Thread: Beltone electric???

Default Beltone electric???

Here's what appears to be one of those Beltone/BlueBird mandos converted to electric:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/4596927002.html

(I struggle with what to call these. In my experience, the tone ring and extra soundholes don't add much volume, if any. People call them "resonators" but they're not, and more cynical people call them "fake resonators" but they're not really that either ... the tone ring isn't fake, it just doesn't do anything. But I digress.)

What's odd is that this appears to be factory work. That's a very old blade pickup from around the same time this was built. If it were a conversion job you'd expect to see F-holes in the top, and there are none -- but there are screw holes from a now-departed pickguard of the same type an original Beltone would have. I suppose it's conceivable that someone retopped it as part of a conversion job, but if so, whoever it was did a fantastic job of matching the original finish. The painted stars around the ring are right where the extra soundholes would go, with their little screen covers, but one sees no evidence that holes were ever actually drilled in those locations.

The kidney bean tailpiece isn't to spec (most of these have cloud tailpieces), but that's all I can see that looks like it doesn't belong there.

Anyone ever seen something like this before?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Beltone electric???

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    ...Anyone ever seen something like this before?
    Never, and I concur in your analysis; seems originally built as an electric. Mandolins of this design are often seen labeled "Blue Comet" as well as "Beltone." Often their construction is attributed to Regal, but I don't know on what authority. According to this website, Beltone mandolins were distributed by Perlberg & Hapin in NYCity, Blue Comets were sold through Montgomery Ward.

I've not found a Regal electric mandolin with a similar "blade" pickup, but who knows what "one-ofs" may have been created over the years?

So: ya gonna buy it?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Cool. There's an article about these in the current issue of Vintage Guitar, but no mention of an electric version.
    Blow on, man.

It would be nice if the tone and volume knobs were a little closer together. (I assume that's what those are).
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I have never seen a Blue Comet/Beltone/Medalist/Artistic, etc. resonator-like mando-thinger (the technical term) with that accessible back plate (see last photo) or with binding around the inner body top or the fretboard. Here's some pics before the thing disappears. Also, I believe that the std acoustic version has smaller and a greater number of those little grommet holes. Anyway, this makes me lean more to an all-original electric version vs. a conversion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Y0Y_3JJt9rt3Fue_600x450.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	122175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00P0P_3tKVDMfA1JF_600x450.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	122176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00C0C_kjbaME1iIOM_600x450.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	122177  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01111_hmJ9FznqfWQ_600x450.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	122178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00t0t_iWtOMfpSw9e_600x450.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	122179  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Well, maybe I'll go for it after all.

You are correct, the acoustic version of this has 18 soundholes around the perimeter, whereas this has only 12 of the stars. The perimeter on this was never perforated. The top binding does seem to be fairly standard, though, judging from photo evidence:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=belt...ih=714&dpr=0.9

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I know it is hard to tell from the small photos on the CL site, but the "binding" on most of these I believe is painted on. I sold my acoustic one years ago so don't have an actual example to look at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90U-4418_front-detail.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	122182  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Body binding on the CL one appears to be painted as well, but the bound fretboard is indeed unusual.

Looks like it might go to a local buyer ... Eddie?

I'll have a look...

The case is one of those cardboard ones, and it's falling apart (I was hoping it was a teens Gibson A case). Definitely an electric only model, it has almost no volume unplugged. The binding on the neck i well done. Frets are worn. No cracks, splits or issues. Slight bow in neck but it's very playable. The P/U cover is missing and you can hear something moving around inside - probably a screw off the P/U cover. I didn't plug it in, but the seller says it works great - if I was going back I'd bring my Roland Cube. He is firm at $200. I have no interest in it.

Ah, well, he said he wanted to sell to someone local, but maybe he'll call me back if everyone in California passes on it. Given the removable back, one ought to be able to find out what's rattling inside of it.

If you want, Martin, I can get it for you and maybe Bruce could bring it back to Washington next time he's down?

I should have mentioned that the saddle may be reversed because the E strings are deep in big grooves and have a Sitar sound...