Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKB "A" style mandolin case.

Default Re: SKB "A" style mandolin case.

I've had one of those gathering dust for seveal years Ivan. I acquired it from Trevor when we decided that the case supplied by Will Kimble had somehow become twisted and wouldn't close properly. Kimble #150 (A5 style) tended to slop around in it so I got Keith Calton to make me one which fitted. It is possible to force a '24 snakehead in the TKL but the fit is too tight for my liking.

S'pose I ought to find a mandolin to fit in it!

Hi Ray - One of our uK Cafe members has a Calton,but even he's getting to the point where he told me that he'd prefer a lighter case for his "A" style.My new (to me) Ellis fits the Gator case,but it's a really loose fit. My Lebeda is in the 'one size fits all' TKL & my Weber is in the Gator case. I love the TKL case - it's roomy is a perfect fit but just a tad bulky & heavy for me in these days of lower back pain,hence my search for a good "A" style case. SKB UK still haven't responded to my request for an internal headstock area dimension - maybe if i ask the US 'mother ship' i'll get an answer.As usual,UK suppliers are simply too darned lazy to help out,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That's not untypical of UK suppliers nowadays Ivan. It seems that they're simply interested in turning round widgets and anything which requires the slightest effort they're simply not interested in.

Incidentally, contrary to popular belief, Calton cases aren't particularly heavy. I once took the time to weigh my selection of cases and the results are on the Cafe somewhere - several years back.