Thread: Who else writes actual songs on their CBOM?

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Who else writes actual songs on their CBOM?

Since I'm too new/lazy/restless/rubbish I actually don't spend nearly the time I'd love to on my mando family learning folk melodies.
    Sure, I've only been playing two and a half years anyway, so it's natural I'd play chords I guess given I have a frontman role in the band...

I was prompted to write this thread cause I've just been sat with the zouk capo'd at fifth writing a miserable ballad in some kind of eastern style signature

Am I the only one here?

I'd like to think I'm not!

Over to you songwriters.. gotta be some out there.. heck if I can rig up my camera I might even treat you in a few days..
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Default Re: Who else writes actual songs on their CBOM?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Since I'm too new/lazy/restless/rubbish I actually don't spend nearly the time I'd love to on my mando family learning folk melodies.
    Sure, I've only been playing two and a half years anyway, so it's natural I'd play chords I guess given I have a frontman role in the band...

I was prompted to write this thread cause I've just been sat with the zouk capo'd at fifth writing a miserable ballad in some kind of eastern style signature

Am I the only one here?

I'd like to think I'm not!

Over to you songwriters.. gotta be some out there.. heck if I can rig up my camera I might even treat you in a few days..

Im there with ya buddy. however i struggle with melody lines inbetween chords so i tend to play rolls similar to banjo playing. Its always nice having a song you wrote to play at a session! i might give ya a treat too. maybe we should have a whole new section for songwriters!

Hell yeah...
    I will try & post something, but waaaay too tired to concentrate on a flawless-for-the-camera piece at the moment...

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

4. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I have only HD my 805 about four months, but being I was playing it 4-8 hours a day, it was inevitable that some runs and progression would lead to an idea for a song. Have written three instrumentals, one has lyrics in the works. I have to be careful as often I come up with an idea only to realize it is a song that I was recently trying to learn.

I do find after a while my melody morphs into some old banjo tune or seeger song ive heard months before. but, that isnt a bad thing. Guys like him used the same tune for loads of songs.

You should never worry about that. You'll find something useful. Let's face it, in G D or A keys we're always going to write something someone else has..

You could try the more "eastern" sounding scales - harmonic minor keys etc..

Try writing stuff where your main chords are Gm Cm Dmaj.... I've made a whole 2.5 yr writing career out of those puppies

I knocked up a quick (possibly out of tune slightly!) recording during a thunderstorm. This one has vocal lines, but no words yet, so it's just the zouk for now...

Now it's your turn guys...
    Last edited by Lord of the Badgers; Aug-02-2014 at 8:04am.

My band's website

8. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I wrote one of my Mc tunes during a rainstorm,calls. Sitting on our screen porch with rain on the tin roof. Over the years a lot of my inspiration is during or right after rain. Also winter seems bring out my muse. Looking out the window at the snow and cold. But, let's not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    You should never worry about that. You'll find something useful. Let's face it, in G D or A keys we're always going to write something someone else has..

You could try the more "eastern" sounding scales - harmonic minor keys etc..

Try writing stuff where your main chords are Gm Cm Dmaj.... I've made a whole 2.5 yr writing career out of those puppies

I knocked up a quick (possibly out of tune slightly!) recording during a thunderstorm. This one has vocal lines, but no words yet, so it's just the zouk for now...

Now it's your turn guys...
    I like it! good job man. I will get around to recording something this week. Not sure how you use soundcloud though, im not a tech head at all!

Very pretty piece... I am recording a new song this week I wrote on the OM, standard tuning. I was watching a couple hawks at my job site for a few days. The female left for a while and the male was getting very vocal... she was gone for over 2 weeks... now they live in a big tree across the railroad tracks. Struck me as kind of sad, so I used mainly minors
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I have to re record the vocals this weekend

https://soundcloud.com/barry-wilson-18/fly-unfinished2wav
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Still just trying to figure out how/what to play on mine.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have stuck to plain vanilla mandolin rather than get an OM. Eventually, it will be great to play both but right now I am focusing more on mando.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Beth Patterson writes lots of different sorts of music on bouzouki.

www.bethpattersonmusic.com

There was a fellow who posted an instrument here on the Cafe classifieds, perhaps it was a Forster, who has nice youtube
    videos up with his original songs written on zouk. I know there are more...

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

15. The following members say thank you to steve V. johnson for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm particularly fond of Beth's interpretation of Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years":

Le sigh.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce