Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gibson's 120th Anniversary F5 mandolin

Default Re: Gibson's 120th Anniversary F5 mandolin

Oh, MAN, now it's USED! No longer "mint, unplayed"
    Sounds pretty nice for "brand spankin' new" it will grow up to be a real treasure for someone I am sure, along with its siblings.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Sounds like a winner to me! My monitor screen was vibrating!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by haggardphunk View Post
    Well I like them bling and all and best of all they apparently sound awesome.

One century and two score years ago Gibson started making American mandolins -- what other company can say that?

Great job Mr. David Harvey and all of your crew too!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

I think they're awesome for a limited edition! I won't start saving for one, it's a bit too much pearl for me, but I do think they're nicely done.

I actually like the Gibson on the Florida a lot too and wouldn't mind seeing it on other less over the top models.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jochemgr View Post
    ....I actually like the Gibson on the Florida a lot too and wouldn't mind seeing it on other less over the top models.
    I agree with that and forgot to mention it in my comment. Some in the string have pointed out that they did not favor the placement -- taste is subjective.

OTOH with the "torch and wire" headstock inlay where else could one put the brand name? It provides a good excuse for a factory scoop on the extension!

The other main complaint seems to be the shape of the scroll -- more open less or "tightly coiled". Like others I do prefer the older "traditional" Gibson scroll but I can live with this one.

But also, to my eye at least, the scrolls are more "open" on both of the headstock curlicues too so clearly this was an intentional decision on the part of the factory to tweek the design not a failure to execute as some have suggested?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks Bernie, taste is subjective! As much as I would love to love it en masse, I just find I am entranced by some elements and not so much by others. I find the torch and wire headstock elegantly saying, "Gibson", as it did in the original design. I understand your point about the Florida and it makes some sense. I love how we can all seem to "spin" something we enjoy to glory and something we do not into sows ears!
    The human spirit is pretty funny sometimes.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett