's not my understanding, but I find this terminology confusing. I thought when people talked about "improvising out of a chord" they really meant using the notes in the scale defined by the chord. If I'm right, "I.O.O.A.C" is related to the scale, and arpeggios are related to the scale, but the two things don't have any direct connection with each other. On the other hand, maybe my understanding is off base, or maybe we're both just "close enough for jazz."
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I've never heard this terminology - if note choice is limited to the notes in a chop chord shape, definitely an arpeggio. If the term means you can play notes not just in the chop chord shape, but also from the scale the chord is constructed from, for instance playing b natural over a C major chop chord shape, I'm familiar with that being called 'playing changes'. I don't know much though.

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    If I'm right, "I.O.O.A.C" is related to the scale, and arpeggios are related to the scale, but the two things don't have any direct connection with each other.
    How can they they not have a direct connection? The arpeggio is made up of 3 notes of the scale. Go to your jazzmando book and find the D scale where you start the scale with the third finger. When you play that scale you are playing out of the D chop chord. Make up a melody out of those notes. You are improvising out of a chop chord.

I see it as a convenience. If your fingers are already in a chord position, it's nice to whip out kick off, tag or whatever without having to move your hand.

Yes, what I am getting at is using the chord position as a home base to solo off of.

Sometimes I like to crosspick the bottom three notes of a chop chord. It works well as a fill or as part of a solo!

Quote Originally Posted by d18daddy View Post
    Yes, what I am getting at is using the chord position as a home base to solo off of.
    see #10
    The "Home" section here is playing out of a C chop chord.
    http://jazzmando.com/FFcP.pdf
    Last edited by Mike Bunting; Aug-16-2014 at 4:36pm.

Thanks for posting pickloser's guide. I have been trying to fully grasp how to manage doublestops and that has been a revelation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    I've never heard this terminology - if note choice is limited to the notes in a chop chord shape, definitely an arpeggio. If the term means you can play notes not just in the chop chord shape, but also from the scale the chord is constructed from, for instance playing b natural over a C major chop chord shape, I'm familiar with that being called 'playing changes'. I don't know much though.
    I think you are over thinking it. I think it means that when you know a certain chop chords fits here in the tune, you automatically have four notes that you know will work for an improve here in the tune. In any order. Its a good place to start.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

They way I was taught this technique, it had nothing to do with arpeggios or doublestops. It just had to do with the shape of a chop chord related to the pentatonic scale. So if you take a G chop, you can play a pentatonic scale without changing position and without your fingers having to cover any different frets. The fingers only have to shift from one string to another. So the G penta would go:

1. Third finger, fifth fret, D string (already in place), G note
    2. Fourth finger, seventh fret, D string (has to move over one string from the chop) A note
    3. First finger, second fred, A string (already in place) B note
    4. Third finger, fifth fret, A string (has to move over one string from the chop), D note
    5. Fourth finger, seventh fret, A string (has to move over one more string), E note

Then of course the G note for the next penta is already covered by the second finger on the E string in the chop and the first two notes of the next penta are just shifting fingers to the E string on frets they are already covering. In a C-type chop, you do have to get the pinky to fill in where it wasn't in use already. You can also do the next higher penta out of a C-type chop with the same principle.

Of course, with some chops there are doublestop "opportunities" and of course you can always embellish with crosspicking arpeggios, but those were not part of the technique the way I learned it.

I don't actually like the technique. I think it worked for Monroe because he was so good and his music relied on chop chords so much. But I only use chops as one tool in my toolkit, so it's something I can't employ consistently. I prefer to know where my scales are independent of my chords. I also think it's a technique that can keep a player focused on "pentatonic tricks" rather than the melody.
    Last edited by John Flynn; Aug-22-2014 at 7:29am.

With the full-force chop chord voicing, your left hand is in place to play a complete major scale, 8 notes, octave to octave, without shifting hand position or using open strings.

G major scale:

D string: 5 (with ring finger), 7 (pinky)
    A string: 2 (index), 3 (middle), 5 (ring), 7 (pinky)
    E string: 2 (index), 3 (middle)

Up and down, keeping fingers down on frets as you ascend. A wonderful exercise to advance fluidity, dexterity and strength.

Alan

Thanks for that. I just noticed my hand was in a pretty good position to play the G scale down to the open G also!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I think you are over thinking it. I think it means that when you know a certain chop chords fits here in the tune, you automatically have four notes that you know will work for an improve here in the tune. In any order. Its a good place to start.
    Sounds like a simple arpeggio then.

Just received Niles Hakkansons Bluegrass up the neck and Andy B is correct. He teaches this subject in detail. Simple arpeggios, yes, but with added coloring scale degrees. Can't wait to dig in.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... The chop chord can be jammed over as single tones or double stops. It can be extended to the pentatonic by adding two tones each a whole step from an arpeggio tone. The dominant seventh can be added by flatting the tonic by a whole tone. And of course you can slide into the third and the fifth tones using the chord form arpeggio......... So there it is 1-2-d3-3-d5-5-6-d7 .....natural 7's are cool in jazz but anathema in grass ......... which brings us back to Doh! I need another sip of coffee..... NH wrote well on the subject ... enjoy the book 1d8 ..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    see #10
    The "Home" section here is playing out of a C chop chord.
    http://jazzmando.com/FFcP.pdf
    It was then, when I realised the similarities of the G-shape chop chord and the 3rd finger FFcP ;-) Just use the chop chord for arpeggios and the FFcP for scale tones without breaking your fingers.... and put in some blue notes to spice things up to taste.

Bauzl

25. The following members say thank you to Toni Schula for this post:

I would third (fourth?) Bluegrass Up The Neck. It explores ways of using a few different shapes in a very sensible way, with attention to what idioms give bluegrass mandolin its sound. One of the ways is to never use words like 'idiom'.